Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Itchy Throat

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I have a itchy throat for almost a week now which causes me to cough a lot and it gets really annoying now because my coughing gets worse too. I thought it was allergies, but the medicine I purchased at the store doesn't seem to help and I do sleep with a fan on. I am not sure if this is allergy or is it the fan that makes it even worse? I would appreciate any help or comments.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 19th, 2006
Hey,
that happened to me once and it just kind of went away on its own. But it sounds like maybe your case is more severe. I am not sure what the effect of the fan is, though I too began sleeping with a fan just last night. So if that brings back any unpleasant coughing, I will let you know. However, i've been using this really great health portal to address a lot of my health concerns. So far, so good. It's called health site guide.On the left of the homepage, there is a drop-down menu on "health concerns." if you scroll down to "ear, nose and throat" you will be taken to a page that has all these websites on that topic, all of which are pre-searched. So it's really not very time consuming at all. Please let me know if this helps.
|

replied June 4th, 2009
ITCHY THROAT CURE!
After trying almost every remedy I could find on the internet, I had given up. It's been 2+ years of this on/off itchy throat that causes me to gag, cough all night & usually end up sleeping in a almost sitting up position. But NO more.

The solution: NETI POT
I didn't even try it for itchy throat, I just tried to clear my sinuses to avoid another sore throat with sinus infection. And what do you know? NO more itchy throat. What a relief. I typically use it once in the morning & once in the evening and I literally now am relieved of all of my allergy symptoms WITHOUT drugs. Yea!
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Itchy Throat
What is NETI POT? -- Rory
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Itchy Throat
What is NETI POT? -- Rory
|

replied June 14th, 2009
I have the same itchy throat problem. I'm trying everying and nothing is helping.
I even went to the doctor and that didn't help.
What is NETI POT? I'll try it but I don't know what it is. I'll look it up now...
|

replied June 26th, 2009
At-Home Remedies
Get plenty of rest and drink a lot of fluids.
Take Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain relief.
Suck on a zinc lozenge. The jury is still out, but some studies show zinc can relieve sore throats and other cold symptoms.
Gargle with warm salt water (1 teaspoon of salt per glass of water).
Suck on throat lozenges or hard candy.
Suck on frozen treats (such as Popsicles).
Use a humidifier.
To help relieve the pain, apply a warm heating pad or compress to your throat. You can also try a warm chamomile poultice: Mix 1 tablespoon dried chamomile flowers into 1 or 2 cups boiling water; steep for five minutes, then strain. Soak a clean cloth or towel in the tea, wring it out, then apply to your throat. Remove the cloth when it becomes cold. Repeat as often as necessary.
A salt plaster may also help provide relief. Mix 2 cups sea salt with 5 to 6 tablespoons lukewarm water. The salt should be damp, but not wet. Place the salt in the center of a dishtowel, then roll the towel along the longer side. Wrap the towel around your neck; cover it with another dry towel. Leave on for as long as you wish.
Try steam inhalations to ease the pain. Run very hot water in a sink. With a towel draped over your head to trap the steam, lean over the sink while the hot water is running. Breathe deeply through your mouth and nose for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat several times a day. Always be careful not to burn yourself with the hot water or steam.
|