Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Depression During Pregnancy Forum

Very Depressed, Am I Alone?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
:cry: am I at all normal? Have an appointment in two weeks, should I call and try to get in earlier? Very depressed and my hubs doesn't understand!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 26th, 2006
No your not alone at all. Never think that. Depression in pregnancy is very very common. If u ever need anyone to talk to then im here sometimes it easier to talk to strangers.
|

User Profile
replied July 12th, 2007
Re: Very Depressed, Am I Alone?
JillandNel wrote:
Crying or Very sad am I at all normal? Have an appointment in two weeks, should I call and try to get in earlier? Very depressed and my hubs doesn't understand!

You are not alone, I promise. I cry all the time. I have a great career, a terrific husband, a nice house, and so far my baby looks healthy; yet I still feel so unprepared. Maybe it's the stress that knowing my life is going to change forever. I know it's the hormones, it must be. I personally feel that forums such as this are very helpful with dealing with this depression. To be on here with other women in my state is so reassuring. I have read so many words of wisdom on this forum, and I belong to 5 different pregnancy forums. This one for sure is the best (with the exception of a few ignorant people Smile

Keep in mind, pregnancy is a difficult time for everyone because it's a major life change. Many women stress out about finances, whether or not they will be a good mother, whether or not the father is ready, and so on. Just know that things always work themselves out. And even though change can be scary, it's just another chapter in your life. You will have a baby, the combination of you and your loved hubby, to care for and raise. Once you see your baby, you will be in love immediatly and so will your hubby. All will be well, I promise.
|

replied August 31st, 2008
can first time dads be depressed about pregnancy?
Shocked

i am a first time dad to be, and ever since my wife informmed me that we were expecting, I have been going nuts. I always worry now about family members and there health, and worry that people who are close to us are going to die. is this normal? I doubt it, but I need help on this subject. This is interfering with the happy time that this should be for the both of us. I did lose my mother to cancer, and i don't know if this has anything to do with this, but i think that it does. Am I just nervous about being a father, or is there somethin really wrong with me. I use to stress about thing s a little bit, but this is consuming my life right now. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
|
Users who thank klamnuts for this post: Fairy Godmother 

User Profile
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*Godmother
Its your horomones sweetie, they are playing havoc on you now. You are going to make a wonderful Mom! Instead of concentrating on a sad thought.....try to focus yourself to think of something positive....
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Actually Mike, you will make a wonderful dad! Yes, men can experience hormonal changes when their wife is pregnant. Your worries are prefectly normal....

Think abou it...you are your wife will be bringing a life into the world so it is understandable that you have focused on others regarding their health, life & death, etc.

Actually when we were expecting our first child, my husband gained weight and had odd cravings just like me. The only thing is that he did not give birth.

Congrats!
|
Users who thank zigemyster for this post: klamnuts 

replied September 1st, 2008
depressed
Thanks Zigemyster, it is nice to know that this can happen to men as well, but i haven't seen anything like this on the web. I see a lot of stuff about women with depression, but not muich with men. I am trying to think positive about this, I guess it will just take time, hopefully. I thought that this stuff was supposed to be second nature to us, I guess I was wrong about that. This is really scary though, gotta take one day at a time.

Mike
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2008
Community Volunteer
Sympathy Symptoms
Since I understand your emotions changed due to her pregnancy this might all be related & may go away once your child is born. However if it bothers you a great deal or interferes with your day to day life then I would seek medical attention. You should not have to deal with depression all alone and it is OK to ask for help.

It will come to be second nature. To some it is 2nd nature once conception has taken place others it may not hit until you hold your child. Give it time.

You can send me a PM (private message) if you wish.

When is your child due?
|