Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Abnormal Hida With Absence of Gallstones....

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I am a 33 year old woman with right upper quadrant pain and middle upper abdomen pressure and persistent nausea. This has been occurring over the last 18 months with the worst being the last 2 weeks. My pcp suspected a gallbladder problem and sent me for a hida scan which showed an abnormal ejection fraction of 18% and possible stricture of the common bile duct. My ultrasound was negative for gallstones. Now I am seeing a gastro, who finally after 6 months is suspicious of gallbladder disease or stones in my common bile duct. My upper endoscopy and colonoscopy were normal. My bloodwork has revealed crohn's disease, which has been confirmed with more bloodwork. I am seeing a surgeon tomorrow and am scheduled to have an endoscopic ultrasound next week. I feel like I have suffered with this too long and am hoping the surgeon will recommend removal of my gallbladder. Has anyone out there had similar symptoms?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 28th, 2006
Abnormal Hida, No Stones
It is not all that uncommon to have an abnormal ejection fraction and no stones. It is chronic acalculus cholecystitis. Crohn's disease further complicates the diagnosis. If a narcotic pain medicine (for example, morphine) was given within 8 hours of the ejection fraction study, the result may be falsely low.
|
Did you find this post helpful?