Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Im Not Ovulating, Am I Infertile?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

hi im new to the forum, and I wanted to know if anyone had any advice or information for me. Well I have a 7yr old son, I got pregnant with him when I was 21. Now im 27 and me and my current boyfriend want to have a baby together. Now ive been taking triamterene(which is hypertension medicine) for several yrs now, and I have low iron deficiency. Before I got pregnant with my son I was ovulating like crazy, but now I dont ovulate at all, at least I think I dont. My boyfriend and I has had unprotected sex for 6 months now, with no luck of pregnancy. Can I be infertile or could it be the side effects from the medicine and the low iron. If anyone that has had experience with ovulation complications could give me some advice or help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Crying or Very sad Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper catwalks
|

replied February 5th, 2004
Why is it that you believe you are not ovulating? If you are charting your basal body temperature (bbt) and this shows no clear, sustained temperature rise, then it is likely you did not ovulate for that cycle.

If you have only recently started charting your bbt, and notice an anovulatory cycle, bear in mind that most women will experience the ocassional anovulatory cycle, so one anov cycle does not necessarily mean you are not ovulating regularly. If you have consistent anov cycles, you should see your doctor as there are many ways to increase your chances of ovulating both naturally and with medication.

If you do not currently chart your bbt (i suggest you do as this is an invaluable ttc tool!) there are other signs that indicate you are ovulating such as fertile cervical mucus (the consistency of raw egg whites) approximately 14 days before the start of your next period and a high, soft cervix. Some women also experience ovulation pains around the time of ovulation. You can also purchase ovulation predictor kits fairly readily that indicate a surge in lutenising hormone (lh) which precedes ovulation.

The most reliable way to determine ovulation is by charting your bbt. They also have huge amounts of info on fertility and ovulation as well as charting.

If you are not ovulating, it may be to a hormonal imbalance or a vitamin/mineral deficiency. Best to contact your doctor who will be able to tell you for sure and also provide treatment to ensure you ovulate again.

Good luck!!!

Fiona
|

replied March 4th, 2006
fionat3 wrote:
why is it that you believe you are not ovulating? If you are charting your basal body temperature (bbt) and this shows no clear, sustained temperature rise, then it is likely you did not ovulate for that cycle.

If you have only recently started charting your bbt, and notice an anovulatory cycle, bear in mind that most women will experience the ocassional anovulatory cycle, so one anov cycle does not necessarily mean you are not ovulating regularly. If you have consistent anov cycles, you should see your doctor as there are many ways to increase your chances of ovulating both naturally and with medication.

If you do not currently chart your bbt (i suggest you do as this is an invaluable ttc tool!) there are other signs that indicate you are ovulating such as fertile cervical mucus (the consistency of raw egg whites) approximately 14 days before the start of your next period and a high, soft cervix. Some women also experience ovulation pains around the time of ovulation. You can also purchase ovulation predictor kits fairly readily that indicate a surge in lutenising hormone (lh) which precedes ovulation.

The most reliable way to determine ovulation is by charting your bbt.

If you are not ovulating, it may be to a hormonal imbalance or a vitamin/mineral deficiency. Best to contact your doctor who will be able to tell you for sure and also provide treatment to ensure you ovulate again.

Good luck!!!

Fiona
:wink:

well I am 21 and we have been triying to get pregnet for about 2 years I an realy roried we have don some tests at the doctor and I am not ovulating I am not sure wut the next sep is bu I hope we can and are able to have a bundle of joy some day soooon!!!!!!

Dayzy :(
|

replied March 5th, 2006
Experienced User
They could be side effects from your medication and it would very well be worth your time to talk to the dr that prescribed it. Let him know you are looking to conceive!

You can also find that info out yourself by doing a search on the med yo uare on along with the word fertility.

I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information from other women on that medication as well, by doing that search!

While charting can give you information on your fertility....If you haven't gotten a period...Then you have no clue where you are in your cycle to begin with...So it's pretty much a moot point.

Talk to your doctor and do that search!

Good luck to you!

Nancy
edit
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Not Ovulating
Why do you bleed if you're not ovulating???
|

replied March 10th, 2011
Some Questions and Insight about missing Periods
I am scared as well because I am a 25 yr old female who just recently turned 25 and have not had a period in 10 months and I am not pregnant. Now when I were 18 I conceived but miscarried and it was very and still is hard on me. I am worried that I am not ovulating. My normal cycles were having a period about 4 times each year whih was every 3 months. I have been abnormal for years. They use to say that I had unbalanced hormones. Since of everything between an laproscopic surgery and cervix biopsies I have had no luck with getting pregnant. I heard that if biopsies are scraped from an vagina it can very well make you become sterile is this so? As well I am so scared because I want a baby so bad. I have also realized that if I gain weight I miss my periods rapidly but if I lose weight my period comes on and lasts longer than normal ranging from 9 days - 22 days long.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul