Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

My Expirience With the Pill

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
You always hear about all the awful side effects, the weight gain, the mood swings, the lack of intrest, etc.

But I have been on the pill for 3 months now and so far have not had a single side effect. I have actually lost about 5 pounds, no noticable mood swings other than the normal very slight ones I had right before my period every month anway, and my sex drive is just as intact as it always was.

However I do have one question. When I get to the placebo part of the pill pack, I don't get my period until about day 4 of the placebos. Then I have a fairly light period that lasts until sunday or monday (i start the pack on sunday, and take my pill at 10pm every night, so my period stops over sunday night-monday morning when I take the first real hormone pill on that pack.

Is this normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 1st, 2006
Experienced User
Re: My Expirience With the Pill
landailyn wrote:
you always hear about all the awful side effects, the weight gain, the mood swings, the lack of intrest, etc.

But I have been on the pill for 3 months now and so far have not had a single side effect. I have actually lost about 5 pounds, no noticable mood swings other than the normal very slight ones I had right before my period every month anway, and my sex drive is just as intact as it always was.

However I do have one question. When I get to the placebo part of the pill pack, I don't get my period until about day 4 of the placebos. Then I have a fairly light period that lasts until sunday or monday (i start the pack on sunday, and take my pill at 10pm every night, so my period stops over sunday night-monday morning when I take the first real hormone pill on that pack.

Is this normal?

in my opinion your lack of side effects is not normal (but actually, i'm just jealous!) you're fine on both topics. The lack of side affects just means you do well with the hormones. Some birth control pills work fine for a few months and then all of a sudden once your body adjusts some side affects show up.

As for the period, the placebos contain no hormone, meaning it takes a few days for your body to realize it's time to bleed. It is also one of the wonders of birth control; a lessened period.

Don't worry!
|
Did you find this post helpful?