Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Can Xananx Be Used As a Tool For Getting Over Anxiety?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I have had anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, for 5 years. I have xanax to take if I have a panic attack. I had tried other medicines, but they haven't worked well for me and given me bad side effects. Xanax usually works but I don't take it often because I know people who are addicted and that one builds tolerance and it only relieves syptoms and can leave you worse off if you stop.
Can it be used to help train you to not have anxiety? I have had increased anxiety lately and get extrememly nervous going almost anywhere. Going through with it doesn't seem to help because I end up getting nervous everytime and I anticipate getting nervous and feeling awful.
Would it help me to be alright going places if I took xanax right before going someplace that I usually get nervous? That way i'd have the eperience of going and having anxiety. Perhaps that would help break the association of anxiety and the place or situation. Does anyone think that would help me break the anxiety that seems to be conditioned?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Xanax is what helped me to get over my anxiety. I had anxiety on a very high level. I started taking xanax after 6 months or so of thinking that I was never going to get better. I took xanax 0.25mg up to 3 times a day at one stage. I used the time that I was on it to learn all about anxiety and ways to over come it. This took me around 3 - 4 months. Then when I new that I had excepted that there is nothin physically wrong with me I started slowly going off the xanax. I went from 3 a a day to 2 a day for a few weeks and then 1 a day for a few weeks and then one when I thought I needed one - this could be daily of weekly. I had no withdrawal problems at all. I now go months with out taking them. But when I feel the nausia, dizziness etc coming on I take one. Sometimes I try not to take one, but why, they are there to help me and 20 minutes after I take one I am back to normal.
A few weeks ago I woke up feeling a little off and as the morning went on I felt very nausious, feeling disassociated and lightheaded (the lightheaded dizziness is what I hate most) so about 12 I took one. Within 30 minutes it had all disappeared and I was out playing with my daughter on her bike etc! So if it help you - yes use them.
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2006
Supporter
Xanax
Xanax is highly addictive !!!! Use caution....Try paxil! Its used for anxiety with dealing with crowds.... Also celexa is good for that!
|

replied April 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Like I said in my previous post - I was on .25mg 3 times a day for 3 - 4 months and had no problem coming off of xanax. I know many others that are on it or have been on it and they also have no problem coming off of it.
Xanax is my first choice when you want a fast acting drug to relieve anxiety!
|

replied April 24th, 2006
I am on .5mg of xanax to take as needed. I admit I have a pretty high tolerance and it sucks because my doctor wont raise the mg for me yet. But I do have to say that if I kno that I am going to be in a situation where I can possibly have an attack or feel anxious, I take xanax before I am in the situation. That way by the time the xanax actually kicks in im calm and can deal with the anxiety better. I also suffer from migraines and when I feel the symptoms of a migraine come on, like tunnel vision, dotted vision, etc. I take xanax and the migraine does not always see its way thru. In my opinion xanax is like my lil miracle drug. :)
|

replied April 24th, 2006
Experienced User
I Know That It Can Be Addictive
My mother-in-law is majorly addicted and she manages to bully the doctor into continuing to prescribe it for her. I don't want to end up like that.
I have had bad luck with ssris. I have not tried celexa, but given the side effects of those that I have tried I don't feel like messing around with that right now especially since I am recovering from an eating disorder and can't be taking anything that messes with my appetite or gives me digestive problems and I won't be able to go to work if my anxiety suddenly gets worse like it did when I tried zoloft.
I know xanax works for me for dealing with symptoms. I don't want to take it frequently for an extended amount of time because of addiction concerns. I guess the main thing that I wanted to know is if it can be used strategically to actually learn to get better.
|

replied April 24th, 2006
Experienced User
Yeah im using rivortil and ive tried ssir and thought I was gonna die
i saw a psychiatrist and he told me anti depressant werent the way to go because all they do is mask the symtpoms thats good but yuo never larn how to deal wiht it and there is a way to deal with it called cognetive therapy im doing normal therapy but he told me to switch.
|