Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

Horrible Foot And Leg Cramps!

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
I am 46 years old and although I haven't been told by a doctor that I am going through menopause, I haven't had a period in well over a year, so I am assuming that is the case.

Anyway, I have over the past year been having a horrible problem with anytime I even slightly (and I do mean slightly) excersize my legs, I spend hours on end that evening with the worst cramps ever. I mean I think I would rather go through childbirth again than to get these, they are that painful. It seems that they start either in the top of my ankle (where my foot curves up to my leg) or the right upper side of my calf. Not only that but I have noticed my toes and feet have constant pulling and jerking sensations in them, almost like a pre-cramps that drive me nuts and cause me to constantly jiggle my feet to stop the feeling.
I hate that I can't even walk around the block or go to the store without paying dearly for it that night. Does anyone have any ideas because I have tried drinking tons of water (my husband thought I might be dehydrated) and even tried upping my salt intake. I just don't know what to do, but I do know that I can't go the rest of my life not walking because i'll gain a ton of weight just sitting around all the time.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Beirut Veteran Wife
|

replied May 7th, 2006
Leg Cramps
I was suffering from constant leg cramps and a sales rep from the pharmaceutical company I work for told me that her pharmacist had recommended taking two tablespoons of mylanta every day. She did that and has not had leg cramps for two years.

I tried it for about two days... And have not had a leg cramp since. I've stopped taking the mylanta but if I have them again i've got it on the shelf! This really seems to work!

Good luck!
|

replied May 7th, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply. Mylanta huh? Wouldn't that replace the leg cramps with the trots or something along those lines? I mean, i'd be willing to try it, but I want to make sure i'm not going to spend every night in the bathroom....Hehe :)
|

replied May 15th, 2006
I've never had any problem with that with mylanta. It's not a laxative... It's used mainly for indigestion just like maalox or pepto bismal. Once I had an ulcer and my dr recommended that for my stomach. I can't believe how quickly it took away my nightly leg cramps and so far they haven't returned! :)
|

replied November 28th, 2010
Leg cramps
It's possible that Mylanta has calcium in it. If the leg cramps are caused by a calcium deficiency then mylanta, tums, or any other over the counter calcium supplement would help.
Moderate exercise is usually good as it helps circulation. I'd ask what shoes you're wearing and if there's a connection between certain shoes (with heels, or just a lack of support) and the leg cramps. Shoes wear out, and even shoes that were supportive last year can loose their support and lead to cramping in the legs.
Stretching your calves before bed is another good idea. Stand in a short lunge (one leg in front of the other, front leg slightly bent) pressing the weight into the back heel. You should feel a stretch in the back calf.
|