Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Blood Tests

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I know you need a specific blood test t check for aids .But I do have a question...If I do a regular blood test cbc and all rthat to chekc for the organs and blood counts and everything can my would my dr be able to indicate traces and say ehy listen there are things pointing to the fatc that maybe you should take a aids test?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Hiv
Firstly, we need to clear something up.

Aids is not a virus. You do not become infected with aids. You become infected with hiv, which causes the syndrome of aids after some years. Aids is the condition which a person develops when hiv has caused their immune system to go below a certain level.

Ok, so, to answer your question, only a specific hiv test, such as elisa can confirm hiv status. A normal blood test does not.
|

replied April 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Actualy my question was can certain sign be present in a normal blood test not if they can detect hiv but if certain would point for the dr to say hey I think you should take a hiv test that was the question
|

replied April 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Only if you give your Dr. Your sexual history to alert him to it. But not anything off the tests you've taken will.
|

replied April 25th, 2006
Experienced User
Normal Blood Tests Cannot Reveal the Truth
Normal blood tests cannot reveal the presence of hiv in the blood, as they do not check for the antibodies in the blood.

However, a low immunity of the body could reflect in the blood tests in some other forms, which could be wrogly diagonised by doctors unless they know the persons history
|

replied December 15th, 2011
How long does HIV symtom take to appear
How long do we need to wait to go for check up after haveing unprotected sex with some one that we are not sure of it whether he or she is infected?

Thanks
|