Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

Depo And Infertility (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hi all!

I am 26 years old and have three children ages 9, 7, and 5. My problem is that my fiance and I are trying to have another baby, and can't seem to get pregnant. I was getting the depo shot consistently from august 2001 through august 2002 (5 shots total). It has now been 14 months since my last depo shot was due and I have been wondering if it may have caused infertility. After a little over a year, I finally got my period in the beginning of december, but it has now been almost 35 days and my period hasn't come yet. I took an at home prgnancy test and got a negative result. Has anyone else experienced a similar effect after stopping depo? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ChristinaJ
|

replied April 21st, 2006
Hang In There
I have been told by my obgyn that it can take up to 18 months for your periods to return to normal and your body to begin ovulating regularly again. Not to scare you, but it has now been 23 months since my last injection. Trust me, I know how upsetting it can be... Try not to get depressed though, happy, healthy women conceive much easier. :wink:
|

replied August 3rd, 2006
Depo
I was on depo for 3 years I came off it 2 years ago and have been ttc ever since got periods back 9 months later. Am having trouble getting preg now and think I have a blocked tube am gutted
|

replied August 3rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Depo is the most horrible bc any woman can take. If you plan of being infetile for almost 2 years than I say thats the best way to go! Your body gets so messed up with that shot and it does take about 18 months to get a regular cycle back.
|

replied September 11th, 2007
I took my last depo shot Nov. of 2002. It was only my second shot. I stopped taking it because I bled constantly. It's been almost 5 years since my lsat shot, and me and my husband tried to concieve for baby #1. I do blame the shot b/c before the shot, my periods were always on time, and regular. for the first 2 years of being off the shot, i bled twice a month. We've been trying for close to a year, and finally we have an appointment with an infertility doc at the end of this month. The depo shot is just about the worst shot that some woman can take.
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2007
Re: Depo And Infertility
ouch I used depo once and never got my peirod for a year and 3 months.. and only had the depo done once.. after that once my periods were regular about a year latter I became pregnant.. but miscarried each time I got pregnant had a laperscopy done and found out I have a bicornate uterus.. so the answere is yes u can but give r body time to adjest because what depo does is makes r body think that it should not have a period.. I will never ever take depo again
|

replied October 9th, 2007
Experienced User
Hi there saw this and thought I would let you know I saw this and no I'm not infertal but I thought maybe to give you some hope. I was on Depo for 2 years and got pregnant 3 months later. But my period had returned in only a month or so. Just give your body some time to adjust back like it does with any BC. And your stressing which makes a huge difference on getting pregnant for some reason!Smile Hope everything goes well and you have good news soon.
|

replied November 18th, 2007
i was on depo for about 9 months then it took about a year to get my periods back, i have been trying ever since to conceive but it just hasn't happened for me yet and have recently sent off for ovulex to help..anyone know anything about it?
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2007
Supporter
i was on the depo for a year that switched to the pills. I got off the pills in april of this year and my fiance and I havn't been "safe" for 7 months now (never got pregnant). My period have been irregular ever since I got off the pill. I'll be two weeks late on Thursday if af doesn't come so hopefully this is our month. But IDK yet!
|

replied March 12th, 2008
worried
i have been off the depo shot for 31/2 years and still me and my husband have not been able to concieve! we have been trying steadily now for 2 years to get pregnant and i blame the depo shot 100%. i only had 2 injections. now i feel our only hope is going to be adoption...... thanks depo!!
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Will be good keeping posted on this board about Depo so the world knows about this drug. I think this drug should be taken out of the market ASAP. Not only infertility is an issue but it also Depo causes "osteoporosis" and clearly stated on their label and still thousands of young girls get on this shot because it is an easy way of bc. Like they don't have to remember taking the pill everyday. Much better to remember to take the pill everyday than to have your health jeopardized this way.
|

replied July 24th, 2008
irregular periods on depo provera
Hi all I found out recently that not having a period can cause serious internal infection so I got off depo provera afer almost a year (I didn't get my last shot). Almost immediately after I had a pretty painful period but then when I was due again I didn't bleed but I was cramping so badly that I was sore. I took a pregnancy test that came out negative. I was just curious if this has happened with other people. Also I'm considering switching to the pill. Is that ok if I haven't already started bleeding? I'm so freaked out.
|

replied August 10th, 2008
OMG!!!! i thought i was so alone. I too was on the dreaded depo and it did take 18mths for me to get anything but even now i hardly bleed when i sposed to and i dont ovulate. I too have been trying for another bubs and im at the desperat stages as im now 30 yrs and hearing that clock lol
I have now been put on a fertility drug to ttc but so far no luck.
Try to be patient. there is a drug that brings on periods which is the opposite of depo called provera so maybe give that a try.
Just tell your doc your worried and he/she may help it along a bit.
|

replied September 4th, 2008
Depo shot
Hello My name is Michelle and i was on the depo for about a year or so. No one told me that you may not be able to hav children due to the depo, it make you not concieve children. I have been trying to get pregnant since 2001. I have trid the clomid fertility pill an still can not get pregnant. I have no children either so it is really hard fo me. I would not recommened the depo to anyone. I have been to several different dr's and they say that i should be able to get pregnant but still no babay????
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
mcursua1, has your partner been checked out? It may have nothing to do with you, but with his sperm.

I was on the Depo from Oct 2004-July 2005 (4 shots total) and became pregnant in July 2007 (healthy baby born in April 08 ). Had no type of bleeding what-so-ever for the entire year. My periods became regular again in about Nov-Dec of 05. My periods also became regular 2 months after giving birth, even though I am exclusively breastfeeding (I just think my body likes being regular).

It is possible to still be fertile after the Depo, but I would NOT recommend it to ANYONE, even my worst enemy. If someone is reading this and is considering a type of birth control, there are PLENTY of others that are just as effective. Try the patch, it's a little less convenient than the shot, but more than the pill, and just as effective as both.
|

replied January 25th, 2009
hi, my name is punkin. I'VE been off the shot for 7 months.Had a period december 19 for six days. It was real heavy blood cloths. January came i didn't have a period. My stomach hurted like I was getting ready to start.But nothing yet.I had a little bloating too.so how do it take to come pregant? Just trying to see bc my husband are going to try about a yerar from now.
|

replied February 4th, 2009
Angel
I urge all of my friends to stay away from Depo unless they don't ever want children. I was on it for a couple of years with no problems during that time. Went off to give myself enough time to get it out of my system before getting pregnant, and never got my period back. After months of testing, I was diagnosed with POF (premature ovarian failure, also know as premature menopause). At the age of 26!!! My husband and I have not been using protection for more than 5 years now and....no pregnancy. We are now doing in vitro fertilization (transfer will happen next week, wish us luck!).

I am CONVINCED that Depo is to blame for my infertility, though none of my doctors will utter a word of agreement. Tell everyone you know to stay far away from it!!!
|

replied February 19th, 2009
QUESTION?????
Its been 14 months now since my last depo shot and im wondering if i can get pregnant now...my periods have been regular for a year now
|

replied March 31st, 2009
same ol thing
i was was on the depo in high school to prevent getting pregnant but have now been off since jan 06 it is now mar09 and have had unprotected sex every single day and i mean everyday since but have not concived i belive im unable to have children . obgyn says im fine time just hasnt came yea right..ps im gettin married this year he nor i have children what a great wedding gift it wud be
|

replied April 1st, 2009
Experienced User
i was on the injection for 3years..i came off in sept 08.. i had 4 periods in those 3years.. after i stopped the depo i had a period in ,dec,jan,and feb..i was due my period march 20th but its not come..according to a online calculator goin off my last period i shud of ovulated 7th/8th march...which happens to be the days me and my partner had unprotected sex.. iv not had my period this month and im 13days late..had 2 negative hpt, got to go for blood results monday to see hcg levels..SO fingers crossed for me...i have all symptoms, sore,bigger breasts,late period,so i hope i am..i would advise anyone to NOT get the depo,seems to cause problems for many..
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile
User Profile