Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Torn Chest Muscle

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
I have a strained or torn pectoral muscle. It affects nearly everything upperbody--weights wise--and ive been just taking it easy for about a week now, only running and lower body. Anyone ever torn or strained this muscle before? Any tips on healing? Also, everytime I sneeze it seems to re-pull the muscle, realllly painful. Thanks
nick
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
It time that you seek a doctors approval on this. Continuous work on this could further damage your chest, and prevent recovery. I would stop all upper body workouts, until you get a "green light" from your doctor.

Remember, you're not only doing this to be fit, but also in good health.
|

replied April 22nd, 2006
Thanks, yeah im getting close to that point...And I have stopped doing upper body stuff. Thanks for the reply
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
GO to the doctor and have them examine how serious this injury of yours is. You may be saying your chest is "torn", but that may not be the proper medical explanation, nor is our perception of torn necessarily the same as the way you mean it.

I assume you mean it in the sense of an actual sprain. If so, a week means absolutely nothing in terms of healing. Even broken bones heal quicker than spraining muscles/tendons, and that requires at least a few weeks to a few months You need months minimum to expect a sprain recovery, and I don't mean 1 month. Two or more, sometimes up to 6 months (or even more) might be needed depending on the degree of the injury. The reason for this is that many tendons get very poor blood flow and thus lack the nutrition and oxygen which are both instrumental for healing. Know that sprains are different in that it will never fully repair back to 100%, and if you continue to injure it by working out, etc, before it repairs, will only cause far more issues down the line.

An example of how sprains never heal 100%, for those of you who sprained an ankle, even slightly, you may notice that you have been more viable to get it sprained again time and time again in the future.
|

replied March 4th, 2009
help!!!!!
my dad has torn a muscle under his rib cage but he has got excruciating pain when he takes a deep breath in can u say why and what can do!!!
|

replied April 16th, 2009
torn chest muscle
Two weeks ago i had torn my muscle on my right chest area, I have pain and the rest of the arm and the wrist on the same side. I try last night to bench press and I has not able. I try without any weights on the bar, and no luck, i try a different exercise, pulls down and i was fine, i was able to pull without a problem. I when to the doctor today and they had told me that i might need surgury. What should I do? Does anyone has any recomendation other than surgury. I am addicted to the gym. please send me an email with your recomandations. thank you for taking the time. this is a scary time in my life.. thank you once again jose
|

replied May 4th, 2009
Torn Pec
Relax go to your doctor.Do Not work your upper body.It's gonna take some time. 2-3months of rest. Plus 2-3 months of therapy.Look on the bright side,atleast you have use of everything else. All things shall pass.Give yourself a year to get back to normal.In the meantime get get to know yourself better-without the ego.
|

replied June 14th, 2010
hi peeps,

i ruptured/torn my tendon that joins the chest and shoulder. it was very painful with popping and shooting pain to start with. I havent done any upper body for about 3months and ive been going physio every 2weeks! im slowly building up my flat bench and incline but very slowly!

all i can say to anyone that has done this or has done something similiar is take it easy dont rush back into all your upper body weights! and steer clear of chest flies, this only aggrevates the tendon!
|

replied March 13th, 2012
Torn Cest Muscle
I've also torn my chest muscle from playing squash. It's been 6 months and now I'm going to the doctors. I wasn't sure what it was at first, it feels lke red hot poker in my right pec, literally can not move for 20 mins, feels like a heart atrack. I would imagine I'm going to be told to quit squash for another 6 months? ...Any thoughts on what can speed up the healing process?
|
Quick Reply