Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Periods And Poop (gross But Help!)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Whenever im on my period I have to poop (lol) non freakin stop anytime I get a cramp I gotta rush to the bathroom and go. Does anyone else get this way, I jus started bcps in hopes it will make the bathroom trips less frequent. If anyone has a solution to this please fill me in. I eat pretty healthy homemade salads everyday for lunch, I rarely eat junk food (sumtimes the occassional ruffles and french onion dip), I eat yogart on the regular (eating some as we speak)...I doubt its the food...

Thanks in advance..

Sorry if I am being gross.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper eveers
|

replied April 6th, 2006
Experienced User
I think alot of us have that same problem. I get the runs the day before my cycle starts usually. Sometimes for me it is the food. Dairy products like yogurt seem to affect me more at that time of the month.

I don't know of any solution. I salute you for eating healthy, I crave chocolate and sweets more than anything those few days of the month, always have.
|

replied April 6th, 2006
Whew, I thought I was the only one who had that problem! :p I found that birth control pills really helped.
|

replied April 10th, 2006
Experienced User
I get like that too.. The week before my period I get constipated.. And then the day i'm going to get it I have alot of bowel movements, and that keeps going during the rest of the week that I have it.. I'm pretty sure the cramps have something to do with it.. But I could be completely wrong.
|

replied February 8th, 2011
Ughhhhhhh it sucksssssss! And especially when you have a 14 mo old following you into the bathroom everytime trying to get in your lap or reach in the toilet or or.... Ugh, thank god for naptime. I really need a solution though! Everthing hurts Sad
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
I get really bad pain i feel like i am going to pass out when i poop on my peroid i be in so much pain. I started taking Metmucil 3 times a day.the pain has gotten better.
|

replied April 23rd, 2013
I'm the same way! It's been so bad I thought about going into urgent care. Its like the cramps intensity is triggered by stomach pain and pooping. I feel like I'm going to pass out because of all the pain and the sick feeling together. Sometime I have to vomit but after I poop or vomit I lay down immediately and wake up and the pain is gone. It's very strange. I feel like i'm in labor!because I'm so exhausted. Then I go to sleep right away and when I wake up feel so much better. I only take two pain relievers and surprisingly this helps.
|

replied April 23rd, 2013
I'm the same way! It's been so bad I thought about going into urgent care. Its like the cramps intensity is triggered by stomach pain and pooping. I feel like I'm going to pass out because of all the pain and the sick feeling together. Sometime I have to vomit but after I poop or vomit I lay down immediately and wake up and the pain is gone. It's very strange. I feel like i'm in labor!because I'm so exhausted. Then I go to sleep right away and when I wake up feel so much better. I only take two pain relievers and surprisingly this helps.
|

replied May 13th, 2012
I have a lot of bowel movement the week before my period. I can't figure what it is either but it's the only time it happens.
|

replied May 14th, 2012
Community Volunteer
It is the changes in hormones in your body due to your period coming. Some women get this, some not. It is just another PMS symptom, lcause by the same hormones that cause the others.

Take care!
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Poop and cramps
Actually, it's the cramping muscles which cause the other muscles around the uterus, small, and large intestines to contract...when they contact, waste product (poop) is pushed out...the more cramping and more waste product in the intestines, the more which comes out...this is a good thing because the more poop that comes out, the less space it takes up...which can cause a feeling of bloating...not fun at all.
|

replied August 11th, 2012
Then how do you make it better because I almost passed out from the pain and it's made me feel like I'm going to throw up. It's such a constant feeling to I haven't had a little relief since I've woken up even when I have been able to go to the bathroom successfully.
|

replied September 11th, 2012
This is a huge problem with me too, but it's during my entire period, and not just before it. I recently moved into a dorm too, so there's 40 girls using 4 toilets, and period poops are QUITE inconvenient. Usually, though, when I take painkillers for my cramps, I don't have the extreme urge to run to the bathroom anymore either.
|

replied September 11th, 2012
Community Volunteer
This is caused by a chemical produced in your body to help with your period called prostaglandins. It is a fairly common side effects. I am sure that if you talk to your 40 dorm mates, quite a number will have increased bowel movements around their periods.

Normally the medicine you take to help with your cramps is an NSAID (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug) pain killer. NSAIDs are what is called a prostaglandin antagonist. It prevents the formation of the prostaglandins.
|

replied January 5th, 2013
I know this may sound REALLY weird, but I have been dealing with this problem my whole life.(well since i had periods) I can get rid of it every time by first taking some ibuprofen, laying in a hot shower(so the hot water hits my belly), then going right to my bed, lay down, and masturbate. I swear when you orgasm it somehow helps. dont knock it till ya try it, i swear it works. you wont feel any better until you orgasm or the ibuprofen kicks in.
|

replied January 5th, 2013
Community Volunteer
What you are describing are the typical things a woman experience when your period comes:

Pills like Midol or Pamprin may work even better than Ibprofin as they will also help for bloating. Watch out for taking Midol with caffeine when you want to sleep however. Midol PM is better for that.

You can use a warm water bottle or heat pack on your stomach.

For many women, an orgasm can help to relax, get rid of cramps quicker, and just feeling better in general. Sleeping also helps.
|

replied August 5th, 2013
I know this may sound funny but I have my own theory. I tend to think that cramps are caused by the pooping or constipation.
|

replied August 5th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Your uterus wall is a big and powerful muscle. It is so powerful that it can push a baby out when you give birth. Cramps are this muscle contracting to shed and dissolve the prepared uterus lining when you do not get pregnant.
|

replied August 12th, 2013
Bowel movements during periods
I find that exercising, (when the period is not too heavy) helps. Otherwise, a shower is always good too. Pain killers seem to eradicate the problem for a few hours, but I'm not so keen on taking too much medication.
|

replied August 13th, 2013
My bowels run very good to while Im menstruating... I never thought it to be a problem..
|

replied August 13th, 2013
I am 13 and I always have awful cramps before my period! I felt like I was gonna pass out. I kept having weird looking poop so I thought I was constipated but then I took some Advil and had my period the next day.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied January 24th, 2014
so when i get mine, my organs feel like there all entangled and being twisted and i cant use the restroom, but today i was trying to use the restroom and i feel like something other then (poop) is coming out, it is really uncomfortabl not really sure what to do
|