Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Mysterious, Numerous Brown Spots Overnight (Page 1)

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
Hello,

i noticed a lot of small brown spots on my right hand between my index finger and my thumb, spreading up to the cuticle on my thumb. It appeared overnight. There are about 20-30 of them, it looks like sun spot freckles. I was thinking maybe I had an allergic reaction to something, but it does not itch or hurt and it's been about 3 weeks now, it's not getting lighter. On my left hand in the same area, I have only a few but are almost the same color as my skin. Any idea anyone? And also, should I go to a general doctor or dermatologist??? I'm thinking dermatologist....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ssaturos
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Numerous Brown Spots On Hand
Hi- I was searching the internet for information on the above and only found your question regarding what is a condition I also have on the top of my left hand. The small brown spots appeared overnight and have not gone away - i've only had them for a couple of days but I am very concerened. The only information I can find in cyberspace is related to liverspots which I believe I am too young to acquire, I am 32, and also don't pertain to this situation as these spots are quite smaller and appeared all at once.

Did you find any information and/or did you ever seek medical help?

Thanks for your time...
|

replied June 26th, 2006
Spots
I noticed a couple days ago, these spots that seem to be the same as you describe. The appeared overnight and there are several of them. They are very small but there are several. I have been out in the sun alot lately but these spots are on my lower abdomen and a few more have appeared up closer to my chest. My darkest tan seems to be on my shoulders and back so i'm not sure what these are. I'm a little scared that they be skin cancer. I don't beleive these are age spots, since I am only 30. I will probably go to the doctor next week to see what they say, but just curious if you found anthing about your spots? Thanks , and best of luck.
|

replied June 26th, 2006
My spots went away about 1-2 weeks after that post. I think I got it from being in the really bright sun about 5 hours straight that day. I did not find anything regarding the spots.

Good luck. I was about to go to the doctor after a few weeks, but they went away, I guess it may have been some type of allergic reaction.
|

replied June 27th, 2006
Small Numerous Brown Spots
Hi, I still have the brown spots on my left hand but they seem to be getting lighter....I think it's strange that I don't have them anywhere else as there are other parts of my body that receive more sun. I do not have health insurance so I am not planning on going to the doctor unless they get darker or more appear. I am just monitoring the situation by applying sunscreen to that area when I am going to be in the sun for a long amount of time. Please let me know if you find anything out and good luck.
|

replied August 4th, 2007
Nervous
What the hell are these spots on my hand? I noticed 7 or 8 little spots on my index and pinky finger that are brown. They are not raised, don't itch, nothing. They just appeared it seems overnight. I've had them for 3 weeks now and I believe they are getting lighter, but I still don't know what from.

I've changed my diet to cut most carbs and eating more protein so that might have somthing to do with it. I thought eating tuna might play a role, but I only eat it every other day so mercury poisioning is out of the question.

I think I may stick to eating fruits and veggies for a week to see if that helps! If not, I'm going to the dermatologist ASAP!
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
I started taking muscle bulker filled with protienand i got the same thing....i picked them out lol....then i just looked at my hand tonigjt and saw even more but i likerubbed them out lol so idk if it was just sonething on my hand but i dont think so since it was in the sane exact spot..btw i work on a farm...play videogames...eat well...drink muslce bulker and nos blast
|

replied January 25th, 2008
No answers to small brown spots?
I have had these small, raised brown spots on my hand too. They have the diameter of a small pin or needle, but are noticeable because they appear in clusters. They appear on the palm area, around the fingers. Usually 20-30 on one hand, and a few on the other.

I have had this condition for years. I used to smoke, and I thought they were nicotine spots. But I quit more than 6 months ago, and they still come. They appear, and then they disappear, then reappear, sometimes in different places.

I sometimes use an exacto blade and simply slice them off - they are not very deep into the skin, I mean if you tried to just cut it off it only 1 or 2 layers deep, it does not bleed. They sometimes appear with tiny bubbles nearby which are not white, but which contain clear fluid (I don't slice those anymore!).

I wonder what these are, too. Surprised to see a few people report this but no answers. I only found this, like others, because I was searching to see what they were, so I described them hoping future searchers would find the same result - maybe someone will reply... or I guess I am off to the dermatologist.
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2008
Supporter
Hi
Hello all, from what I have read above, you all seem to have hte same dark spots which look like large freckles type places? These indeed are called "liver" or age spots and are caused from the sun. Not srue of your ages, but accordding to my dermotologist, whom I see EVERY year says you can get them at any age. I've had so many moles and places removed, not to mention malignamt melanoma in 2000. I have the age spots, yes I'm 50, but you'd never know it from looking at me...just my hands! I've had several of these spots frozen from my face and neck area. I also have them on my legs and arms....its from sun. There are fading creams you can buy, but save your $. These take time and lots of it. I am going to have several places frozen off this year as well. Hope the ones you guys have will fade and you won't have them as bad as poor OLD Fairy*Godmother...........who you calling OLD???????????????These are not bumps filled with anything like puni001 is describing...the ones I'm referring to are "age/liver spots. Hugs to all!
|

replied June 7th, 2011
Little Brown dots on my fingers
Although I have little brown spots on my fingers mine will get dry and they die off, with the medication the doctor gave me. but then more will come back. after a while, they just go away, but then 5 to 6 months they come back, I really want to know what they are. I am going to the doctor on Monday the 13th 2011 to find out what they are.
|

replied August 11th, 2008
same thing
hi, i have the same thing! on the top of my right hand i have about 20 small brown spots that are most similar to freckles; they are not painful, itchy, elevated, or anything like that. On my left hand i have a few as well, but they are much much lighter. i was in strong sun for about 5 hours two weeks ago, and they appeared seemingly overnight sometime after that.

i feel like they are fading, though i'm not 100% positive because if they are it is a very slow process. the only information i was able to find online was dealing with age spots; i'm pretty sure i'm too young to have those, and i always wear sunscreen anyway (though the tops of my hands would be the only place i neglect to do so all the time, i'd say).

i am really hoping mine are going to fade like two people before me in this thread...probably it is just from overexposure to the sun. i am on the birth control pill, and i think a side effect is extra sun sensitivity, so if these fade i'll probably attribute it to that and be extra careful with applying sunscreen EVERYWHERE Smile

did anyone actually go see a doctor about this?
|

replied September 2nd, 2008
Hello! I had the same thing on my right hand between my thumb and index finger. The spots faded about a week ago, and then just today I noticed more spots coming in the same place, but on my left hand now! I also have a brown line along the bottom of my left thumb!!?? It's really strange that they went away on one hand, but then came back on the other, and the brown spot at the bottom of my thumb is even more weird! I was wondering if anyone went to see a doctor or found anything more out about this?? Thank you!
|

replied June 15th, 2012
Stain on hands from lemon juice and being in the sun!
I have the same thing - woke up one morning and noticed on my right hand between my thumb and index finger stains. They are not dots but larger spots. They dont itch or both me. I also have them on my left hand but not as bad. Went to a dermatologist and he said it could be from LEMON and than going out into the sun. Sounds funny but I actually drink water w/ lemon and I must have had some lemon juice on my hands from the squeeze and than went out in the sun. So he gave me some some cream - its been about a week and not much has changed. Im scared that my hands will stay like this!!! Any suggestions would be great.
|

replied July 19th, 2012
Mine are larger as well - three nickel-sized blotches on back of my right hand from thumb to bottom of my ring finger. I also have to small spots on my thumbs. The first three showed up on the fourth of july and I just noticed the two n my thumbs today. My skin doesn't itch, they aren't raised or painful or peeling. No idea what's up.
|

replied September 3rd, 2008
I am having the exact thing on both my hands! In the same place, very strange. I have not been in the sun... could this be to do with too much alcohol? Not enough water? Honest to god, I have no idea what this is... could it be stress related? I have a few of the same kind of blury spots on my index and middle finger...

Curious if anyone has had the same issue and seen a doctor...
|

replied September 5th, 2008
zurichboy28 and ympshop,

it sounds like we had the exact same thing. i did go to see a doctor (not a dermatologist) about two weeks after they first appeared and didn't fade. he didn't have any idea what could have caused it. he said that some tropical fruits (like mangoes and limes) can darken skin where their juices have touched, so that's a possibility.

like i posted before, i know one side effect of the contraceptive pill is sun sensitivity, so maybe that could be a culprit if you are also on it.

i hadn't considered the not enough water or too much alcohol or stress...but i generally keep very hydrated and don't drink that much, and mine appeared over the summer when i theoretically am not so stressed so i don't think that that is the cause of mine...

being in the sun for about 5 hours at a waterpark seemed to me to be the root cause of it all...i didn't apply sunscreen to the tops of my hands that day.

the GOOD NEWS: the spots have pretty much completely faded (if you are looking for them some of the initially darker ones are still faint), and this is about a month (~5 weeks) after they first appeared. i have confidence that even the faint ones now will fade within the next few weeks.

IF your spots start itching or becoming raised, or anything like that, then i would recommend that you see your doctor, and obviously for peace of mind you might go anyway like i did.

hope this helps! Smile
|

replied September 14th, 2008
brown spots
hi..i got the same thing today when waking up..laast night my hands looked normaly and now i have rosty(brown,orange) spots on the right hand...first reaction is that is something i ate or..(i usually dont drink tea),but yesterday i had same arabic tea..and it could be some pigment substance in it ..wondering?very strange,i called medicals on their support number..but they didnot know what that could be...so if it doesnot disappear,then i have to go to the doctor...
|

replied September 15th, 2008
me too
i woke up this morning to some spots on both of my hands and i didn't have them yesterday. did anyone else drink alcohol over the weekend? my co-worker also got hem on his hands over the weekend. thats the only thing that i did different and now i have these brown spots on my hands. lets all backtrack and ask ourselves if we did drink a little too much and woke up with spotted hands. just a thought.
|

replied June 7th, 2011
I do not drink,alcohol but I do drink a lot of water. I am not out in the sun a lot either I do not have time, but I did go to the tanning bed. but mine dry up and looks like my skin is dying, then peels off. but then more comes back, so I am thinking it may be because I am not getting enough oxygen in my skin cells. Which I do stop breathing when I sleep. could this be the reason.
|

replied May 17th, 2012
exact same thing
This just happened to me last week! I was sitting on a patio and drinking all day (didn't drink any water while I was drinking) and woke up with these spots you are describing. Did they ever go away?
|

replied November 25th, 2008
Spots on the back of hand
I have been in no sun whatsoever but I do get these spots every now and then. They are about 1/8" to 1/4" wide, they first appear blood-red, and then they become brown and fade over time.
I have traced the pattern to lack of sleep, and I truly believe these are tiny internal bleeding because of excessive pressure. I asked my doctor and he had no idea, and I am no doctor, but that is my feeling. I keep waiting for this Hemorrhaging to happen in my head one of these nights instead of my hands and I won't wake up; talk about adding stress to stress!
|

replied February 5th, 2009
brown spots on hands
hello - i noticed a few light brown "stains" on my hands between my fingers. Not like a sunspot.
It comes and goes.
Anyone have any idea what it could be?
|

replied February 7th, 2009
brown spots on upper left hand
I too have notice this morning that i had small pen point brown spots on my left hand. i am 27 yrs old and am very concern about this matter. i do smoke about 2 a day and thats usually when my kids are asleep so they won't know of my bad habit. i am not in the sun very often and i don't drink enough fluids and if i do it's usually juice .i know no one is a physician but if you have any information on this i would appreciate any input on it . thank you !!!!!!!
|

replied February 21st, 2009
brown/orange spots on fingers
I got them overnight too, however I'm pretty dark skined naturally, and haven't been in the sun for a while.

so I'm sure it isn't from sun sensitivity as I'm too dark to be sensitive to it.

But I'm worried that its cancer or something and I'm only 20
|

replied February 16th, 2012
I have the same concerns!! Last night my hands and arms were normal and this morning I woke up with the light brown stains on my wrists. I am dark, have not been in the sun and I'm only23
|

replied August 17th, 2012
Hello there. I got the same thing Sad I have blood stain-like dots between my index and thumb. i only slept for more or less 3 hrs now. I am stress lately. And just the other day I am 40 hours awake. Does it make any sense now?
you guys are old, but I am only 15... i need to remove this thing outta my hands...
|

replied March 10th, 2009
strange
Why haven't any doctors replied to these posts? It was my understanding that these forums are supposed to be moderated by people in the medical profession.

This string of posts suggests a need that has yet to be addressed.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
Weird brown spots
I too had these little brown spots on the hand. They didnt hurt or itch. My hands just looks dirty. They faded after about 5 weeks. I painted and did some household cleaning. Could the spots have been a reaction to all the chemicals from the cleaning supplies and paint? I also used latex gloves? Any ideas anyone?
|