Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

33 Year Old Female Addicted to Ephedrine. (Page 1)

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Hello,

i have been addicted to epedrine for aprox. 11years. I have to stop, I have a 9 month old beautiful girl and a husband who is sooo! Against my hurting my body that it will ruin my marriage. I don't want to go to one of those group meetings. I am looking for someone elso to share my story, I know that there are many out there. I am scared that I won't be able to function, no matter how hard I try the weight might come back. I do not want to be dealing with this and trying to raise a child.

For the first time ever, I will say that I am a drug addict, I am addicted to ephedrine,

please share your story with me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 15th, 2006
Eleven years is a while to be addicted to anything.

However you're addicted to ephedrine. It's a dangerous stimulant but not half as psychologically addictive as amphetamines (adderall, dexedrine, crystal meth), it doesn't make you half as high as those, and it's not physically addictive.

Just taper your dosage over a period of 2-weeks to a month. There shouldn't be any dangerous withdrawal. Even if you were to suddenly quit, you'll probably just deal with one whole week of sleepiness/lethargy.

Stick to reducing slowly. If you have trouble doing this, try drinking coffee as a substitute.

It should work out. We're not talking painkillers or even alcohol. This is as easy an addiction to quit as any.

And once you're off the ephedrine, you can always try caffeine pills and coffee. Caffeine is another addiction, but it's 1000% safer than ephedrine ever will be.

Hope this helps!
|

replied May 21st, 2006
Me Too
Hi, I left you a private message, I just feel more comfortable that way. Check it out! I hope it helps
|

replied October 15th, 2009
I was addicted to Ephedrine, and I quit.
I was addicted to ephedrine for 12 years. At the height of my problem, I was taking 40 pills a day (25mg) just to get out of bed and function.It helped me breathe and continue to be a smoker (double-whammy bad habits) Then, the price kept going up. 48 pills went from costing 6 bucks to ten bucks. Then, you could only get it in 24 pill- packages for FIFTEEN bucks. Then the price went up to 24 pills for TWENTY bucks. THEN, they started manufacturing pills to only contain 12.5mg each. So buying the 24pack for 20 bucks is the equivalent of buying 12 pills now for the same price. Nothing proves to you that you are an addict better than watching yourself CONTINUALLY cut necessities out of your life to be able to still afford your drugs. I quit because I HAD to. I was scared to, but I did it. Im still trying to get used to being so UNDERSTIMULATED. But i am proud of myself for walking away from ephedrine before it killed me or left me homeless.It was a fork in the road decision. I now have an extra $600-$700 bucks in my pocket every month. I'm not COMNSTANTLY trying to find convenient stores that sell it. Im not CONSTANTLY counting pills to make sure I have "enough". It's like walking out of prison. Im not a slave to it anymore. I needed a week or two of solid sleep to come down off of having speed in my body for 12 years. But my fear of quitting was DEFINITELY bigger than the act itself. DONT BE SCARED TO QUIT. What a self esteem builder it is to throwaway what you have and never look back. Don't be scared to be a stronger smarter version of yourself. You wont go crazy, I promise...but you will need to REST when you do this. No-one ever knew I took that crap. It was my sick secret. I quit with NO support or help. THAT is precious to me. Made me VERY strong. I'll never look back.
|

replied December 6th, 2009
I am too a 33 year old female with an ephadrine addiction.

I quit taking the tablets 4 months ago and while it's easy to cut down the dosage and reduce how much you take until you dont take any more, the emotional effect is far harder.

I have a very damaged idea of how I look without my clothes on. Being thin is important to me. Thats why I took the ephadrine in the first place.

It worked. I lost a lot of weight and I felt great. Sadly the ephadrine made my body weak and I kept getting ill with colds. I was also paranoid, irritable and really forgetful.

And so now as I'm clean from epahdrine for 4 months, I face a far greater challenge which is how to love and accept my body now that I have gained weight back to my normal and natural weight. This is the biggest challenge.

I have a supportive hubsand and I'm having other counselling too, but what I would say to you is, if you plan to come off the ephadrine, you should seek out further support dealing with the issues why you take it in the first place.

Freedom from this drug is incredible and I would encourage you to take that step. I feel great most days and I'm on the road to emotional recovery too. Well done for speaking out about your issue, half your battle is already won!!

Keep us updated with how you're getting on!
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
I'm going to start being a bit more careful with ephedrine! I didn't realize it had such addictive potential.

I've been using eph for about 6 years. I usually buy a box of 60 pills and do them over the course of 2 days, no food no sleep. That's how I am right now.

I never fiend or have a "need" for it, mostly just a desire and I do it about every 10 days.

How long did it take ya'll to develop a full blown habit?
|

replied January 10th, 2010
Ephedrine is very addictive
Ephedrine can get very addictive. I got hooked on it for four years, in conjunction with a serious eating disorder. Yes you do start taking more and more and more to achieve the "high" you like. Yes when you mix it with caffeine and aspiring it becomes a powerful stimulant. I easily got up to taking 40-50 a day. I was so lucky my body survived this onslaught!! Whoever wrote this...coffee does not compare!!! Trust me....I get nothing from coffee or that five hour energy crap!!!
|
Users who thank JasonNC29 for this post: Myles1974 

replied January 11th, 2010
Husband Addicted to Ephedrine
My husband has been addicted to ephedrine for 11 years. He is either sleeping for days at a time or high as a kite. He is an emotional wreck-tremors in his hands, kidney stones from the drug, one minute he is screaming, the next no emotion at all. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. He refuses to admit he has a problem and refuses to get help. He hides his pills everywhere. PLEASE, get help for yourself so that you can be an awesome mom and role model for your child. DO WHATEVER IT TAKES.
|

replied March 1st, 2010
Ephedrine, really?
Wow. I didn't know you could get addicted to ephedrine. Do you think maybe you could be predisposed to addiction and ephedrine is doing it for you?

I've done ephedrine for weight control for 6 years. I use a 20mg pill in the morning with a cup of coffee and a 20mg pill not long after lunch. The first week you can get jitters, but that goes away.

Do you think maybe you are just needing a 'high'? I've never had that need, so I guess that is why I haven't had to increase it ever, or why, when I go off it for a week here and there, I don't really feel like I'm missing it.

Maybe it is deeper than just ephedrine.
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
1 25mcg pill per day - is this significant?
Ok - so I am in shock that anyone can ingest this much ephedrine. I order the red heat and take ONE 25mcg pill in the morning - and I am trying to wean off of it. I am told it stacks in your system, so I am taking it now every second day. If I go more than 3 or 4 days I feel the lethargy building - so I think the stacking in your system is accurate.
Maybe my addiction isn't even to be of concern? 1 pill of 25mcg per day and never more, yet I seem to suffer from insomnia if I take it and do not want to become like Elvis, something to sleep, something to wake up - etc.
Thoughts? Is 1 25 mcg tablet per day significant at all?
K
|

replied September 30th, 2010
-Katrinket-

I woulden't be too worried with a 25mcg dose per day. If you're having trouble weaning yourself off of it however, try taking a three quarter to half of your current dose per day for a few days then lower the dose by the same amount after a few days. Repeat. Plateau the dose schedual for a few extra days if the lethargy is coming on too strong.

I take the stuff off-label for Depression/lethargy (Which i was born with) works better than most things, helps me feel like I can get out of bed and do the dishes. Although, the doseage is nowhere near what many seem to be reporting, (24mcg/day) definately get off it if you're only using it for gettin` high (and/or you feel it's use is going out of your control)
|

replied October 24th, 2010
I'm a 34 year old male and also addicted to ephedrine and caffeine combination for 3 years. This combination gave me the body of my dreams not only thin, but ripped and athletic ( though my biggest motivation on taking it is to control and lose weight) I also felt high and gave me confidence. The downside is I feel shitty and miserable at times, moody and psychotic. It is also a dark secret that no one knows about me. I usually take it like 4am in the morning and start my workout at my home gym. But lately I'm getting tired of taking this stuff, I mean emotionally, after the rush is gone,what follows is a big letdown of emotional rollercoaster. Like some of you here, what scares me is stopping it and then I have to deal with weight issues again.

I took it because I want to look good. Also made me achieve my full potencial in the area of fitness. But this addiction is costing me by screwing up my emotions.

I'm thinking of quitting.
|

replied October 30th, 2010
Please, please PLEASE do quit. This drug has been a nightmare for me. Write me and I will tell you how hellish it really is.

Really, it will wreck you.
|

replied December 3rd, 2011
Ephedrine is VERY addictive. I am 37 and I have been popping those little white pills daily for 8 yrs now. I have also been anorexic for those 8 years + more years on top of that! Currently, I take at least a bottle a day. That equals at least 50 pills/day and each pill is 8mg! Yeah. Not kidding and wish I was! I am surprised I am not dead and right now, I wish I was with a lot of UNexplained weight gain while taking this much and consuming a maximum of 500 cals/day plus exercising. Am I the only idiot that is addicted to ephedrine at this level? I hope not and do at the same time. It's such a sad existence.
|

replied December 6th, 2011
Ephedrine isn't addictive
Ephedrine isn't physically addictive. It's your need to control your weight that's keeping you tied to the drug. When used properly ephedrine can generate amazing results. You're supposed to take it for no longer than 6 weeks and then go off for 2 weeks. The body adapts quickly to the dose, therefore you have to increase your dose frequently and this is why it's very important to abstain for 2 weeks after 6 weeks of use. After the 2 weeks you can continue to take normal doses, and so on, so forth. Taking 50 pills a day is extremely dangerous and I'm surprised those of you who take that much are still alive.

So there you go. Ephedrine itself is not physically addictive. Your problems run much deeper than that.
|

replied February 28th, 2012
Sorry Sunshinez, but as someone sitting here right now with deep muscle pain, exhaustion and nausea, quitting after I don't even know how long, probably 17 years or so, it is very very very physically addictive. Please stop spreading lies.
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
Daveli, I do not appreciate your accusation of me "spreading lies".

So after researching ephedrine addiction, I have found a few articles stating there is evidence some may become physically addicted with long term abuse. So, yes I do apologize to those of you who are suffering because of your long term ephedrine abuse.

But as I said, when used correctly ephedrine can generate amazing results and isn't physically addictive.
But of course if you have an addictive personality or are genetically prone to addiction, with long term abuse you can become addicted to many things that aren't generally considered addictive.

I have been cycling on and off ephedrine for 5 years and even at the peak of my usage I never experienced any form of withdrawal.

So, no lies. Just facts.
|

replied April 4th, 2012
Ephedrine
Hello all, I have found all your stories most helpful. I have just ordered my first bottle of Ephedrine. I do not need it to loose weight as I am a size UK 10-12 and extremely happy with my size (it's not how big you are it's how you dress and hold it), but I have a very hectic lifestyle and just wanted it for the energy boost. I have 3 kids (4 including hubby!!)13 animals, my house-which I am the only one that EVER does anything- and trying to build up my fashion business.

I am sick of drinking coke and energy drinks as I have enough problems with my teeth as it is-English teeth are renound for being rubbish- but I was only looking to maybe do 1 or 1/2 a pill at the weekend so I can get all my housework done in one day. I am a full time housewife.

Would just love some advice on occasional use. Codeine on the other hand I have been addicted to for 7 years and have a history of recreational use of most things in my younger days, not anymore as I am now 40.

Thanks in advance, farewell, Amanda x
|

replied October 5th, 2013
Ephedrine is VERY MUCH PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE! I have been addicted to Ephedrine for 22 years and I am on day 5 of being Ephedrine free. I have been addicted to it for over half of my life. I stopped taking it when I was pregnant twice and tried to quit numerous times but always went back. If I had some in the house I would gave taken sobe today. No more. I have to quit this terrible addiction before it kills me. I was taking up to 1000mg a day! Yes that is correct. In conjunction with caffeine and asprin. I am still alive and thankful for that. Now I have to take it one day at a time. Today is a bed day as I am very dizzy and lightheaded and so tired. Yesterday was better than today so I am going tomorrow will be better. I know it will get better. It ha to.
|

replied October 5th, 2013
Ephedrine is VERY MUCH PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE! I have been addicted to Ephedrine for 22 years and I am on day 5 of being Ephedrine free. I have been addicted to it for over half of my life. I stopped taking it when I was pregnant twice and tried to quit numerous times but always went back. If I had some in the house I would gave taken sobe today. No more. I have to quit this terrible addiction before it kills me. I was taking up to 1000mg a day! Yes that is correct. In conjunction with caffeine and asprin. I am still alive and thankful for that. Now I have to take it one day at a time. Today is a bed day as I am very dizzy and lightheaded and so tired. Yesterday was Bete than today so I am going tomorrow will be better. I know it will get better. It ha to.
|
12 >>