Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Swooshing Sound In My Ear (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Well it all started 4 weeks ago when I was at work I started getting a "swooshing sound" behind my right ear ... I went to our family doctor who said it was fluid behind my ear well..........5 trips to the doctor, 2 prescriptions of amoxicillin later ......... Doesnt seem to go away and actually has gotten worse...I have since seen an ent twice and he has done every test known to man and swears its caused by my tmj (temporo-mandibular joint ) I do not believe it has anything to do with my jaw as my jaw does not hurt and I have had tmj for many years and have never felt this in my ear. I have taken sudafed, ear drops, amoxicillin , nasonex and nothing seems to work!! I am having a cat scan next week and going to the dentist ......... I need to get this figured out for sanity purposes it drives me crazy!!Plus we are going on a very expensive trip in may and I am afraid to fly with this ear pain!! When I explain it to the doctors its almost like they dont believe me !! I feels like swooshing or heavy wind blowing in my ear thats the best I can explain it ... It comes and goes and comes on when I yawn or burp ..... I just want answers!! I mean this is why we pay so much for our Dr. Visits ...... Do they even know what they are doing??? Is anyone else out there with these syptoms?? Or am I fighting this battle alone??????? Please any insight would be helpful!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper arjbautista
|

replied April 24th, 2006
Noises In Ear
I too have this, I have had it since january, I have all sorts of noises, the swooshing is what I get when im lying in bed. I go to ent tomorrow, also I have earpain sometimes, its ruining my life.
|

replied June 19th, 2011
I get it to from stress, but now I remember blasting that side of my head with trance and goa, from my speakers.have you been around loud noise?.
|

replied November 14th, 2012
I am 13, I had an ear problem that I got fixed yesterday, however, I found this post. I have had the same thing in my left ear pretty much my whole life. I never really thought much of it. Sometimes it sounds like marching, and when I was little I told everybody that there were ants in my ears! XD. Anyway, I just learned to live with it but if there is a cheap solution that you find, I would love to know it.
|

replied April 24th, 2006
Swooshing
It great to know I am not in it alone ! We need to stick together and find answers......... Let me know what the ent says and I will keep you posted on my cat scan then we can compare notes!! Thanks for replying!!
|

replied February 18th, 2012
I have just experienced exactly what you are talking about yesterday for the first time ever. It has not stopped since , I've been thinking of what may have caused or and just remembered yesterday afternoon my Boyfriend and I got into a fight and he put me in a headlock and squeezed my head aggressively . I don't know if this is why but I get it when I chew food or certain ways I move my jaw I do believe it gas something to do with my jaw however o have no pain only this annoying sound. I do not want seek medical attention, I just want to figure out the reason for this. It almost seems as if it could be something to do with combustion like in my head I don't know. Any incites would be great.
|

replied April 28th, 2006
Hi, I went for my appt, on tuesday, I had ahearing test and a tympagraph test, they put something in your ear and it gives out a loud buzzing noise, I think they were testing my ear drums. I have another appt in 4 wks, the doc said that he wants to do an mri, and he gave me a nasal spray incase it's sinus trouble. He also said it could be tmj, they will investigate that in the future, they were quite helpful, I was there for 3 hrs. Let me know how you are doing, thanks, dawn.
|

replied July 23rd, 2006
I have this too! Mostly its only at night or if I bend over, etc. In my right ear when I turn around I can hair a whooshing sound or something that sounds like sand or air in my ear. I'm sure it's water, tho. I've had this for a long time, but it has seemed to be getting worse lately.
|

replied June 21st, 2011
I also have this exact problem, it just started last week and I have never had ear problems. It's my right ear and it don't matter what I'm doing the noise is there even as I sit at the computer I can hear it, I try shaking my head to get rid of it cause it sounds like water in my ear, like after a swim...there is no pain, but it is affecting my hearing quite badly.
|

replied April 27th, 2012
ear problems sound like wind
i have same problem...sonud strange like wind like sand etc..nd hearing slightly less...more than 8 years i am fighting with this bizzare problem...very much sad Sad
|

replied December 11th, 2008
same here
I recently got this swooshing sound in my right ear, since august, my doctor has put me on amoxicilin and nasal spray's. Still having the same problem. I had a carotid atery ultrasound done and everything was normal. I wonder could it be due to allergy and sinus problems. My doctor has also had me come in for blood work and I'm still waitng on answers. In the meantime I am taking allegra daily and my first day on the medicine it went away returning only days later. someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied December 21st, 2008
I had this about 2 years ago and never found out what it was. I was aware of it the most when I lay my head down on the pillow for bed. I felt sure it was fluid, but I went to the ENT and he couldn't find any cause. Not related to blood pressure either. It finally went away on it's own after a few months. I feel pretty confident it was allergy/sinus related since I was in a new city and had trouble with "cedar fever." Haven't had it since, but I moved to a different state one year ago.
|

replied January 13th, 2009
I've had the same swooshing sound for about a year and I have not had a problem with it in months but it just started tonight. So I did some research tonight and stumbled on Tinnitus on wikipedia and read this "Tinnitus is also a side-effect of some oral medications, such as aspirin, the only thing I did different tonight is take a aspirin instead of Motrin or Tylenol. So maybe I can't take aspirin anymore after years of taking it, I will see if I still have the sound tomorrow night. Hope this help you guys out.
|

replied January 13th, 2009
I've had the same swooshing sound for about a year and I have not had a problem with it in months but it just started tonight. So I did some research tonight and stumbled on Tinnitus on wikipedia and read this "Tinnitus is also a side-effect of some oral medications, such as aspirin, the only thing I did different tonight is take a aspirin instead of Motrin or Tylenol. So maybe I can't take aspirin anymore after years of taking it, I will see if I still have the sound tomorrow night. Hope this help you guys out.
|

replied May 25th, 2009
ear sounds
I have a similar sound, and when I shake my head from side to side, quickly, there is a wooshing sound in my left ear. Gotten worse recently, though I've had tinnitus for years.
Visited ENT doctor. Most dissapointing.. no diagnose. Seems to me this is an area that
is very difficult to pin down. Now I'm trying a change in diet, and cutting down on salt.
Don't want to give up drinking red wine, but some blogs. mention this as a possible cause, but I don't believe that.
If anyone, ever, gets a successful treatment-please tell us all.
|

replied May 31st, 2009
Swooshing sound
I have the same thing, its a swooshing or pressure type sound. I have seen my doctor,the ENT, dentist, chiropractor...NOTHING. It actually is has started to give me light headed feelings. Not spinning but if I laugh too hard or cough a lot it feels like I am going to pass out. I was in the ER last week because it got so bad, and had an EKG and MRI......NOTHING! completely unexplainable. Also, I am completely exausted after it happens. Its worse when I am tired. THIS SUCKS! The only thing is I have 2 severe buldging disks in my neck which may be reducing blood flow if I have been in a certain position. Does anyone else have neck issue as well??
|

replied April 1st, 2011
cervical issues
Yes...I have several bulging cervical discs and this ear thing, too. It started in late December, right after a physical therapy appointment that aggravated both my c-spine and lumbar. I have had a new array of symptoms since that session, including the ear thing. I think C2 got messed up worse. Sometimes it sort of feels like a spasm inside my ear, like behind the entrance to the ear canal, and I get a tingly parasthesia running up the right side of my head from the ear cannal entrance toward the top of my head. Very annoying.
|

replied October 7th, 2011
Swooshing Sound
I had multi-level fusion done in 2008. C-5 C-6 and C-7. The swooshing sound started 2 days ago, but only if I use a Q-Tip. I have had several sinus infections and really bad allergies this year. The 1st time I heard the swoosh it scared the crap out of me. I haven't gone to the doctor yet. I guess I will and I'll let you know what happens. Oh, also I had a severe orbit injury in 96. I have 2 plates. 1 below my left eye and 1 on the top. If I didn't say, it's my left ear.
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
Ear sounds, ringing, swooshing and cervical disc degeneration.
I have the same symptoms and I do have two discs in my neck at cervical 4 and 5 that are crumbling from arthritis. Last summer I had a week of dizziness and thought it was from my neck. A few weeks later my left ear had almost no hearing. I thought it was my hearing aides but it was the ear. One year later the degenerative discs are giving me non stop pain and I have the same noise in my ears and my left ear has flat lined. No hearing. My ent doc said the discs and the ears have a connection but they don't know what! I think my next move is to Mayo clinic!
|

replied January 17th, 2013
whooshing in head and/or ears
Hi
Ive just read all the threads on this post and what you describe is the exact thing I am experiencing...right down to the tired feeling after it happens
The best way I can describe my symptoms to everyone out there is this
Try and have a yawn...(it's not that hard) however, when you go to yawn dont open your mouth...yawn with your mouth closed....the whooshing sound you hear and the feeling you feel is exactly how I feel all the time....an answer would be great
|

replied June 3rd, 2009
What is Tinnitus?
According to Wikipedia, Tinnitus is the perception of sound within the human ear in the absence of corresponding external sound. They are best described as a “whooshing sound”, “beeping sound”, “crickets”, and many others. Generally, they are NOISES. Some claim that they are not as distracting, and the unlucky others claim otherwise. Tinnitus could just be a result of the underlying sickness one could have, they could be intermittent or the worse, they could be ceaseless.
What are the causes of Tinnitus?
Tinnitus could just be a symptom from a number of underlying variables like ear infection, wax in the ear, ear damage due to loud noises, aspirins, lead or mercury poisoning, middle ear effusion, and more..
Can Tinnitus be cured?
Of course they can be! There are many ways to cure your Tinnitus, one could have their earwax plug cleaned, could avoid caffeine, alcohol, etc. and they could even undergo a surgery. But do you know that there is a simple, easy and cheap way to stop your tinnitus for good?
There is no harm in trying. Get rid of Tinnitus fast.
|

replied March 11th, 2012
And what is the simple easy way to get rid of tinnitus?
|

replied June 6th, 2012
I have found that Ginkgo Biloba and magnesium help alot with my tinnitus. A "B" complex vitamin is also supposed to help with hearing problems not much help for me but "different strokes". Hope this helps!
|

replied June 4th, 2009
SWOOSHING IN MY RIGHT EAR OFF AND ON
Ok, now i'm really freaking out! I've already had a painful experience with having Crohn's disease for 20 years and finally blessed with a cure. And now the swooshing in the ear and no one seems to know how to fix it! I've had the noise for almost a year and I'm online trying to find answers but no results. Is there anyone out there who has found a cure?
|

replied February 25th, 2012
you found a cure for crohn's? i would like to know your secret please.
|

replied May 30th, 2012
Yeah me too.. Crohn's can be controlled but not cured
|

replied June 5th, 2009
Wow, just stumbled across this website and though I am scared and crying it does help to know I am not alone. This has been going on for 4 months now. I feel like I am going to go crazy. The swooshing goes from one ear to another really fast when I turn my head or bend over. I have been to 4 doctors (4 different antibiotics) and an audiogist. Still no answer. I have an appt. with a ENT next week. From the sounds of your experiences though I am not hopefull. I am having other systoms also. The 4th doctor told me it was all anxiety. They like to blame everything on that. I take medication for anxiety but have never had this before. I know this is NOT anxiety. It may be causing the anxiety. I am so frusterated with doctors right now. Please anyone write back so I know I was "heard". I feel like no one hears me.
|

replied November 27th, 2011
hey,i had the same feeling one year before, it started when i was lying on my bed in the night, i was scared, it was like some fluid is there in my right ear, i askesd my mom to see inside my ear, nothing was there, then she asked to sleep by the left side, and it felt like the fluid is going from my right ear to the left one, it was hard to bear at first but within ten minutes all the sound was gone and i slept. Still now sometimes it happens and i follow the same thing and its like a temporary remedy for this....try this out once.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
Swooshing sounds
my problem started after taking anti depressants. of course never get a correct response from the nut doctors that prescribe stuff. it is about to drive me over the edge. I found it very difficult to describe best I could come up with is lightly scratching your forehead nearest your hair a line with the backs of your fingernails. try that let me know if that's the sound you hear
|

replied March 11th, 2012
I'm experiencing the same whooshing sound in my left ear. I also get a pain in my ear from time to time. I had Labrynthitis last august and my symptoms have returned again after getting a bad sore throat last month. I don't know if this is related, but ever since I could remember (since my late teens maybe) if I sleep on my back and I turn my head a certain way, I would wake up with a bad ear ache. Has anyone else experienced this before?
|

replied May 17th, 2012
wo i never knew so many people had this same problem i ve had it since i was 18 im now 27 in it just keeps getting worse its effecting my hearing pretty bad i cant hear loud noises in im constaly asking pepople to repeat there self i will tell u this its not anxiety mine started wehn i had a bug removed from my ear and they cut it with the tools they were using they never did tell me why it was bleeding but my hearing hasnt been right since then .in the swooshing just keeps getting worser
|

replied July 11th, 2009
Swooshing sound in the ears
Okay, I know how all of you feel. About 2 weeks ago I woke up with a really stiff neck that lasted several days. It did get better every day but was not completely gone. My husband's daughter and her family were here over the 4th of July. Her husband made coffee for everyone on the 6th but he made it way too strong. I drank about 3 cups and I got really light headed and dizzy and started hearing the swooshing sound in my ears. So I took my blood pressure and it was fine so I figured it was because of too much caffeine. It has been almost a week and I still have the swooshing sound. It seems worse at the end of the day when I am tired and is very annoying. Going to the doctor on Monday. Will keep you posted.
Peetie
|

replied July 25th, 2009
Whooshing in ears
I think this was a side effect of my brain surgery I had eight years ago. It never really happened when I laid down though. Recently in the past year it happens mostly when I lie down or get up. I really notice it when It's quiet and I'm lying in bed. I'm thinking maybe this is caused by getting up and down too fast....

It was really starting to freak me out so it is very relieving to know other people have the same sensation.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
I went to my doctor and he definitely said it is Pulsatile tinnitus. I had an MRI and an MRA with and without contrast and there is nothing wrong with the blood vessels in my head or with my ears. That is the only test that I have had done so far because we left to go on vacation after the MRI/MRA results came back okay. I am going to have an ultrasound done on my neck to check all of the arteries. Another comment got me wondering..........I have been having neck problems. My neck had been hurting for a few days before the swooshing sound started and although there are better days than others, it is not completely better. My neurosurgeon said that it could be the cause of the bruit (swooshing sound).
|

replied July 27th, 2009
Swooshing Sound
Now that I think of, after I had my neck massaged the swooshing sound went away for awhile.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
swooshing sound.
my ear does the same thing! for months, my left ear sounds like it's swooshing and it's pretty much constant unless I get it tipped just right to the other side. It seems like water and I just went in the ocean a few weeks ago and it seemed to get worse after that. But I've tried ear drops that are supposed to dry up the water and it hasn't helped. I need this to stop. I can't concentrate in my senior year of high school with this noise.
|

replied November 18th, 2011
swooshing ear
mine is the same getting me down big time started when i flew end of sept and my ears went funny. Been thinking i had brain cancer lol but lots seem to suffer from it so thats made me feel better.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
right ear noise
OK,
I hear a very loud swooshing sound in my right ear when I lay under the water in the tub. It is very fast 1,2,3,4,5 as fast as I can count. It drives me crazy, I have tight muscles in my neck, shoulder area and have headaches. So I usually try to lay with my neck under water but this noise in my right ear is driving me crazy and I get all stressed out and cannot relax. Which is why I take the baths...
|