Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Lump On Back of My Head (Page 1)

I discovered a lump on the back of my head a couple of days ago- on the left side, on the bottom of the bone of my skull. It hurts to touch and is now making me dizzy when I push on it. I went in to my Dr. And he said I have vertigo and the bump is probably a bone spur caused by the frequent migraines I get in the back of my head. I can understand having vertigo, but the lump concerns me. It seems to be getting more painful. Does anyone have any info for me? I don't want to ignore it if it really is something to be concerned over.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper junaldinho
|
Users who thank barrybarry for this post: texmex 

replied May 16th, 2006
Re: Lump On Back of My Head
Hi barry barry,

i have the same problem. I noticed mine yesterday and today it has gotten more painful. I did a google search and came across your question. My lump is also on the left side. Were you able to find out anything?

barrybarry wrote:
i discovered a lump on the back of my head a couple of days ago- on the left side, on the bottom of the bone of my skull. It hurts to touch and is now making me dizzy when I push on it. I went in to my Dr. And he said I have vertigo and the bump is probably a bone spur caused by the frequent migraines I get in the back of my head. I can understand having vertigo, but the lump concerns me. It seems to be getting more painful. Does anyone have any info for me? I don't want to ignore it if it really is something to be concerned over.
|

replied April 7th, 2011
painful hard lump on back of head
I have exactly the same problem, bottom left of my head and ive been experiancing headaches and migraines before this appeared....getting a bit worried the lump is that hard it feels like bone but very painful to touch....please someone give us some answers!
|

replied April 7th, 2011
painful hard lump on back of head
I have exactly the same problem, bottom left of my head and ive been experiancing headaches and migraines before this appeared....getting a bit worried the lump is that hard it feels like bone but very painful to touch....please someone give us some answers!
|

replied April 10th, 2011
Lump
I have the same problem. I have a lump on my right lower side on back of the head. I had surgery to remove it last year, now it has grown back I am due to have another surgery. Any signs of lumps on back of head - Go straight to GP and ask to see neurologist. Usually it is a matter of urgency to remove the lump due to lots of nerves and blood vessels in the head. Where the lump is, its putting one of my blood vessels in danger. So I am having an op ASAP.
Hope this helps. Go and make an emergency GP appointment
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 21st, 2011
junaldinho48@live.co.uk
Excuse my ignorance but was the lump at the back of your skull bony and was your next operation successful?? #Just to be sure!!
|

replied May 7th, 2012
I also have a lump on the lower right side of my head . Did your itch ? I call mine my headache button . When I touch it or lay on my back I get a real bad headache. I am staying tired and can't keep up with my workouts anymore.
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
i have the same exact problem i get really dizzy and sharp pains hurts to even open my eyes, mine lump is on the left side of my head in the back and sometimes it makes me just collapse idk what it is
|

replied January 5th, 2012
Hey this is odd, i have the same problem i now have a headache and i had pain through my head that made my eyes twich like a mini fit or something. I think the fatty lump like thing dissolved on its own slowly and now its just like a sore bump on my left near the cerebellum. I once went to the doctor for something similar on my left wrist and on my right hand, he said it will go away. i found out later that it may just be a harmless ganglion cyst that you can hit hard and will dissolve - i hit it and it went away but i mean not on our head and on back of right hand that would be painful!
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied February 14th, 2012
wanted to know if u ever got a answer to ur prob. i suffered from 2 seizures. 1 on dec 30 and also in march 2011. i recently discovered a lump on my lower left skull. it has recently has gotten larger. when i awake i am sick to my stomach. right before i sleep i will jerk. and i awake with cold sweats. during the day i can bend over and stand again and lose balance. i look to my right and if i hold my eyes there i feel ass i will vomit. if i feel the lump it does not hurt. but when i move around it and down it feel like something is pulling from the ear down to the spine. any idea?
|

replied July 18th, 2014
I have the same exact story! I have suffered from 2 seizures about 8 years ago and I have the same symptoms as you I mean EXACT! And my bump is in the same exact place so if ANYONE has any idea as to what this is PLEASE tell me!!! I kinda concerned :[
|

replied May 10th, 2013
I have the same thing. What is it?
|

replied July 8th, 2013
I know this post is old and I have the same problem. Well I had the problem once on my right side at the base of my skull and went to an oriental clinic in South Korea (acupuncture) and he took care of it in two visits. I had that lump for two months before my friend took me. That was 2 years ago and now I have a huge lump again but on my left side at the base of my skull. I have not found out what it is and it is making my dizzy again and I have headaches. All I can say is I am going to find and acupuncture to fix my problem again. That stuff works and if I can't find my answer with conventional western medicine then I should go where it works.
|

replied May 9th, 2007
Did you ever find out what caused it? I've just noticed one on the left side at the top of my neck, is it a bone spur?

Please answer if you get this.

Thanks

Martin
|

replied September 20th, 2007
Lump On the Back of My Neck
Hi,

I did find out what it was. My lymph nodes were swollen because I had an infection on my scalp/close to my head. They went down once I took my medicine.. I know my response is a little late but hope it helps.
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
I have the same lump on the bottom left side of my skull and it's really making me nervous because a few months ago I passed out/had a seizure out of nowhere and the doctors looked at my heart but never check out my head. Now I have this lump and really bad headaches but nobody will take it seriously because they say it's lymph nodes. I really hope it is but they aren't even looking at it before deciding that is what it is. What was yours like? is it hard and hurts when you touch it but otherwise can't really tell its there? were you having really bad headaches? blurred vision? nauseous? I just want to know its not something serious but my doctor isn't paying any attention to me about it.
|

replied December 7th, 2012
What kind of Medicine did you take?
|

replied December 18th, 2008
head bone spurs
I have had many injections in my neck for disc problems. I have noticed a couple of lumps on the back of my head. Could it be because of the injections? Should I be worried? They are about one inch from the bottom of my skull.
Adrienne
|

replied February 3rd, 2009
Removed Lump from back of head
In July I had a lump removed from the back of my head that came up 7 days earlier when I got EXTREMELY angry and was VERY painful. The lump was supposed to not be any cancer but had a blood supply and nerves in it. Now 1/4 of my head is ultra sensitive and still painful at times, but there is no lump. The Dr is not sure what to tell me and said I should go to pain management. Now I'm not sure what to do. Keep posting what happens with you all.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
Excuse my ignorance but was the lump at the back of your skull bony?
|

replied February 24th, 2009
lump on the right side
hi i have a lump on the right side about an inch above the hair line. it came about 4 days ago and everyday it hurts more!i dont know if i should go in it is hard but i am am pretty sure it is not a bone spur, i have had bone spurs and they dont feel like this. can anyone help???
|

replied July 24th, 2011
YOU TOO??
I have the same issue! but ive had mine for months. I think I have a Vertigo, most likely, or Ménière's disease. I would check if you have the same symptoms.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
lump on right side
I also discovered a lump on right side of the back of my head about 4 weeks ago. However, since i went to see a chiropractor who fiddled with my spine a little and neck I have been more aware of it. I don't know whether its because I have had pain in my neck and been messing with that which has caused a mild headache and for me to now be able to feel this lump more. It doesn't hurt as such but I can feel it without touching it if you get my meaning?
i have booked an appointment with my doctor tonight although I am not holding my breath for a diagnosis or peace of mind from him cos I have never done in the past. Will let you know.

nik
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Experienced User
lump on back of my head
To get an interesting answer to your lumps, type in, google answers: what causes permanent head bumps? Don't change any words or you may not get this site. I think this will help all of you that have this problem. After reading the info, I feel it a good idea to see a doctor and tell them what you found out and have them send you to whom ever can help you further.
|

replied April 1st, 2009
lump
i visited my doctor and he told me I have a cyst and it will be there permanently but if it causes me any grief then i can get it cut out if I want? Not really happy with that so I am gonna get a second opinion.
|

replied April 1st, 2009
Experienced User
lump
nik2301
Okay, nik231, I did some extra research and made some calls for you. First off, did your doctor say it wasn't cancer? If it isn't,it may be what's called sebaceous cyst. This can come from swollen hair follicals. I'm going to give you info on a medical cream that could help and two natural alternative ways it could help too, but if it is cancerous,let me know as there is something that is natural that can help that too. But, you need to know for sure, which is which.You can ask your doctor about these if you want. The fucidin ointment you will most probably have to get from him.
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
lump on left side
I also discovered a lump/bump on the back of my head at the same place on the left side about a week ago, the only difference is that mine isnt sore at all, isnt making me dizzy, doesnt hurt to touch, even if I push it really hard and is causing me no grief at all. I got bitten by a mozzie and scratched that area of my head BEFORE the bump was there and it turned into a scab...now the scab is gone and the lump has gone down a bit and still isnt causing me any grief at all...just a bit itchy...(as I have a very sensitive scalp) should I be worried at all??? Or could it just be a bump left over from the sore?
|

replied August 19th, 2011
I have exactly what you have... sensitive scalp I guess from maybe hair product? who knows but I have no side effects and no issues really. I just noticed it tonight and was looking online. This blog is what I came across and makes me feel a little better. LOL.
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
Experienced User
lump on left side
Got some info for you. First off, I don't believe you will have any problem with the bite, but don't scratch off the scab. Put some vicks on it instead or order something called 'Swedish Bitters,' its on the web. Another interesting thing that may help you out, that too is on the web, is a little gaget called 'the mosquito click.'This may help with any further bites...you can zap them. Another reccomendations that too may help is to use vinegar on the sore. I take garlic to prevent mosquito bites when I go outside during the summer. Some people take vitamin B-1 to help them. I keep a bottle of swedish bitters in my cabinet as this stuff is great for many bites, even snake bites [ including taking some by mouth ]. You might want to read up on this great product. I hope this bit of info helps. If you need more help, let me know. 5050
|

replied April 17th, 2009
Lump on the left side of my head...causing numbness and dizzines
I am a 28 year old woman who has had dizziness and imbalance(vertigo) symptoms for the past few years on and off. I noticed a bump on the left bottom side of my head about an inch up from my hair line and I went to get an MRI to see if it was a tumor and everything came out ok. The bump doesn't hurt when I leave it alone, however I've been having numb cheeks and sometimes my eyes twitter without me wanting it to. When I do press or massage this bump on my head it feels a little tight and sore, as do my neck. I know it's not a tumor, but what really bothers me is having the feeling of being imbalanced at times even when I am still and having numb cheeks and headaches...if anyone knows what's going on, please let me know. I have made an apt to see a doctor about the bump and symptoms next week.
Thanks!
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Experienced User
lump on side of head
Jolly_jacq
It sounds as if you could have a form of allergies and possible pressing of a nerve or nerves for the causing of numbness and/or dizziness. There are many smyptoms and possibilities for lumps on ones head.Greatfully, yours is not cancerous, but I would go to a neurologist with questions on a piece of paper and ask him what he thought. For instance, ask if your inner ear, teeth or other symptoms could be the cause of the symptoms you mentioned.There are other ways to find out about the causes of a tumor or cyst other than MRI's,too.Let me know what you did and what they said. Good luck. 5050
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Lump on the bottom right side on the back of my head
I have a lump in the back of my head on the right side. I'm military and I waiting for 5 hours just to be seen. The doctor walked in and rubbed the back of my head about four or five times and told me "it could be a boil, or it could be a spider bite, or I slept on it and that area was not getting enough blood flow or oxygen". I wasn't bit by anything. My friend told me it sounds like my occipital lobe could be the problem.
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
i pretty much found out this one morning and im a really heavy sleeper so i probably got bit by something or slept on it wrong, or even adjusted and hit my head on my side table because it is fairly close to it and i always wake up om the edge of the bed
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Experienced User
BayouSlim:

The occipital lope is the visual processing center of the mammalian brain. In other words- It's in the back of the brain that processes visual information and also contains association areas that help in the visual recognition of shapes and colors.It receives and interprerts visual data delivered from the eyes via, the optic nerves. Are you having any visual problems? Have you read some of the above answers to lumps? It could also be what I call a nerve lump. My mother had one for years. When she was worried about something, it came out.Again, look at some of the above answers and if you can, go to a computer and do some research. Write down some of your findings and ask your doctor what he thinks. If you don't have time to do this, give me more Info about your lump, such as, how it feels,how big is it, does it hurt, what color is it, etc and I'll get back with you on some more Info as to what I find. 5050
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
I have a painful very small luump at the right side of my back head. It appeared the next day after having a very bad panic attack. It was so painful first day when I woke up, I was at sitting position in bed with two pillows. I might have been slept wrong that night becase I took Ativan for my panic attacks and do not remember how I slept. Now it is just a stiff neck and a painfuul back headace.
The lump is almost shrunk, I do not feel it anymore when I put my finger on it. not there , shrunk. Bt the area still soar and aches.
Can anxiety, stress cause this or it is just a coincidence?
Should I wait few more days or go see a doctor . It seems , it is getting better.
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
head lump
i have a same problem... i do have very painful attacks on the right side of my head then the lump appears.. those days i was very tensed. is it due to stress. after a month ago i expeinced the pain in my cheeks and teeth when i go to sleep..but now its.ok still having lump getting painful when i slept in wrong position or sometime due to stress. can any body tell me what to do?/
|

replied July 14th, 2009
I have a knot on the back of my head that came about 3 months ago prior to this time. It is very painful to touch and causes pain even if I dont touch it. I am so mad that its back because it lasts about 2 weeks and all I can do is cup it with my hand and cry sometimes. I was told could be 1 of 2 things. Could be a muscle in the back of my neck that is strained or could be a lymph node. I noticed both times that I had a sore on my scalp and picked the scab off. Maybe an infection. going to get it checked out though. I cant handle the pain from it.
|

replied July 18th, 2009
I had a rather large lump on the left occipital area of my head. It radiated pain into my neck and left shoulder. It lump itself wasn't painful to the touch, but it was very concerning. I was also having headaches and dizziness. Full battery of tests... MRI, CAT revealed nothing. Went to the chiropractor. It was my C2 vertebrae rotated to the right. The muscles in my neck were pulling on the left to accomodate the right rotation of the atlas. As soon as he adjusted me, the lump disappeared.
|

replied October 13th, 2011
Hi this is joseph
I am in the same situation and have a bump and the left side of my head
it is about 1.cm^2 (tip of my index finger covers it) in area
does not hurt
have no headaches
.6 inches above the hairline on the back of my head
any diagnostics?
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
are you serious?? because i havent seen the chiropractor since football season and that was since September 2011, and i just recently found this lump when i woke up and im going to the chiropractor tomorrow, should i ask him if he should look at it?
|

replied July 16th, 2012
Im scared at this point...
NOOOOO....dont just assume its nothing..i have recently found a large hard knott on my right side by the hairline..it hurts to touch..i have two small ones on my left side..i also have lesions on my scalp..i have been dealing with acne nodules that are painful..and i have all symptoms of hyperthyroidism..i have been diagnosed with auto-immune HLA-B27 antigen..and i have had recurrent uveitis more than 5 times..i am fatigue and lost dramatic weight as well as hair loss..more than 100/day..my scalp is also very sensitive..i even had a moment of paraylsis and my lymph nodes are huge!! there are more symptoms im sure im forgetting..but i have an appt tomorrow to see my past RA specialists..and i searched autoimmune HLA-B27..came up with a new term...Sarcoidosis..dont ignore it please..this has been a slow progress for 4 months..and the knotts came a week ago...NO INS. and the local health center doctors DoNT KNOW jack>>>goood luuuck
|