Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Can Anyone Else Hear Anything While Having a Seizure

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Sometimes while having a seizure I can hear, just wondering if anyone else can. I would like to know what happens to other people. I shouldnt be sitting at the pc either Confused When I do I get a sudden feeling of sinking through the chair. Its kinda like dissassociation. Damn I cant spell.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper valleygull
|

replied January 8th, 2004
I Can Hear But I Can't Respond
I hear that's fairly common in a partial abscence seizure however. Sometimes when I concentrate I surface a little and stutter.
|

replied January 9th, 2004
Experienced User
Weird Stuff
Its weird hey. I cant talk but I can make weird noises I can not help it. I can hear sometimes its like hearing someone talk when you are underwater or something.
|

replied January 20th, 2004
When I used to have my petite mal seizures before I had my grand I would hear and see this toaster singing but could a lot of times still see everything around me and I could hear people. After a while I learned that I could tell people to hold on a sec and let it pass.
|

replied January 22nd, 2004
Experienced User
Hearing Is Odd
My hearing goes really weird. Its hard to explain. I can hear but it sounds like i'm under h20. My body feels numb. Iv'e tried to share my experince w/ ppl on here, but I get no feedback. My stomach hurts like i;m going to have a bowel movement but I never do. I even fell it coming on like a minute before it happens. Most of the time I know in the morning when I wake up I know i'm going to have them. Sometimes they last for 2 to 3 min. Jamie
|

replied January 28th, 2004
Experienced User
Yes, I Can Hear....
Hello all, new here......

It all depends on how bad my seizures are but, for the most part I am aware of almost everything that is going on around me. Alot of people don't belive me, even the doctors didn't until I was in the hospital having a grand mal and my husband was kind of coaching me through it not to hold my breath, and to try to breath normal. There are times though I don't remember awhole lot of the details of what is going on but I do hear things and see things.
|

replied February 2nd, 2004
This is weird...I thought that maybe it was just me. I was wonder why somehow I could hear people talking around me but I can't respond or anything. So I was beginning to think that I am possible somehow bringing this upon myself. But I know deep down and expecially now that I can hear people around me and that I can feel them coming on most of the time. I am so greatful for this forum.

I hear people talking. It usually sounds like they are in a tunnel or far away that. It is not all the time that I hear. I can't respond and I don't catch everything. But sometimes I can remember. I remembered my husband complaining to somebody that I wasn't able to get enough sleep and that I didn't take care of myself. I am having a hard time believing that I really can't do all the things I used to do a few years ago.
|

replied February 9th, 2004
When i'm having a complex-partial and someone is trying to talk to me, it is like they are behind a fan. (i hear their words, but they sound choppy). As the seizure progresses, it gets harder and harder to understand what is being said until eventually I can't understand anything at all.

A.I.W.L.
|

replied April 18th, 2004
For me, it's really weird. I can't hear the people around me at all, but I can hear myself, speaking in clear words, but I think it's all in my head. All I do is make strange noises, but in my head I actually think that I can talk and people can understand me..
|

replied April 19th, 2004
I Can Hear While In Partial/petit
I tend to go into a partial first thing in the morning as I wake up. Quite often I won't even have opened my eyes when I realise what is happening. But i'm trapped in there and I cant make any kind of noise or movement - damn its scary! Shocked
|

replied April 26th, 2004
New here, sounds I hear are muffled...At times sounds are like charlie brown's teacher
|

replied October 12th, 2004
This is actually more common than people think...Having these types of changes in hearing right before seizure. In fact, I work with a group that is doing research on this exact type of epilepsy. We have actually discovered a gene that raises the risk for this form of epilepsy and are now conducting more research on it. If you're interested in finding out more about this, please visit our webiste at www.Epilepsygenetics.Org
|

replied April 11th, 2005
My mom told me she could hear when she's having her seizures. She said it sounds like i'm in a tunnel when i'm talking to her while she's having them. It seems to bring her around quicker after she has had them. Dunno, maybe that's just my wishful thinking.
|

replied April 13th, 2005
Experienced User
Hello And Thankyou All For Posting to My Subject
Yes it does infact resemble a sound of being in a tunnel, I once asked my neurologist if it were possible for me to be able to hear during these episodes and he said yes certainly, but he said what is more likley to be happening is that what you hearing is what happend or took place moments before you dropped to the floor and the reactions of ppl. Sometimes I feel like I see ppl looking at me scared and it makes me wanna just get outta there as soon as I can. But I aint that lucky coz I cant walk for a while after wards. But yeah cutting a long story short my neurologist said its more like a record in your brain getting played over and over of what ppl saw and said that is how I feel scared sick and alone.
|

replied April 16th, 2005
Experienced User
My son had a tonic clonic in church last week. He could hear us for about a minute before it looked like he was even close to coming around. He later told me what others said, including my voice close up saying "he is ok"......

He could not open his eyes or speak but wanted to....Just could not move....
|

replied April 21st, 2005
I can hear, usually, but I have a ringing in my ears or buzzing.
|

replied July 19th, 2010
Hearing during Seizure
I get zone outs 4 yrs after head injury that last 30sec to over 2 minutes. Set off by lights, crowds, and over stim of brain. They are like absence, one of my neuros told me.
I feell trapped in my body and can not move. voices sound like they are fading off like you are going under or coming out of surgery and can not respond verbally or move.
|

replied July 19th, 2010
Hearing during Seizure
I get zone outs 4 yrs after head injury that last 30sec to over 2 minutes. Set off by lights, crowds, and over stim of brain. They are like absence, one of my neuros told me.
I feell trapped in my body and can not move. voices sound like they are fading off like you are going under or coming out of surgery and can not respond verbally or move.
|

replied July 31st, 2012
Midnight wrote:
This is weird...I thought that maybe it was just me. I was wonder why somehow I could hear people talking around me but I can't respond or anything. So I was beginning to think that I am possible somehow bringing this upon myself. But I know deep down and expecially now that I can hear people around me and that I can feel them coming on most of the time. I am so greatful for this forum.

I hear people talking. It usually sounds like they are in a tunnel or far away that. It is not all the time that I hear. I can't respond and I don't catch everything. But sometimes I can remember. I remembered my husband complaining to somebody that I wasn't able to get enough sleep and that I didn't take care of myself. I am having a hard time believing that I really can't do all the things I used to do a few years ago.

This is exactly how I feel... It's weird, it's as if people are all around me even when im on my own, and they talking or calling out... Once, I had a seizure and I swear my aunt, who had passed away earlier, had helped me out of the seizure by talking to me... It's sounds made up but it's really strange that it's all I heard that particular seizure, but the others I can often hear lots of people, like a crowd in a tunnel all muffled and incoherent...
Gary.
|

replied June 11th, 2013
I am so thankful for all these posts. I've only been having seizures for a few weeks but I've been to the er twice. Once earlier today. They said it can't be a seizure if I can hear. I'm not a doctor, but I felt they were wrong. It's usually only when I'm coming around that I can hear but my husband can coach me from going back into one sometimes. I've yet to see the neuro or have all the tests ran, but I'm finding comfort in groups like these. Thank you.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Andre V Strizhak
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov