Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Third Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Prenatal Vitamins??

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
Just wanted to know how many of you out their that are pregnant did not take your vitamins or iron? The reason for my question is because I havent. I first tried them when I was 16 weeks pregnant and I took them for about 3 days, then I started feeling sick, so I stopped. Is it bad for me or the baby?? Am I gonna have a small unhealthy baby because of that??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 18th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Well one of my good friends was in a very similar situation. She, in the beginning of her pregnancy lost 24 lbs and had to be admitted to the hospital for extreeeme dehydration. She was one of those women who was sick up until she gave birth. She never took one prenatal and her baby was tinee tiny...But very healthy. Prenatals aren't an essential because of the fact that they make soooo many women sick, they're just recommended...

You can actually supplement these vitamins in your diet, like eat lots of dark greens for your folic acid (which increases the birth weight), eat tuna (no more than twice a week) for your omega 3&6 fatty acids. I'm not too sure but if you look maybe on babycenter.Com or a link closely related, they'll give you a list of food that contain all the vitamins you'll need.

Good .Luck!!
Sarah
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Prenatal vitamins are very important because honestly-who has the time to eat healthy every meal every single day? The best thing to do if they are making you feel sick is take them at bedtime. Or try discussing it with your doc.
|

replied April 18th, 2006
Experienced User
Mine made me fell sick when I took then during the day so I went from day to taken them at bed time and it is much better for me..Does your doc know your not taken them have you talked to the doc abought this...And I still taken mine befor bed time and when I have the baby in sep I will be taken the after too since I will be brestfeeding baby..Good luck to you and abay
|

replied April 18th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
There are 'prenatal pops', it's all the vitamins you need in the form of a sucker....Totally forgot about those, but they have them at my ob/gyn. They're not nasty either. Of course you can't have one if you've taken your prenatal for the day...So they give seperate regular suckers too! I like to take mine in the morning with my breakfast...I just gotta make sure to eat enough at breakfast so that I don't get nausious!!

Good .Luck!!
Sarah
|

replied April 18th, 2006
This is very important and I am sure that very few of you use vitamins on correct way.

All vitamins and supplements should be taken with a meal for two reasons. First, it will enhance the absorption of the vitamins, and secondly, taking lifepak with a meal will improve the tolerance of the minerals in your stomak. Some of the minerals could make you feel sick.

Try to use your vitamins in thew midle of your morning meal and afetrnoon meal and you will feel the difference.
|

replied April 18th, 2006
Flintstones...Meet the flintstones!
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2006
No my doctor dosent know im not taking them... I just figure their is not much he can do about it.... I mean I do eat good.
Is to late to try taking them again. Im gonna try at night, never thought about it maybe it will work.... Now I feel terrible, I feel like a bad mom for not taking them or even making an effort, it sounds to me like im the only one that is pregnant and not taking my vitamins. :cry:

thanks for all the reply's
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2006
Supporter
I am 37 weeks tomorrow, and I haven't taken my pre-natals for a long time. They make me choke and most of the time I forgot to take them anyway. I've never been good at remembering to take pills. My baby is not tiny at all, in fact my doctor said it wouldn't be bad for him to come out right now because he is big. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't take them, tell your doctor that they make you sick and i'm sure he/she will reccomend something that will work for you! Good luck!
|

replied April 20th, 2006
Vitamins
I too stopped taking my pre-nata vitamins after trying for a week early in pregnancy. They made me sick all day every day no matter what time of the day I took them. I've been taking just a regular multi-vitamin ever since, plus a folic acid supplement. I'm now 33 weeks and doing just fine. I also told my doctor and she didn't seem too concerned. If anything, it's me that's going to suffer--not the baby.
|

replied April 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I .H.A.V.E to take my prenatals with a meal or i'll get sick. I wouldn't even attempt to take them on an empty stomach at night. I wake up like 4 times to potty and .K.N.O.W I would vomit one of those times. Once you vomit once from a prenatal, prepare for a fuuuun time. I made the mistake of taking one with a bowl of ceral, then taking a nap and the rest of my day was ruined!!!!!! I was like 12 weeks when that happened. I continued to take them though.

The ones I have chosen actually .D.O affect my baby. They contain high levels of folic acid, omega 3, omega 6, and iron. All of these contribute to the weight and development of my baby. I would suggest you tell your .Dr about not taking them. If you feel that it is no big deal, than so should your .Dr right??

I highly doubt they (.Dr's)s would push the prenatals if they were uneccessary.

Just my opinion though....

Sarah
|

replied April 21st, 2006
Experienced User
I havent took my prenatals in a long time.. I took them for a long time.. And they did the same thing, made me sick.. And then id just take them occasionally to the point where I completley forgot...39 weeks... We'll see wat happens! Ive been worrying my babys not gonna be completely healthy cuz of it
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Prenatal Vitamins??
la huera wrote:
just wanted to know how many of you out their that are pregnant did not take your vitamins or iron? The reason for my question is because I havent. I first tried them when I was 16 weeks pregnant and I took them for about 3 days, then I started feeling sick, so I stopped. Is it bad for me or the baby?? Am I gonna have a small unhealthy baby because of that??

i never took prenatal vitamins or iron pills (i did take folic acid until I was about 30 weeks or so preg)...I had horrific morning sickness that lasted all day and everyday and when I stopped taking the prenatals my sickness went away...So I tried taking them a few weeks later and they just made me deathly ill. My doctor said it was okay for me not to take them because I was young and healthy, and so it wouldn't hurt baby. There is no way that not taking them will make you have a small unhealthy baby...Because my baby was 8lbs 10 and 3/4 oz and perfectly healthy.

I'd also like to say that I took mine at bedtime and i'd just wake up (or wouldn't even be able to fall asleep) and have to puke. I also took mine with and without food and nothing helped. It was awful.

I just learned to eat as healthy as I possibly could, and was concious about how many servings of fruit and veggies I got, and fish (for the omega 3).
|

replied November 24th, 2009
I am 35 weeks pregnant. I told my doctor that I stoped taking my prenatal vitamins because of nausea. He said its okay as long as I eat healthy. He said that prenatal vitamins are important only during the first trimester.
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Im almost 7 months pregnant now and i did the whole battle with the vitamins thing .Prenatal vitamins should be taken before during and after the pregnancy . Even the healthy eaters might be lacking something a vitamin could offer , and because our baby's grab nutrients from us we need to replace them without having to overeat . I started taking a multivitamin that is 10 times more soluble then the ones from the pharmacy and it's easy to absorb so i don't get sick from them , plus i have insane energy now .
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
what to do
I Didt take my prenatel vitamins is that why my kids are small?
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.