Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Stomach After Antibiotics? (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Had to take antibiotics a few weeks ago for two weeks and even with a probiotic along with it my stomach is acting up, ever since. A lot of heartburn, rumbling and loose stools off and on. Just wondering if anyone else gets this and if so, instead of probiotic pills, are there any foods that help this situation. I'm lactose intolerant so I can't take yogurt. I was told it eventually reconciles itself but any advice welcomed. Thanks for any feedback!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Hi flourgirl,

sorry you haven't gotten a response in over a month. I've been searching for the same answer actually. I was on doxycycline (an antibiotic) for 3 weeks due to a tick bite in order to prevent lyme disease. On the very last day of the treatment I started getting chest pains and stomache cramps. I finished the treatments, but now 5 days later the pains and stomach problems haven't gotten much better. I've been on protonix (aka pantoprazole) which is a ppi (protein pump inhibitor) for the past 4 days too. Ppis are taken to help heal esophagal irritations and ulcers (my doctor put me on it). So i'm suprised i'm still having problems, especially with the chest pains. I've had tons of cardio exams in the last year for another problem, so I can rule out heart problems pretty much. But if it doesn't get better in a couple days i'll visit my doctor again to be sure. Exercise actually makes me feel better, and I usually only feel bad after eating and then sitting down for a while afterward.

I wasn't careful about taking enough food with the antibiotics--my fault. I took them with lots of water though.
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Thank You
Thank you for your reply. I'm wondering if your chest discomfort could possibly be hiatal hernia type pain. My whole family experiences this, and it can be quite uncomfortable. It responds well to diet changes, and sleeping on extra pillows. Also an antacid often helps. Lately, i've been taking an acidophilus that does not contain sucrose or milk. I believe all my good bacteria was wiped away by antibiotics. I'm trying to restore it with these capsules. Thanks again for answering. I appreciate it.
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Has your Doctor tested you for H Pylori?
|

replied January 25th, 2012
H Pylori
I was diagnosed with H Pylori a couple of weeks ago. After a week on two lots of strong antibiotics I am still getting really bad stomach pains back ache and the runs. Do you think I still have H Pylori or could it be the pills. Been suffering since last May.
Jayney
|

replied August 4th, 2009
Hi Both

I've also just been on antibiotics, also lactose intolerant and have hiatus hernia (both of which is usually self controlled by diet and meds) but due to ear infection just taking antibiotics and strong painkillers which is upsetting the balance. I plan to have a colonic this week which usually helps to get things back on track.
|

replied March 14th, 2010
stomach pain after antibiotics
Hey folks,

I realize I'm writing this some eight months after the last blog entry but I wanted to share something i've been going through that is similar to what you all have said.

I'm a 32 year old male. My urologist put me on a 14 day antibiotic (Bactrim) for a prostate infection. About a week into taking these, I developed a severe sinus infection, which was a surprise since I was already on an antibiotic. So, I went to my primary physician, and was prescribed another antibiotic (10 day Biaxin XL), which I took concurrent with the Bactrim I was taking from my urologist (what the doctor told me to do).

When I finished the first antibiotic (14 day Bactrim), I followed up with my urologist, and told him of the sinus infection I had, and the Biaxin XL I was prescribed. He said that was fine, and prescribed me another 30 days of Bactrim to be taken concurrently with the Biaxin XL (my prostate symptoms had not yet completely dissipated).

Well, About half way through the Biaxin XL, I began to have severe stomach cramps. I kept on with my antibiotic regimine (not yet connecting my pain with the Biaxin) for a couple of more days. I then began having chest pains and tightness, and my left arm went numb for about an hour. That got my attention. I chewed 320mg. of aspirin, thinking I might have been having a heart attack.

An hour later, the feeling came back in my arm, but the chest pain and tightness remained. The next morning, I called my pharmacist who said that the stomach cramping that I experienced was a common side effect of Biaxin XL, but the chest tightness/pain and my arm going numb was not, and that I needed to get checked out.

I live in a rural area, so I checked myself into our town's small hospital emergency room. They ran an EKG on me, took chest x-rays, a cat scan with contrast (which I had an allergic reaction to), did blood work, but everything came back normal. No heart attack, or heart problems.

I was also tested for H. Pylori, which came back negative. I was then sent an hour away to A large hospital, with a cardiac center. I was checked out there as well, blood work and all. No heart problems detected.

The cardiologist finally sent me home with instructions to return to his office this week for a stress test.

I am home tonight after two days in the hospital, but no real answer to my problems. Whats more, all of the symptoms I had for which I checked myself into the hospital are still present except for numbness in my left arm.

My stomach pain is localized almost directly below my sternum. I also have a lot of rumbling in my stomach.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
Hey all,

It seems I''m not alone in my suffering. I was put on amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection three weeks ago. The pharmacist told me about nausea and diarrhea while on it, but during the whole time on the antibiotic, there was only one day I felt nauseous and I had no diarrhea, I felt fine for the most part.

Fast forward two weeks later the day after my last dosage, and I started getting itchy all over but with no physical signs of an allergic reaction. The next day, I started getting severely nauseous, but no vomiting. Then that same day I started to get what felt like a UTI so I went to the emergency room two days later as the pain became pretty bad, and they checked out my urine. No UTI. Urine came back normal. I told the doctor I was an amoxicillin for two weeks and if that was related to any of my symptoms. She said the nausea and itchiness yes, but the UTI symptoms were a mystery to her. So she had the urine sent out for a bacterial culture and chlamydia just in case and if they didn''t call it was because the test was clean. Waited till Tuesday morning, no call.

It''s been a week since my original symptoms, and while the itchiness is no longer all over my body, I do have pretty bad anal itch now, I still get nauseous, I still have some minor pain in my bladder and kidney area, and now have developed really bad and painful indigestion that I can feel in my chest and behind my ribs.

I''m going to see my family doctor next week, and hopefully she can get to the bottom of this, but I did a little research on my own, and it sounds like I might either have candidiasis or pseudomembranous colitis, but we''ll see.
|

replied May 6th, 2010
Gastric Bypass and Antibiotics
I had Gastric Bypass on Feb 1. About 5 weeks ago was bit by a tick that tested positive for lyme. Last week I was vomiting uncontrollably so I went to the emergency room and have been in the hospital for 6 days. Catscan, no blockage, endonoscopy showed my inside of my small stomach pouch and the opening to my intestines were very swollen, blotchy and irritated. THey think from Antibiotics I was put on to prevent lyme. Augmentum 2 weeks then doxycycline for 1. They made me have nothing by mouth for 4 days, not on liquids the next week, 2 weeks total to let my stomach heal then I have to start the bypass diet all over again, puree to soft to reg.

Ugg, Hope this helps someone.

Now I am home from the hospital 2 days and have sores in my throat. Is this related.
|

replied May 6th, 2010
Gastric Bypass and Antibiotics
I had Gastric Bypass on Feb 1. About 5 weeks ago was bit by a tick that tested positive for lyme. Last week I was vomiting uncontrollably so I went to the emergency room and have been in the hospital for 6 days. Catscan, no blockage, endonoscopy showed my inside of my small stomach pouch and the opening to my intestines were very swollen, blotchy and irritated. THey think from Antibiotics I was put on to prevent lyme. Augmentum 2 weeks then doxycycline for 1. They made me have nothing by mouth for 4 days, not on liquids the next week, 2 weeks total to let my stomach heal then I have to start the bypass diet all over again, puree to soft to reg.

Ugg, Hope this helps someone.

Now I am home from the hospital 2 days and have sores in my throat. Is this related.
|

replied June 18th, 2010
Abdominal Pain - Bixan
Hello,

I have a similar experience.. This week I was put on Bixan for a sinus infection.. After only 5 doses, a familar burning began in my abdominal area,, Digestive system, stomach ect. About 2001, I was treated for H pylori, they gave me an antibiotic, flagyll, tagamet, and pepto bismol, it was to be taken for 14 days, I almost finished treatment, and all hell broke loose.. I ended up chemically sick (perfumes make me sick), with pain from my throat to my rectum, and all the medical people I saw wanted to send me to head doctor...

I now know that the pain that took me over 4 years to heal must have been primarily from the antibiotic.. At the time I tried everything I could think of, to feel better..

One thing that really helped was time, and a liquid protein diet I inadvertently went on,,

So here I am again burning, and in pain.. I hope that the pain will not last to long, it mainly hurts when I sit and lay down. Sure hope that my gut can heal again soon.. 5 doses was all I took..
|

replied August 1st, 2010
I am 8 years out and have had several bouts with the antibiotic causing pouch distress to the point of doubling me over. My doctor normally prescribes a gastric cocktail and collace. The pain vanishes immediately (numbed) and the gastric symptoms are normally gone (using the collace) by the time I finish the gastric cocktail. I hope this helps! I know the misery! However, now I am suffering severe gastritis from being put on Pristiq (DO NOT TAKE IT!). My normal diet has been disrupted and I cannot eat the diet that has kept my weight off for the past 8 years. I am discouraged!
|

replied August 10th, 2010
scared
im suffering from indigestion, gas pains, sometimes my stomach burns. i eat once a day my poo is a weird yellow color i get heartburn once in awhile but its not rom too much stomach acid. its been 5 months since i took the crap im young and i been to the hospital only like 6 times and hey keep telling my system is wiped clean of good bacteria im sure all this time i would of gotten my good bacteria back by now im scared im only 20.
|

replied February 13th, 2011
I too have suffered from taking all antibiotics and all I can tell you is this.... not only was killing any infection of bad bacteria...but i was also killing the good bacteria which are body needs, I went to my doctor after finishing my antibiotic only to be told I had bad gastor gas, which was from my stomach right into my chest...NOT FUN...I was then percribed Nexum it did help some but what really pulled me out of this was doing a NON DAIRY probiotic drink ( meaning cells being put back into your from animal cells NOT Dairy cells. Pulled me right out of it and went back to normal. Well I just caught a bad cold and got broncitics and guess what 4 days into Biaxin XL and I had to stop I was getting that same feeling all over again, so this time round Im just going to do the probiotic drink and see if I can get that under control and I see my doc Monday to let her have listen to my chest.

Hope this helps
|

replied May 14th, 2011
I had a tick bite and was prescribed Doxycycline. Exactly 10 days after (day after the last day I was suppose to be taking pills) I felt weird dull pain in upper left part of a stomach. Next day the pain turned into stomach cramps, the worst kind I ever felt. Sometimes I felt like I'm about to pass out, I couldn't move, I had to lay down. I couldn't sleep at night. Every time I ate, it would get worse. It was like my stomach stopped working completely. My doctor seemed clueless. He suggested I had an ulcer and prescribed me PPI. Anyway. Finally I figured out a cure. As soon as I drank Kefir (Russian yougurt-like drink), the cramps went away for two hours. Then it came back again. So I had to drink a cup every two hours. Then in couple of days it went to three, then to four, and now stomach seems to have normalized. I also was taking Acidophilus pills with it, though pills alone didn't seem to do anything. Once I ate a banana with Kefir, and stomach seemed to agree with it. Anyway, doxycycline lists stomach cramps as a side effects, and advises to stop as soon as these side effects occur, as they are listed under "serious". And quite serious they were, at times it felt like dying.
|

replied September 4th, 2011
stomach cramps, diarreah after prolong antibiotic use
I was on antiobiotic augmentum drip after self admission to hospital for supposedly strep throat, which turn out to be andeovirus throat infection. Tonsils had white spots. high fever which lasted 3 days and eventually ended. was given another 5 days of antibiotics after discharge. It was difficult taking this antibiotic as it lives me lifeless and sleepy all the time. Anyways after stopping the course a few days had some pizza at nearby store and had bad diarrhea the following day, fatigue but recovered up till now with soft stools at the morning with stomach cramps and lower back pains. will continue probiotic drinks and pill to overcome this.
|

replied September 17th, 2011
New member to the Antibiotics Make Me Sick Club
This is my second sinus infection in 3 weeks. I was prescribe an antibiotic to tale for 10 days and I couldn't quite make it. The stomach pains and diarrhea got to be too much. Not to mention the makings of a yeast infectiondue to the loss of good bacteria. Which had me walking through a tropical storm just to get more medicine... But I digress.
My infection went away, but I was left with a slight cough that I figured would go away shortly. It didn't. The cough got worse and all the symptoms of bad allergies/sinus infection came back and hit me like a sledgehammer helping to make this one heck of a week. Finally deciding it was more than allergies- either a sinus infection or a cold- I talked to my friends mom who's a doctor. She called in a prescription for more antibiotics today. This round is supposed to last 14 days. Not excited. I took my first dose this evening. And here I am at 2 in the morning writing this with fellow sufferers because I feel too awful to sleep. My stomach rumbling so loudly I'm sure one could hear it down the hall and the diarrhea already begun. And that's after only one pill. I don't know how I'm going to survive 14 days of this.
I hope the rest of you soon find relief. As well as those after me too.
|

replied December 25th, 2011
heartburn, horrible stomach cramps after antibiotics...
heartburn, horrible stomach cramps after antibiotics...stomach contracted and formed lump just below my sternum....

I took Amoxicillin 125 mg 2x per day and Ciprofloxacin 500 mg 2x per day for 2 weeks after I got an infection post surgery. Near the end of the two weeks I started getting heartburn and then heartburn and horrible stomach cramps, especially in the middle of the night. Dealt with it for about a week.

Here's what seemed to work for me:

- started drinking lots of Kefir. No particular regimen, just drank a lot of it.
- avoided eating after dinner...so no big snacks before bed
- took two Prilosec around 8 pm.

Seemed to work almost immediately as the first night after starting this I was quite comfortable...a slight feeling of stomach pain and heartburn, but maybe 5% of what it was the previous night. 2nd night symptoms gone. It's now been 5 nights and I haven't had any symptoms.

I hope this works for others, and I know how awful this feels. Good luck.
|

replied January 5th, 2012
side effects after antibiotics heartburn, horrible stomach cramp
I was on antibiotics for a urine infection was given Trimethoprim for 2 weeks and then Cefalein 500mg for a further 2 weeks.I developed awful stomach cramps, heartburn, belching and wind whilst on treatment. I returned to the doctors regarding the above symptoms and was given an antispasmoic prescription which was a waste of time. I looked up other followers with the same symptoms as myself on the internet and was advised to take probotic yogurt within 2 days my symptoms was all cleared and I feel a 100%.
|

replied January 13th, 2012
What type of antibiotics are you taking? Have you asked your doctor if the symptoms are only short term? Could it be because you are allergic to this type of antibiotics?

From what I know, some people are allergic to penicillin which can be found in Amoxicillin. An antibiotic used to treat H. Pylori.
|

replied January 14th, 2012
antibiotics
I had a round of antibiotics two years ago for a tooth infection long story short I was really sick to my stomach pain and diarrhea didn't even relate the two until I went to the doctor a month later and she asked me if I had been on an antibiotic turns out I had C. diff. (Clostridium difficile infection) because as you all know antibiotics don't only kill the bad bacteria but the good one in your body as well. I had to take another round of antibiotics to clear it up but I also ended up with hives in between and from time to time I still get them eventually that did clear up all the stomach issues. I was just prescribed antibiotics for a urinary tract infection and am already having all the stomach problems again. I am going to have to try some of the Kefir and see if that works if not another round of antibiotics I think it will be.
|

replied January 16th, 2012
try to drink more water to reduce the chances of infection in your body. with more infections usually means you will have to take more antibiotics which will harm your stomach even more.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply