Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Feeling Like I`m Falling.. (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Does anyone get these feelings ?? When i`m having a bad time with total anxiety and panic combo,my mind starts go think allsorts of things,and some of those thoughts are really scary,like death and dying..Some days it feels like i`m on a boat in rough seas,everything is moving and I lose all sense of direction..But the most horrible thing is feeling like the whole world is falling,it frightens me and I start to panic even more..Some of the negative things I think about alot of the time is usually at night when i`m on my own,or in the morning when I first wake up..Another thing I cant handle is travelling,especially on a motorway,if I go some where and end up on a motorway,when the car gets up to 70mph,i go all light headed and sick,and dizzy,i also think that the world is spinning and the car is going to spin off in to space..Its horrible...I also cant stand lifts,boxed in,it particular frightens me when the lift is going down,i freek out almost imedietly,another think,is,i rarely venture out these days,but when I do on the odd occassion,sometimes I go on the bus,i sometimes go dizzy and panic,i get really hot and sweat,sometimes I feel the need to just get off,no matter how far away from home I am..But the worst part is,when i`m stood up waiting for bus to stop,i`m ok,but when the bus does stop and I get off,the ground moves real bad,and I lose my balance,agghhh i`m freeking out just thinking about it..The latest episode happened when we bought a large trampolene for my sons 3rd birthday,everyone was bugging me to have a go on it,so I said ok,when I got off,the same feelin came over me,it was horrible...
I`ve had this feelin for years and years,i`ve never told anyone until now,i`m telling you guys for the first time..If no one else has had these feelings i`m gonna look real silly...I feel silly telling you lot...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper loopy-one
|

replied May 8th, 2006
Anxiety
Don't feel silly. Congratulate yourself for finally having the courage to tell someone about it. At least on here you know that there's people who can relate to what you are saying!
So well done for saying something, its awful to bottle it all up and hide the feelings. People maybe understand more than you think.

I have recently been having panic attacks (worse than usual) it started after my friend died 10 months ago but in the last few days I feel in a constant state of anxiety and keep feeling light headed, dizzy, and really afraid etc.

You're not alone and you're certainly not silly for telling "us guys".
A lot of the difficulty with anxiety and panic I think is you become afraid of the feeling itself. You become anxious about being anxious, at least that is how I am. You start to expect the feeling, and then it makes it worse.

Ok, I am new to proper panic attacks (i've only ever really had the on-set of one, which I learned to control from the age of 16 and I am now 32...) but this is how I suggest you can get help:
1) tell a doctor
2) try to tell someone who is close to you, if you think they might understand
3) keep chatting to people on here - it may help you to feel more supported or at least less alone in how you feel
4) try not to panic about feeling panic! When I am driving and feel anxious, I take deep breaths. Tell yourself you have managed these feelings for years so yo are in control of it more than you think you are.
5) take a long deep breath and breath out through your mouth, don't breath in through your mouth though. Keep taking deep breaths whenever you start to feel dizzy or whatever it is you feel. Taking deep breaths helps you to calm down.
6) be objective and positive, tell yourself "what is happening around me, I am actually ok, nothing bad is actually happening, this will pass and I can feel better later on". Say "it is only a panic attack, although it feels very horrible, I am not dying and i'll get through it.
7) focus your mind on something else, if you can. Do something, like go for a walk or do a household chore. Take deep breaths and try to think about something nice and positive - easy said I know!
8) feel good about yourself that you have been managing these panic attacks, you can handle it because you have been doing so for years.
9) know you're not alone, hundreds of people get this too.
10) remind yourself it doesn't have to be forever, it can go away!! It really can go away. But you have to be patient and try not to fight it. Accept it, acknowledge it, but take control by not letting it stop you doing things.
Hope this helps. Please do pop back on here and let us know how you get on.
|

replied May 8th, 2006
Experienced User
You should never feel silly for telling someone about problems - well done, you deserve lots of praise, it's a dang hard thing to do... :)
|

replied May 8th, 2006
Cheers Guys
Yeh thanks for the support guys,its nice to finally meet people that can actually relate to all the different symptoms all of us are suffering..Unfortunately I have almost all the same symptoms that everyone else on this site is suffering from,it really has totally ruined my life completely..I`ve suffered almost all of my life,infact i`ve never really had a life,its been dogged by this nasty disease,its totally cruel the way we`ve all been delt these cards...Its not right,i would`nt wish this on my worst enemy..Bang out of order...
|

replied March 8th, 2009
`i am thirty years old and have been suffering his strange feeling when getting off buses getting off trains when walking past moving traffic its aken over my life i dont g any where unless i can walk there if you would like to talk about these feelings im always here write me.
|

replied July 19th, 2009
Is this Anxiety?
I am 27 y/o and struggling with panic for the past 3 years. I hate trains, bridges, tunnels, and elevators. I try to avoid them at all costs. My Anxiety had calmed down over the last few months up until 2 weeks ago wen there was traffic in a tunnel I had to go through. I got myself into more of a panic then ever. Today the weirdest thing happened to me. I woke up, had some cereal and sat on the couch. All of a sudden, it felt like the couch dropped, I jumped up and was dizzy, I had to hold onto the furniture and started shaking. My heart started racing. I dont know what that was but it was the scariest thing. After reading your posts, I know realize it was anxiety...but over what?? I wasnt thinking or nervous, I was just sitting and relaxing. This is scary.
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2009
Anxiety and the Falling Sensation
I am experiencing the drop feeling as well. It is so true that this illness can consume you. I am thirty six and I have had bouts with this all my life. As I have gotten older and gone through many things, it seems to worsen. My GP just doesn't get it! when I feel like people don't understand that is what is upsetting. We can get through this, the magic question is how? The sensation of moving is so nerve wracking. I truly believe that when our bodies have gotten to this point it is due to damaged nerves caused by anxiety. Is there a cure for that? Our nerves are overworked, I do this twenty four seven, it is like going through a never ending loop and it's exhausting. I pray to God that he helps me through this, and I have faith that he will. I am trusting and not doubting that this too shall pass. Everyone hang in there and hold on knowing that this will soon end...BELIEVE IT!
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2010
I too suffer with all of these symptoms mentioned here! We will all make it through this ordeal. It''s just going to take some time....me it''s been most of my life. I''m just looking forward till the day I can hop in my car and take a drive all by myself! I really miss those days!
|

replied May 29th, 2010
I know how u feel about doctors not understanding...when i first started having these attacks it would only last a few seconds but then 1 day i was on the expressway and had a really big one and so i went to the doctor..(at the time I had never even heard of panic disorder so i was wondering if i was losing my mind) when the doctor heard my story he called in his 'colleagues' to have a listen to this (seemed to me) newly discovered illness and when he did that my heart dropped...i thought the white coats were coming for sure!!

that was in my late twenties..i'm 51 and still dealing with this although it seems to only really hit me hard while i'm driving at speeds above 45 and then only in certain traffic situations or locations otherwise i can go 75 with no plm ...so it seems to have something to do with others' behavior or perception of me or the level of danger due to other drivers

but then there are some times when i'm walking (usually where i'm not near anything i can touch (like a room with no furniture) and i feel unsteady on my feet...for example, i have to have a shopping basket just to go into walmart to get 1 thing! otherwise i feel dizzy and then i feel like everybody knows i've got a problem of some kind and so it gets worse by the minute

i have resorted to taking a xanax .5 to 'smooth off the rough edges' and it works...i also found that if i exercise regularly i don't expeience them nearly as much...but i mean i have to really exhaust all my muscles (about an hour of walking and 30 minutes of weights)

i'm going to gatlinburg from memphis here in the next few weeks and i'm already stressing over the drive but i will have my .5s with me (because i can't even ride as a passenger during an episode)

i feel for all those who have this disorder and would not wish it on anyone but it sure is good to know i'm not alone
|

replied May 29th, 2010
I also suffer from a feeling of falling. It is nothing to play around with and it has me quite scared. I just want to go back to feeling like myself again, what have I done that was so bad as to afflict this on me?

I'm also on Xanax .25 but it doesnt help me much. I'm only 28 and I feel like Im already losing my mind.
|

replied May 30th, 2010
but jason, you're NOT losing ur mind...there's all kinds of reasons this could be happening to thousands upon thousands of people across the u.s. could be because we're 'plugged into' some sort of electronic device nearly all of our waking moments (radios, mp3s, cells, laptops, cable, etc. communicating with someone about something nearly all day long and then there's cokes, coffee, little or no exercise.....1 doctor told me years ago that the energy in my mind has to expend itself somehow...so if i'm not going to exercise then it will come out in its own way....??? and remember, panic attacks are all in the mind and have no rationality behind them whatsoever

another theory i have is boredom on the road...because i know that when i drive somewhere i've never been before i am so busy 'seeing new things' that i don't think about the possibility of an attack and so it doesn't happen

tell ur doctor how u feel and maybe he or she will be able to relate and therefore help u out...years ago i took clorazepam for it and that helped a lot...even better than the xanax and (to me) clorazepam is much less addictive and has a milder 'feel' to it but works better at the same time so i'm seeing my doctor next week and am going to request to go back to that

good luck!
|

replied January 9th, 2013
I know the feeling. I think mine stems from phobia's from when I was younger, but I could be wrong. One morning I awakened and I felt like I was spinning. My heart began to race, so I had to tell myself to calm down. I phoned my roommate to my room and ask for coffee and I took 2 aspirins. It took me an hour just to be able to get out of the bed. My roommate had to help me to the bathroom. Once I was up, I made it back to my bedroom and the rest of the day, I was going through anxiety and panic attacks. Night came and I went to the emergency room. They wanted my to lay flat on my back with my head back in this thing, to do a cat scan, but every time I tried, I felt like I was falling and I'd raise back up. They gave me a pill and 30 minutes later they tried again with no success. So, I had to do it while laying on my stomach and face down. The doctor could not find anything wrong with me. When I got home, I had to prop two pillows up so I could fall asleep face down with my elbows on the pillows and my arms across my forehead. The next day I had to do something. I had read somewhere on the internet that sudafed might help. I went to the dollar store and bought there version. It helped some and I would have to watch Youtube music videos to keep from thinking I was losing my mind. I went ahead and made an appointment with the local mental clinic. They prescribed Citalopram and it actually did the trick as for as me thinking I was losing my mind and kept anxiety and panic attacks under control. I was also prescribed Ambien, because I'd lay for 2 or 3 hours trying to fall asleep. I may have misspelled some words, because my brain tends to go faster than my hands at times, so please over look it. I hope and pray that anyone who suffers from this illness... please go to your local mental health and/or make an appointment with them. This illness can make you feel helpless and make you feel lazy and/or not having an interest in anything. May God bless all and do seek help.
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
I know exactly how this person feels about the world falling feeling IV need dealing with this for about 15 years now and I am 28 its made my life hell and stopped me from doing many of the things I would love to do
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
I know exactly how this person feels about the world falling feeling IV need dealing with this for about 15 years now and I am 28 its made my life hell and stopped me from doing many of the things I would love to do
|

replied April 15th, 2013
ive had a rocking, swaying, falling sensation everyday for three months. i thought it was inner ear related as it sounds similar ive seen an ent who doesnt think its inner ear related but didnt do any tests. i cant seem to convince myself that this is anxiety. i want it to be so i can work on it. id love to talk to someone who feels like this so i no anxiety can cause this. if anyone would like to talk. thanks
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2013
yes danielle anxiety can certainly cause dizziness. I have been suffering from anxiety and panic disorder for 6 months now. many of my attacks include dizziness and a feeling of shaking through my body (which cannot be seen but which I can feel), i also feel objects moving when I look at them which are actually still. i cant convince myslef that this is all anxiety related but I have had a full medical work up and nothing has come up. it all started with an infection which i was hospitalized for but was cured. the anxiety stemmed from that time. so in short, yes that swaying and falling could be anxiety
|

replied April 18th, 2013
what kind of infection if you dont mind me asking. ive been afraid that its inner ear related but my ent didnt seem to think so but didnt test me. is ur dizziness constant? i had a vomiting bug just before this all started. ive seen things moving which are actually still too when i was really bad three months ago. i havent had one day where ive not felt movement. is their anywhere else we cud talk. its been so difficult fibdibg anyone who feels the same way
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2013
I had a kidney infection. I dont think that the infection itself had anything to do with the dizziness but it was the first time I had ever been really sick and in the hospital so I think that that is what set off my anxiety. Dizziness can be caused by an inner ear infection or imblance and there is a test called a VNG which can confirm it if your dr thinks thats what the problem is. I am a doctor myself so I know about this. My dizziness happens everyday but not 24/7. It comes in little bursts for a few seconds where I feel myself sway or lose balance but no one else around me sees me sway or stumble. I have been living with this for 6 months. Its hard to believe but anxiety can cause very many physical symptoms and dizziness is one of the most common. sometimes almost a feeling that you're floating outside yourself and it can be really scary. If your general dr has given u a clean bill of health then maybe you should speak with a psychologist or psychiatrist. anxiety and the physical symptoms it causes are cery real but can be treated, slowly but surely.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 19th, 2013
yes ive heard of that test but i seen an ent and he said that he doesnt think its inner ear related as my dizziness was gradual and i wasnt spinning and he sent me home however ive looked online and some people say different. do you think that the vomiting bug could of set my anxiety off i thought the virus would of caused damage to the inner ear. i am constantly swaying and rocking and bopping. im exhausted. whays the best way to treat anxiety. the beta blockers im on arent helping much as alot of it is in my head its not just physical.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2013
A stomach bug itself shouldn't cause dizziness but any kind of sickness or stress in life can cause anxiety. And part if anxiety is dizziness. Beta blockers are not how constant anxiety is treated. They are used more for performance anxiety like stage fright or before giving a speech. They are also blood pressure medicines. If they are causing your blood pressure to drop then that may make u more dizzy. I take klonopin. It was a bad choice because it is addictive medication. I would not go on anything in that class of meds called benzos. Anxiety and panic are treated much the same way as depression. With meds called ssri. Like Prozac or Zoloft. They just take about 4 weeks to start working. Do u have any symptoms of depression by the way ? Sadness crying loss of appetite, poor sleep, loss of pleasure and interest in activities that u normally like, excessive fatigue?
|