Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

My Boyfriend Can't Get Me Pregnant

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
:(
we have been trying to get pregnant, but he smokes pot and i'm wondering if this is the reason why I can't get pregnant. If we wanted to conceive and he stops smoking how long will it take for me to conceive?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 11th, 2006
Experienced User
First of all, it's none of my business but why would you like to have a baby with someone who is a drug addict? Your child could have so many problems due to the fact that he is into illegal , toxic, substances...It's neverending the ammount of things that the simple fact of smoking can do to a baby, wonder whoever smokes...And smokes pot!

There is no way out for you, your child will definately have problems...Mostly mental development (pot is known for destroying brain cells, and if the sperm that your boyfriend is producing is filled with the same dna and substances from his body,is more than likely your baby will not develop correctly)
so I wonder why such a smart girl (so I think) would want to first of all, not get married first...Build a home and be able to provide a nice education for her kids...,and then ...Want to have a child with someone so irresponsible , because if your boyfriend cant take care of himself...By using drugs...I wonder taking care of a baby...!
What about the times he would want to smoke pot close to your child?
Your child will have learning disabilities....Due to the fact that it's brain cells will be damaged in such early age.

Oh yeah, also the fact that the heart diseases, and a.D.D.,a.D.H.D that your child could have.

(a.D.D = attention deficit disorder) a.D.H.D is even worse!
Now honey...Im not here to judge you..None of us are...We're here to help.

Go ahead and consider all im telling you now...And please think about it!
I think you're way too smart to let this happen to you and to your future and your babies!
Good luck to you!
:)
|

replied July 27th, 2006
This is in response to the first reply you recieved.

This person, though i'm sure she had good intentions, is coming from a fairly uneducated view point on pot smoking and its effects on unborn children.

All the things she listed that could go wrong with your baby are somewhat true, but only if you are smoking pot, while pregnant. The only negative effect pot is going to have on your boyfriend is lowering his sperm count, thc (the active chemical in pot) can take weeks to fully leave the system, so i'd give it about 4 weeks to flush out, and then one or two weeks more to get to the point that he's producing enough sperm.

Now be aware that pot is definitly a contributing factor to low sperm count, but he could have low sperm count for other biological reasons that aren't going to be solved by quitting pot. But laying off the smoke for a couple of weeks is worth a try.

My boyfriend and I were both pot smokers, (but both live very productive and positive lives), we work in the music business, and in that busniess, pot is a cultural norm. When we decided to try for a baby, I didn't get pregnant for almost a year, and then we decided to cut way back on pot smoking, he quit altogether and I quit for the most part (only smoking every once in a while, during the first two weeks of my cycle, before I could get pregnant and it have any significant effect on my unborn baby). As soon as we quit, I conceived. Our child is a beautiful, and intelligent 2 year old girl. We never smoke around her, or leave any clues that we smoke at all. Which is feel is very very important because I do have friends who were raised by "hippie" parents who would smoke pot in front of them and they all have pretty significant drug problems. I know now my parents smoked when I was young too, but they kept it hidden, andi never had a clue and never discovered drugs until I was way into my college career.

I wouldn't consider being a pot smoker the equivalent of being a drug addict, I dont' believe its even considred an addictive substance by science, anybody who has experienced it knows better than to say that. But I can see how someone on the outside would jump to the "drug addict" conclusion

so, I do agree a little bit with the fanatical replier above, being exposed to marijuana at a young age or knowing that your parents smoke it, makes a child far more likely to develop a drug habit later in life.

But this is your decision, not ours. And do please know that your boyfriend being a pot smoker is not going to make your child any less intelligent, pot does not change the genetic make up of sperm, and there for cannot have any biological effects on a child due to the father smoking pot. The complications arrise when the pregnant mother actively smokes pot, and i've read a couple of (scientific) articles questioning if that is even true. I'm not saying go smoke pot when pregnant, and I don't believe you suggested you even smoke, but just be aware.

Good luck!
|

replied July 31st, 2006
Experienced User
Dear...
I am pretty sure I am not the low leveled educated person in this topic..
So far you are the one who does not recognize pot as a drug!
So far since I know it's still consider an illegal drug!
Have you gone out and tried smoking it freely in the streets?
I bet you didn't....
Besides its scientifically proven that if pot already damages formed brain cells which are ..By the way already formed in your own brain...Mind you...What would it do to cells still in the process of forming???
Which..By the way..I don't know if you know...That's how ababy starts....From cells!
So yeah...Go ahead and keep smoking pot you too...Because that is what is obviously damaging your brain by teaching others that it is ok to smoke pot and that they will have perfect kids ...!
You are lucky your poor innocent angel has turned out ok...Because god forbid it would have been different...You wouldnt be standing here encouring other young people to use illegal drugs..
By the way..I might as well just make sure of your information here and report you to the forum's directors...Also to the board of doctor's plus...I will make sure I put your bogus encouraging pot smoking, to some kind of authority..
You need help!
I advise you to get counseling and....Stop smoking pot a.S.A.P in order to not keep damaging you're already damaged brain...That can actually trick you into thinking that abusing of illegal drugs ...Is something nice to tell other people about..
May the lord bless you..And forgive you for encouraging other people to use drugs...
|

replied August 1st, 2006
High Hats And Soap Boxes
I've dealt with religious fanatics like you my whole life, and I understand you are too narrow minded to see another person's perspective. So i'm not going to bother arguing with you. I am a well educated person, and want you to know that pulling some information off of a few (probably religious) websites and thumping a bible does not give you more authority on a subject.

People need kindness and understanding much more than lectures and condemnation. And if you can't give a response on a medical oriented website that isn't heavily tainted by religion, you shouldn't give one at all.

So go pray and meditate on that for a while.
|

replied August 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Pot doesnt make you unable to concieve and have any issues with a baby...That is, if its only the male doing pot....But, it can reduced somewhat his sperm count but thats not only with pot anything they smoke can have this affect. I doubt the pot is the major issue...Try calculating your cycles and know when your about to ovulate. And I do agree why would you want a child with a drug addict?
|

replied August 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Can I just ask how long you have been trying for? It takes some time to conceive (even for couples who are both completely fertile) and doctors don't even suggest running further tests unless you've been trying for one year + without success.
I also agree with emma, whilst it would be best if he would stop smoking pot when you're ttcing it's not going to be causing that much of a fertility problem. You're not smoking it so don't worry about the fetus I you do conceive. Also, try charting to make sure you know when your most fertile time is.

Good luck
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Ha - pinupgirl, just a thought .. You think just because someone smokes pot that makes them a drug addict?

Hahahahaha.. Wowww :)
|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2006
Smoking pot does not make you a drug head...It's not a good idea...But it does not make you a drug head
|