Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Weird Chest Pain (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I don't even know where this would go because it's not a normal chest pain which is part of what makes it unsettling. I have been a light to moderate smoker for about 8 years total. I have recently quit for good as i've started to pursue a career in the fire dept and the physical training simply doesn't jive, apart from all the other health reasons for quitting.

About 2 years I started to notice a pain in my chest. I have to emphasize this is a "physical" pain, meaning it has nothing to do with my breathing. It's my ribs. This is what I feel exactly. If I stretch out my arms behind my back I "feel" what seems to be my sternum, crack. It's the same feeling as cracking your knuckles. My ribs just sort of pop at the sternum and the tightness I felt before is relieved. The huge downside is that I have developed a sort of compulsive cracking of the ribs and now i'm always sore as a result. I can't help it, it's like a nervous tic that won't go away.

I have been unable to describe the sensation to my doctor, and as such he is unsure how to proceed. Has anyone ever heard of or felt anything like it? It just feels like my ribs are too big for my chest cavity and I have to crack them to relieve the pressure or something. It's very weird and it's most obvious in the mornings. Some people crack their necks.. I find myself cracking my chest.

I am 28yo male, no medical history of any note. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks !

-nah-
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper STEVEN_STOBAUGH
|

replied June 12th, 2006
Re: Weird Chest Pain
nahualli wrote:
i don't even know where this would go because it's not a normal chest pain which is part of what makes it unsettling. I have been a light to moderate smoker for about 8 years total. I have recently quit for good as i've started to pursue a career in the fire dept and the physical training simply doesn't jive, apart from all the other health reasons for quitting.

About 2 years I started to notice a pain in my chest. I have to emphasize this is a "physical" pain, meaning it has nothing to do with my breathing. It's my ribs. This is what I feel exactly. If I stretch out my arms behind my back I "feel" what seems to be my sternum, crack. It's the same feeling as cracking your knuckles. My ribs just sort of pop at the sternum and the tightness I felt before is relieved. The huge downside is that I have developed a sort of compulsive cracking of the ribs and now i'm always sore as a result. I can't help it, it's like a nervous tic that won't go away.

I have been unable to describe the sensation to my doctor, and as such he is unsure how to proceed. Has anyone ever heard of or felt anything like it? It just feels like my ribs are too big for my chest cavity and I have to crack them to relieve the pressure or something. It's very weird and it's most obvious in the mornings. Some people crack their necks.. I find myself cracking my chest.

I am 28yo male, no medical history of any note. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks !

-nah-

|

replied December 19th, 2008
I feel the exact same thing when I smoke weed only. It happens every single time I smoke weed and went on for two days when I did shrooms. I don't know why it's only related to drugs, but it hurts. I'd describe it as my organs are too big for my rib cage and my sternum is cracking to relieve the pressure. SO WEIRD. I also get faint when this happens, but my breathing's always regular.
|

replied April 7th, 2011
Paranoia
This might be a result from you being stoned and paranoid.
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Chest cracking
how could it be a result from being stoned and paranoid? i think it would be more towards the side of anxiety and stress. for me i used to smoke marijuana a lot and after 3-4 years of continuos use i started developing anxiety and stress issues when I smoked. The middle of my torso would tighten and feel guarded when it first started happening. and then one day I felt this horrible pull in my right chest plate and i blacked out while driving. Now its about a year after that and I have constant chest cracking. At first it starts with feeling like theres a band around your right lung and your breathe deep to try and relieve it and it feels like shortness of breathe and you get light headed and start to panic. Then hopefully, finally it will crack and go away. But now it comes back over and over again and is just a constant crack to relieve the chest pain. I have had constant doctor visits and CT scans with all clear. I also smoked cigarettes which i quit 3 days ago and I am actually feeling better, with not as much cracking. I think its a combination of stress/anxiety/bad circulation/bad posture and inflammation. thats my theory
|

replied January 27th, 2009
Weird Chest pain
I have the exact same problem and I have to crack my chest a few times a day
|

replied April 5th, 2009
I've had the same problem for over a year. It's really uncomfortable when you can't quite get your chest to crack and can't relieve the pressure. I am very tall and slim, and slouch quite a lot when I'm sat down for a long time. I just hope it doesn't last forever as it's quite a weird thing to do all the time! It feels like the more you do it the more it needs doing.

I'm sure it's got something to do with the cartilage in the sternum 'setting' and 're-setting' when you adjust your posture.
|

replied May 25th, 2009
cracking chest
IF U THINK THATS WIERD TRY HAVING TO CRACK YOUR CHEST & NECK AT THE SAME TIME .. IVE HAD IT FOR OVER A YEAR , I HAVE TO TWIST A CERTAIN WAY TO RELIEVE THE PREESURE & ITS NOT A PRETTY SIGHT HAHA! ONCE IT CLICKS THE TENSION AND TIGHTNESS HAS GONE ,, ID JUST PUT IT DOWN TO POSTURE OR GETTING OLDER X
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2009
Man I have the same thing but i haven't figured out how to crack my ribs yet though i need to we need to get someone who actually know something to reply to this thread so we can figure out what the heck is going on haha Smile
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Need to crack my chest ...
I have had the exact same chest pain described above for about 8 years now. It started early in Highschool when I started growing, and I still have it(I am now 24). My main concern is that I used to crack my chest once every few months, and now I seem to be doing it 5-10 times a day. I have tried to leave it alone, but the pressure just seems to build up and I feel I have to crack my chest to releive it.

I feel bad for those people who havn't figured out how to crack it yet, I know how much that sucks. Heres what I do: I take a deep breath and fill my upper chest with air, then arch my back(while standing) and try to push my shoulders as far back as possible, while sticking my chest out foreward as far as possible. Then I give a little down on my lower ribcage with my hands, and CRACK!

Hope it works. I'm also curious to see if thats what other people do, or if all of us "Chest Crackers" have our own styles. Let me know.

By the way, I think we should all say a little about ourselves so we can find a common denominator. I am also sort of tall and fit(someone above mentioned that), but not overly so. I also tend to slouch forward when sitting, especially while typing, and I think that makes it worse. I think the most important trait to mention is that I have a concave chest. You know... it kind of looks like a cereal bowl where the middle of my chest should be flat. I am not a smoker, never have, but I typed in "crack my chest" and found this blog.

Let's get to the bottom of this!
Kevin
|
Users who thank kjr03e for this post: jewely32jk 

replied March 21st, 2012
All i have to do is take a deep breathe, then pop. Do you smoke by any chance? and how is your posture? are your shoulders rolled forward? do you sit at the computer for periods of time? or drive alot? or have stress/anxiety problems?
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2009
People that lift weights or do other certain activities, and those with poor posture (slouching), often have this condition. It's not dangerous, but things are out of alignment and/or are inflamed. The costosternal joints between the ribs and sternum pop just as knuckles do. Gentle full-body stretching (don’t forget the hamstrings), good posture, and even diet will make the sensation lessen or go away completely. A chiropractor or doctor may be necessary in realigning the joints. If the pain increases into your chest, neck or arm, check with the doctor - it could be Tietze Syndrome or Costochondritis.
|

replied April 21st, 2010
CHEST POPPIN
I am not a smoker of any sort nor have i lifted any weights, however i have worked on a farm most of my life and i felt the tension one day and had my buddy push on my chest once it popped i can do it on my own...its so crazy. i am a healthy 21 year old never broken a bone in my body. if you have any aswers on this please write me.
|
Users who thank STEVEN_STOBAUGH for this post: jewely32jk 

replied June 18th, 2010
chest cracking
weird I have a similar problem as mentioned above however if I just press just below my sternum it crack sometimes with slight pressure. The more I do it the more I feel I have to do it sometimes like 20-30 times a day. Help I'm a freak. I to have bad posture as mentioned above I'm a little overweight however pretty active with sports.
|

replied June 20th, 2010
Not a smoker, never smoked in my life. I have to crack my chest probably once a day. Isn't difficult to crack, but sometimes I fail to crack it correctly, I get this pain in my chest for the next few minutes, until I can crack it correctly (the longer I wait, the easier it is to crack it correctly). This pain is rather difficult to describe; it doesn't really feel like pain, but i'm unable to move one side of my body.

As for finding common ground, I do lean forward toward the computer usually, and lately i've had to sleep on a really firm (it's like a freakin piece of wood) mattress. I'm guessing posture / keeping-your-body-well-relaxed has something to do with it. Hmm... i'm also really bad at dancing. Any one else here bad at dancing?
|

replied July 6th, 2010
Pain gone after chest pops
Ive had the same problem now for about 4-5 months. I had established bronchitis, and started to notice this weird feeling in my chest. The feeling is very hard to explain to people. They all think I am crazy, but it feels as if my chest is stuck in a crack that will not fully crack. You know like if you were cracking your knuckles, and it got stuck during the crack, and your fighting so hard to get it to fully crack, and once it does it feels so much better, this is how my chest feels. The feeling is very uncomfortable, and feels the worst in the morning. Some days i can not crack it, and the pain stays the entire time until i can one day crack it. I usually just stick my chest out as far as i can, and pop! The pain is gone, but of course it comes back. I am 5'4, 110 pound female. Im 24 yrs old. I use to smoke for about 10 yrs, however i recently stopped. I have horrible posture, and i also bowl for college, so i am constanly throwing a 15 pound ball down a lane. I just want this pain to go away....its very annoying, and its freaking me out.
---Scared--
|

replied July 23rd, 2010
I too had this problem for over 2 years. Someone above described it perfectly where after you crack it, you feel light headed and get near fainting while releasing the pressure. I decided however, about a year ago, that whatever this was couldn't be good or healthy so I resisted cracking it. I really sucked for the first few months always wanting to crack but not wanting to. As time went on it got easier and I didn't notice the pressure so much and after 6 or so months I didn't even think about it any more. I used to crack probably 5-10 daily. My guess is this is a result of a bigger problem, like bones not properly aligned from bad posture or whatever, but at least I don't have to go through the pain of a failed crack anymore.
|

replied July 25th, 2010
same pain no crackin
I've had the same exact problem for about 2 years now. I'm a 22 year old male and started having the pain after an extremely bad case of bronchitis. I was coughing all the time and coughing really really hard. the pain started a couple weeks after the bronchitis ended and I immediately over reacted and thought it was heart problems (I only have the pain on my left upper chest, nothing on the right side). That was ruled out with all the normal testing. I really just feels like the joints in my ribs are inflamed and it is a constant dull ache. I have flare ups here and there and sometimes it's barely noticeable. I've tried a few rounds of antibiotics; they seemed to help but didn't make it completely go away. It feels like I need to crack my chest, but i try and avoid that and do stretches. The only thing that makes the pain worse instantly is when I smoke weed..cigarettes don't effect it. I play classical guitar 5-6 hours a day while sitting...that prolly doesn't help lol. My pain is also worst in the morning and at night.

Ok here's what I think. I think I have a chronic case of costocondritis. I think I injured my chest from coughing so hard and I haven't taken strong and consistent enough actions to totally get rid of it. About a week ago I quit smoking weed for what will be a long while and I'm starting to take 8-12 200mg ibuprofen daily. I feel better already and I'm gonna keep doing this for at least 3-6 months and hope that will do the trick. Has anyone else found any relief besides cracking your chest? In my opinion I don't think that will help you heal any faster.
|

replied August 14th, 2010
Ive had this for about one year: cracking noises, pain gone after cracking in the morning, feeling like fainting when it hurts too much, and so on... I guess it has something to do with bad posture, I used to play guitar in a very bad posture, it has nothing to do with my lungs, Has anybody Had a doctor's opinion? This is driving me nuts...
|

replied September 1st, 2010
This forum is amazing. I've felt so alone with this problem for years.

Quick Background: I'm a 27-yr old male. I used to be very fit and have had my share of concussions. I work out moderately and found that doing 10 pull-ups or push-ups will "crack" my chest. I was doing this 3x's daily and the relief was instant.

The last month has been difficult without much exercise and also horrible eating habits. I felt pressure in my chest build but never really cared to do my usual routine. I'm back to working out and the pain is 10 fold. More so, I can't really "crack" my chest. I'm fighting through and am hoping that a few days of activity will get me back. I think I will go to a chiropractor in a bit but I really prefer home remedies.
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Try not smoking, reducing stress, axiety, and inflammation. those are the main causes. make sure your BP is good and your drinking lots of fluids. and when I say fluid I mean water
|

replied September 2nd, 2010
i slouch to my left side, have for the past year now, i slouch so much cuz im tall. i sit and lean on my left side even lean to my left when standing. ive noticed my ribs are shaped slightly differently on my left side, its trippy, and my ribs often hurt. i beleive is because of slouching and bad posture but idk!

KB24MVP LAKERS4LIFE
|

replied September 27th, 2010
So many people with the same problem !!
I am 25 M
i developed this problem some 6 months back.The right side of the chest has to be cracked some 5 times a day.Hurts miserably if I don't.Does anyone know the solution for this ?
|

replied October 11th, 2010
weird chest pain
When you press firmly on the sternum the pressure travels along the attached ribs through the transverse processes that join them to the thoracic spine. The ribcage is a fairly rigid structure and the result can be a cracking sensation in the spine, similar to when one cracks their neck to relieve tension.

The more you do it, the looser the joints will become and the more frequent you will 'need' to do it.

In people with poor posture the solution is to perform upper body exercise everyday which will strengthen the muscles that hold the vertebra in place. You should note an improvement within a few weeks if you exercise properly. If you use the computer a lot you are particularly susceptible.

If you've noticed that you lean to one side or are 'uneven' and have been for some time, you can get the extent of your scoliosis checked by a simple chest xray ordered by your family doctor.

Good luck
|

replied August 15th, 2011
Costochondritis.
|