Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Help!! 5 Months Old Baby Neck Control!!

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Hi everyone I am a mom of 5 month of baby daughter, I would like to find out when did your baby has a good neck control. The reason I asked is because my baby girl is 5 months and one week old she doesnt have a very good neck conrtol yet! I heard other moms said that their baby didnt have a good neck control in the end of 5 months or they just recently have a good neck control at 6 months...Some start as early as 4 months...I am just worried please let me know when your baby start having a good neck control??? Thanks :wink:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Ms Chief
|

replied April 5th, 2006
Experienced User
Can she hold her head up at all?

If she's on her tummy, does she lift her head to look around. At that age i'd expect a baby to be at least able to lift her head, even if she can't hold it long.

Put her on her back, and pull her gently towards a sitting position by her hands- does she bring her head up towards you with her shoulders, or does it just hang back ? She sould be bringing it forward at least a bit by now.
If her neck is really floppy still, or it is worrying you - get her checked out, or even just mention it at her next immunizations.

Maybe you've been over carefull about always supporting her head, or she hates being on her tummy- and she hasn't had alot of opportunity to build up some muscles?
If she doesn't seem especiallly floppy in ger=neral- like she has controll of her little arms and legs, then I wouldn't think it could be anything too serious.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I have no idea on this one..Because my son seriously could hold his head up the day he was born...It took him about a week and a half out of the hospital to have control where he didnt wiggle around and pop it back and forth...But all babies are different but if you are worried then ask your peditrician
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
It's different for different babies. Just make sure you give her enough tummy time. One of my nephew could hold his head up at 3 1/2 mos. Another couldn't hold his head up until 6 mos.
|

replied February 28th, 2011
HI, my baby is 8 month old. she always look down, it means she hardly take her head up and look strait. But she moves her head left right. In this situation what should i do?
|

replied January 2nd, 2012
I think my baby girl has cerebral palsy
ive got a 5 month old baby girl who has no head control it just flops forward.. and when on her tummy she can only hold it for a few seconds.. she was diagnosed with hypertonia at 4 weeks and has been having physio since 6 weeks... i think she might have cerebral palsy but they say she is too little yet to tell... Sad
|

replied June 24th, 2012
help
Hi wass 980. , I have a baby, not holding his head up, can u share, Wat u did to help ur child, also howz her health,
|