Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Can't Stop Digging My Nails Into My Head

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
I know this sounds pretty gross, but i'm wondering if I have some mental disorder or something. Though i've never heard of it and I can't find anything through google on it.

So, my problem is that i'm 21 years old right now, and ever since I was 13 I haven't been able to stop digging my nails into my head. Like I won't even notice a lot of the time, and my head's not at all itchy, but I just constantly keep scratching my head and digging my nails in so hard that I get bloody spots on my head. One time I even got a bald spot at the back because of it, and all I could do was change areas and it eventually grew back. I can't count how many times i've tried to stop, and a few times i've even managed to stop for a couple months, but I always relapse. Even if I say right now "i'm not doing it", within a second my hand goes back to it by itself. Does anybody know what's wrong with me?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper liezab
|

replied April 21st, 2006
Ocd
Hi umm im not a docter or anyhing im 15 actually lol but it sounds to me like you have obsessive compulsive disorder ...I think that would be a compullsion ...Do you do anything else like count in your head when you walk or are you really tidy or do you wash your hands alot ...Thats all I can help you with sry I couldnt help you more
|

replied April 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Ocd
gabe101 wrote:
hi umm im not a docter or anyhing im 15 actually lol but it sounds to me like you have obsessive compulsive disorder ...I think that would be a compullsion ...Do you do anything else like count in your head when you walk or are you really tidy or do you wash your hands alot ...Thats all I can help you with sry I couldnt help you more

i didn't know that could be ocd, but it sounds possible. Ever since I was a kid I had this habbit where I kept counting the same expanding pattern in my head. I got past that a couple years ago though, when I started smoking pot actually lol. Anyway, if you see the pattern:

1 2, 2 1
2 1, 1 2
2 1, 1 2
1 2, 2 1

over and over and over....

That and for many years if a door was even slightly open in the room I was in it bugged me so much I couldn't be in there if it had to stay open for some reason. Plus it really bothered me to have the t.V. Volume on an uneven number, and when I was stressed i'd find different things to count to 5 with. I've always suspected I have ocd because of that, but I didn't think the nail digging thing qualified as that particular disorder.... Interesting.
|

replied April 23rd, 2006
Ya
Ya ..Again im deffinitly no expert lol but that is ocd I have it kind of aswell I think everyone does a little like I count in my head when im walking ...But yours is worse ill explain ....... Ok well having to have the volume at a certain number is an obsession or if having the door open bugs you that is an obsession after you obsess about something your brain needs to do something to get your mind off of it which brings you to your compulsion digging your nails into your head ...Hence ... Obsessive ...Compulsive disorder .... I would go get medication before it gets worse because ive seen in different cases that people obsess about comitting scuicide and then actually do it ...Like instead of having to dig your nails into your head you might half to take a razorblade to your wrists...Do you know what im saying ...Its simply an imbalance in your brain that can easily be balanced by medication ...And if you dont like medication ( like me ) get a phyciatrist and use phycotherapy ... I reccamend phycotherapy because I find medication is un-natural and I think medication messes people up more lol well feel free to post another reply if you need help with anything ok ... I hope I could help .......

Peace out
|

replied May 16th, 2006
Re: Can't Stop Digging My Nails Into My Head
So, my problem is that i'm 21 years old right now, and ever since I was 13 I haven't been able to stop digging my nails into my head. Like I won't even notice a lot of the time, and my head's not at all itchy, but I just constantly keep scratching my head and digging my nails in so hard that I get bloody spots on my head.

Ok....Ocd may explain it...But so would staph infection....
First opened wound you pick oozing........Get cultured asap.
Then you won't waste alot of money on otherwise necessary counseling.
Ocd is maddening...But so is staph that you think you imagine up past your own mind to act out in body. I'd check medical arenas first.

I have some ocd number things, but
I began breaking it up on purpose years ago.
It works.
"you have to's"..Can be .."uh...No...I don'ts"

like a 7 counting impulse can be forcedinto 5+2....Just for the sake of 'breaking pattern by will....But not because it is different than 7....For we must do 7...And we know it.
Oh how hard it was at first. Don't eliminate total compulsion...Just total control of cumpulsion!

Start now like this.....
Change the injurieous compulsions...My son named, ....... Them a 'negative compulsion'..

..We almost addict to the hurt to which we've grown so accustom, that we require it to feel good. He ate his thumb....Sometimes bloody.
That is why one must back it up themself.
(or even with help....Its the same thing...You do it!)

just to get back to ..."up being up"....Give yourself to first a detour compulsion less damaging
...Then keep changing it up by choices you are empowered to make.
That's the beauty of ruling your kingdom...(body).....
You can give you permission to do whatever you want to do!

In neg-compulsions, however, ...It will be the power to do first what you 'do not want to do'....In order to get what you want!

We do much better with it now....His thumbs are fine...Not chewed.

Life hurts bad enough....You don't have to dig or see blood for it to be real.
Pain is real.
Harm not thyself.
|

replied March 16th, 2013
I do the exact same thing. My head is all messed up right now. It is all bloody and caved in and I have actualy stopped for a week then started it again. This morning, I pulled a chunk out of my head and I got a paper towel and blood covered the towel. Can anyone help me?
|
Quick Reply