Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

"pumping/pulsating Headaches" ?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hey all,

i've had headaches on a regular basis at since I was quite young. I've dealt with them through medication, sleep, baths, tea, ice packs, usually something always worked.

Lately, i've started getting intense head aches in the area right around my left temple. They usually last 1-3 hours, and medication has no effect on them (i usually take acetaminophen or ibuprofen), sometimes the other things do, sometimes not. What I find strange is that if I put my fingers directly over where the pain is I can feel a very strong and distinct "pumping" or pulsating sensation directly beneith my fingertips, almost as if it where my pulse. I've also noticed that the pain of the head ache is usually directly related to the speed of the pulsating. Is this normal? Has anyone else had experiences like this? What is that pulsating feeling, and what can I do to help them?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bublyflower
|

replied May 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Hi

i have sever headaches most of the time. To the point where its a daily thing. My temples hurt and the veins start bulging. And start throbbing hard. I have taken medicine for this before and it did help but not that much. But my temples really hurt and then when the veins start showing it really hurts this is on both sides of my head. Is this anything like your type of headache?
|

replied May 22nd, 2006
Hey
Not sure, I think I figured out two things tho.

The headaches started coming when I started was chewing gum on a regular basis. When I stopped chewing gum so much, they went away. I think maybe somehow my jaw was transmitting the pain up through my temples.

Secondly, since the pulsing is the same as my pulse, i'm thinking it is just my pulse that i'm feeling, although why I can only feel it in my temples when I have a head ache i'm not sure. I don't have any throbbing veins though, sorry.
|

replied May 28th, 2009
hi
tornman, i am having the exact same problem for a week no and right now in that aread is numb. is there anyone that can explain what this is about and why. is it stress related?
|

replied May 28th, 2009
When I was younger, from about 9-22 years of age, I had severe headaches. I don't know what caused them and never really researched them. Sometimes I couldn't get up because the pain was so intense, other times I would easily get irate at people because of the pain.

One day I woke up and knew something was different but wasn't sure exactly what, kind of similar to noticing something is different about your friend and you haven't realized what it is yet. And then it comes to you, oh no more braces, or a haircut, well just like that I noticed my headache was gone.

To this day ( and I actually have one right now) I still have headaches and even the ones that leave me curled up in my bed moaning while tears are streaming down the side of my face. They hurt!

I don't have a suggestion for your prolonged issue other than a CT scan or MRI or whatever does a brain scan, because it is possible you have a tumor or pressure in your skull( I watch way too much HOUSE).

But something that TOTALLY works for me with my temporary headaches is Excedrin. On a scale of 1-10, 1=weakest 10=extremely painful, I take two of the maximum strength for a 1-6 headache and three for a 6-10 headache. IF you notice the overlap on 6, its because when it gets to that level sometimes you can't be sure whether or not it will get worse, so i am cautious.

I am not a doctor, nor claim that my situation can resolve another persons medical condition. This did, and continues to help me when I have the issue as described above. With ANY advice, always make sure to get a second opinion from your doctor or nurse hotline.

I hope this helps!!

|

replied October 11th, 2009
Headaches - Migraines.
According to my doctor I suffer from "Cluster Migraines" I explained the strange throbbing in my head and my veins and he described something this. The heart is continually pumping blood around the body. When a migraine is induced the veins and blood vessel's in the head area constrict and become smaller. Therefor the blood has a smaller passage to pass through hence the throbbing and the pain. I hope this helped atleast one person atleast, the only remedy for me is plenty of pill's and SLEEP. Even then, If I cough, sneeze etc my head will hurt for the next 2-3 days yet only when I cough. Razz
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Gum chewing...
I too suffer from daily headaches and I'm not sure why/how but a daily headache is a form of having migraines. I think it's something that they've only started to study/diagnose. Also, TMJ can contribute to the pain and since you mentioned chewing gum you may have a misalignment in your jaw. I have the pulsating sensation when the headache is really bad and found this forum when trying to google 'pulsating headache' and strectching sends a rush of pain for me, even what I can only explain as a 'change in elevation' hurts if it's too sudden. (Sitting to standing, standing to bending over, not an actual change in elevation as if you were traveling to the mountains from the beach). Maybe look into someone that can help with TMJ?

I've tried so many meds (Rx migraine and OTC) and nothing really puts a dent in the pain.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
my vien beats when i have a headache
I have the same problem i have a migraines on both sides of my head and i would feel my vein pumping and i would have the worse intense pain. some times when i dont think about it i dont feel the pain and most of the time i would eat a big meal with meat and take a pill of aleve afterward and go to sleep. when i would wake up most of the time i dont have the pain, sometimes the pain would hurt less and sometimes i would wake up with the same headache
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Check your blood pressure, it can be related to high blood pressure! This only works if you take it while this is happening or else it will go away. If you do have high blood pressure during this type of headache there is a chance you have what I had, Pheochromocytoma, Tumor of the Adrenal Glands. Go get checked right away if you do have those symptoms. You can get an affordable Catecholamine test, urine test, and that will determine if you have that.
|

replied May 15th, 2010
pulsation in head
I too have headaches .I wake to them and they build as the day grows old.I have found no relieve from them.
I have pulsating in my neck all the time, after a few hours awake ( by noon) it has moved to my head/right temple/ top of head/ and has become intense.I feel it in my jaws , cheek bone and I taste metal in my mouth.(Perhaps iron )When it peaks ,I get peltations in my chest and also sharp pains in my heart. I wonder if it is not a restriction in my arteries.
|

replied July 25th, 2010
Giant Cell Arteritis
There is a certain condition called Giant Cell arteritis and it typically affects your temporal arteries. Sufferers present with:

Headaches
Tenderness and sensitivity on the scalp
Jaw claudication (pain in jaw on chewing)
Tongue claudication (pain in tongue when chewing)
Reduced visual acuity (blurring in one eye)
Visual loss (sudden blindness) or double vision
Tinitis (Ringing in ears)
Prominent temporal arteries which can be felt and are pulsatile.
Pulses may also be diminished throughout the whole body

If you have all of the above symtoms and are around the ages of 50-70, it may be that you have this condition. Giant cell arteritis also typically affects women more than men.
|

replied December 18th, 2011
I have the same thing and just had a clean MRI.
My doc isn't sure if I'm having migraines or tension headaches because I have some, but not all, symptoms of both. I just started taking pain medicine a few days ago but it's too early to tell if it's working.

THIS REALLY HELPS HEADACHES!!!! I get something called a Migrastick at an herbal store.It's a mix of peppermint and lavender oil that you rub on your wrists at the first sign of a headache.

Tension headaches can be caused by chewing gum because the chewing can cause tension in your face and head. The tense muscles restrict the blood flow and your heart rate may rise because you're heart is working harder to get the blood up into your head. The pulsing usually happens when I'm tired or stressed. If you feel this try to rest and relax, it may ease it. You could also be mentally peaceful and still have stress on your body. So if you're tired, getting a cold, getting your period, or something like that your muscle could be tense.
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
headaches
Hey guys , i am a 46 year old female, i started having these same type headache when i was 16 i was taken to so many doctor which tryed me on at least 50 different meds and nothing worked! !!! at 21 i needed some dental work in the exray my dentist noticed some problem in my jaw! !! After havin a few more simple test i was digonosed with tempermanbandler joint ( guessing on the spelling as pronanced sorry ) look it up for a better understanding! but thats a big word for the little disk in your jaw , i was told that i grind my teeth at night and you wear away the disk more in one night of grinding than in a life time of chewing!! Another symptom is pain when you open your mouth wide or jaw clicking! I still have headachs but treatment helped! ! Hope this helps some of you guys cause headaches suck!!! Ps no more gum and one more thing try opening your mouth just a little and push your chin out to relieve pressure sometimes your headache will slowly disappear! !
|

replied March 16th, 2012
This can also be from caffeine. I notice that I grind at night and have jaw problems sometimes, but when I stop drinking coffee then decide to hace a cup a week or 2 later I get these throbbing vein pains. Sometimes I have to take a xanex to calm down bc I think my head will explode. It will go away eventually.
|