Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

What Does a Mucus Plug Look Like? (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
Okay for the past two days i've been having chunks of what looks like snot (sorry, I know it's gross but i'm trying to give enough info). It's clear/white and that's why I don't think it's my mucous plug. My pregnancy book said that it would be pink or blood-tinged. My husband however disagrees and said that I am probably losing it in pieces. What do you guys think? Is it ever not bloody?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile SamanthaM
|

replied May 9th, 2006
Experienced User
Thats your mucus plug mine was never bloody with my last baby it can be cunks bye chunks with my first baby there was blood in it..

When you lose your mucus plug, it may be a little or a lot of gel like material. It will may be in a glob, stringy or just wetness. The mucus plug is clear to yellow-brownish in color, but may also be pinkish.

Hope this helps and good luck with loosing it means labor will come on soon..They say to 2hour if lucky or a few days too weeks..Do take lots of walks

*mary*
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I just talked to my doctor. I wanted to get some opinions while I was waiting for her to get into the office. She says that it's definitely my mucous plug and she wants me to go in today. Which I can't do bcuz I can't get to her office from where I live without lining everything up in advance but since I go in on thursday I should be fine. She told me to drink a lot of fluids and watch out for signs of labor.
|

replied May 9th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Ooooh, exciting!
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
This is really starting to freak me out. Nobody has any definite time frame for how soon I can go into labor after these symptoms first start to appear. I keep hearing two weeks. I heard two weeks after the baby dropped which was closer to a month ago. I heard two weeks after I started the prodromal labor which is right now. Now i'm losing my plug and they're still telling me two weeks. What the heck? Is everything two weeks? Why don't they just say that these are not definite signs that i'll be in labor anytime soon? Why don't they just say that they have no clue? Grrrrrr!!! Oh well. Hopefully he'll be here soon I am beyond exhausted.
|

replied March 24th, 2012
i know exactly how you feel hun i have lost my mucus plug as well and have been having contractions alot lately. every time i've gone to the hospital for my contractions because they were 10 mins apart they sent me home, and told me to come back when my water brakes. It is beyond frustrating i'm due the 12th of april but my dr also said i can have my daughter any day now but not actually giving me a definite answer. Honestly i think that doctors just like to make you wait..... lol but good luck to hunnie and congrats on your little man hope all goes smoothly for you. ^,^
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Re: What Does a Mucus Plug Look Like?
tigresacanela24 wrote:
okay for the past two days i've been having chunks of what looks like snot (sorry, I know it's gross but i'm trying to give enough info). It's clear/white and that's why I don't think it's my mucous plug. My pregnancy book said that it would be pink or blood-tinged. My husband however disagrees and said that I am probably losing it in pieces. What do you guys think? Is it ever not bloody?

woah this has happened to me in the past 2 days also....Yet I wasnt entirely 100% whether it was my plug! And today it .R.E.A.L.L.Y. Feels like he is going to fall out. I think we re gonna have our babies around the same time, even though im a few weeks ahead!
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2006
Supporter
nataliachick7 wrote:
tigresacanela24 wrote:
okay for the past two days i've been having chunks of what looks like snot (sorry, I know it's gross but i'm trying to give enough info). It's clear/white and that's why I don't think it's my mucous plug. My pregnancy book said that it would be pink or blood-tinged. My husband however disagrees and said that I am probably losing it in pieces. What do you guys think? Is it ever not bloody?

woah this has happened to me in the past 2 days also....Yet I wasnt entirely 100% whether it was my plug! And today it .R.E.A.L.L.Y. Feels like he is going to fall out. I think we re gonna have our babies around the same time, even though im a few weeks ahead!

i lost mine almost 2 weeks ago, and nothing is happening. Don't get your hopes up.
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Well, two weeks is better than a month, I am sorry, I just could not resist! It is a start anyway, how many weeks are you, keep walking and don't forget the sex(ha, ha) hopefully soon you will be in the delivery room! Did you say you are having a natural or c-section. You will know more when you see the dr, hopefully you will not have to hear two weeks unless it is needed.
The best to you and yours!
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
sandyallen wrote:
well, two weeks is better than a month, I am sorry, I just could not resist! It is a start anyway, how many weeks are you, keep walking and don't forget the sex(ha, ha) hopefully soon you will be in the delivery room! Did you say you are having a natural or c-section. You will know more when you see the dr, hopefully you will not have to hear two weeks unless it is needed.

is that directed towards me? Lol
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2006
Experienced User
You can lose your mucous plug as early as 2 to 4 weeks before labor begins. Heck, if you've been pregnant before you can lose your plug more than once because it regenerates itself. It is .N.O.T a sign of labor. If you're in the last few days of your pregnancy anyway, it's usually a coincidence if you lose your plug and then go in to labor.
|

replied May 9th, 2006
I thought you weren't supposed to have sex once you lose your mucus plug?
|

replied March 6th, 2013
correction, you are not suppose to have sex after your water has broken because it can cause all type of infection and the vaginal area since it is no longer protected.
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2006
Experienced User
Mucus Plug
Lol, it totally looked like snot to me (or, you know when your husband's semen comes back out- like a huge ol' lump of that)
i only saw it with my second baby, and I went into labour the same day
(in the evening).

I saw it in the morning, waht had happened was, I was feeling this... Sensation in my sleep... All kinds of sexy sensations it was going on for ages.. So when I was a bit more awake, I accosted my poor still-half asleep husband.
I went back to sleep, poor husband had to go off to work. When I did get up, I went to the toilet and .H.E.L.L.O !!!!!! I knew it was too much and too solid to be from sex earlier. The sexy sensations I had been feeling were due to my cervix starting to dialate. I felt normal for the rest of the day.
I went into labour at about 6.30-7pm that same evening (my due date!!!) baby was born at 23 minutes after midnight.

You can have sex after yuo lose the mucus plug, it's after your water breaks that you are not supposed to.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied May 9th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
tigresacanela24 wrote:

holy !**@! girl!! Lol...The day I went into labor I was wiping and it literally looked like I blew my nose in my toilet paper!! My discharge was normally heavy...But that day it was immense!! Of course I don't want you to go into labor yet...You've still got a while!!

Like I said before, the last few weeks are the most intense!!! Do like your .Dr says and drink .L.O.T.S of water!! I mean lots!! I went into the hospital with my huge mug full of water that i'd been killing all day!!

You're in my prayers!! Let you m&m have time to grow...Cross your legs and refuse to let him out!!Hhahaa

sarah
|

replied May 9th, 2006
Lol el, that's hilarious about your husband.

And thanks for clearing that up... I knew i'd heard something about not having sex after some landmark pregnancy event because of infection.
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
sandyallen wrote:
well, two weeks is better than a month, I am sorry, I just could not resist! It is a start anyway, how many weeks are you, keep walking and don't forget the sex(ha, ha) hopefully soon you will be in the delivery room! Did you say you are having a natural or c-section. You will know more when you see the dr, hopefully you will not have to hear two weeks unless it is needed.

i'm 38 weeks now and i'm planning on natural if I can stand it. I see the doctor tomorrow and I can't wait because the pressure is killing me!! And the cramps are really irritating. Maybe he'll come this weekend, woohoo!!!
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:
tigresacanela24 wrote:

holy !**@! girl!! Lol...The day I went into labor I was wiping and it literally looked like I blew my nose in my toilet paper!! My discharge was normally heavy...But that day it was immense!! Of course I don't want you to go into labor yet...You've still got a while!!

Like I said before, the last few weeks are the most intense!!! Do like your .Dr says and drink .L.O.T.S of water!! I mean lots!! I went into the hospital with my huge mug full of water that i'd been killing all day!!

You're in my prayers!! Let you m&m have time to grow...Cross your legs and refuse to let him out!!Hhahaa

sarah

sarah, babies are considered full term at 38 weeks. That's why they tell you the 2wk before/2wk after due date thing. I'm tired of being pregnant he's baked enough. He was six lbs about a month ago. If he's gained weight like they think he should be about 8 lbs by now. As far as i'm concerned that's enough i'm not trying to give birth to godzilla. :lol: besides as long as he's normal weight when he's born i'm happy. I can always fatten him up when he gets here. I'm just so tired of not sleeping and having my hips hurt and feeling crampy and leaking like a faucet and the back pain (long list, huh?) I want him out now. .N.O.W!!! :lol:
|

replied October 10th, 2007
I'm a first time mom and 18. I don't even know what a real contraction feels like let alone know what a mucous plug looks like. I am 35 weeks pregnant and a little scared of what to expect. But I just used the restroom like 20 minutes ago and saw like this white/clearish floaty thing just chilling in the toilet. I'm wondering if this is my mucous plug? I remember reading that someone said they where like extremly "wet" all day( she said its like you blew alot of snot in a tissue) and thats how I've been all day today... I don't know what to think or if I should be worried?
|

replied October 11th, 2007
Experienced User
im 39 weeks so im about ready to pop anyway,i had mucus thing through the night on tue and a bit on wed morning.. mine was clear and it looked like a blob of jelly
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
even though this post is so old and has been bumped it's so cute to look back on when you girls were pregannt Smile
|

replied October 12th, 2007
Experienced User
im still pregnant sob sob
|
12 >>
Quick Reply