Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

I Feel So Fat That I Hate Myself. Pathetic I Know...

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Can anyone offer a little advice. For as long as I can remember i've binged. Now i've developed an addiction to exercise and at the moment i'm running 30 minutes every day which isn't actually that extreme I suppose. The problem is I have no job at the moment so that is the only exercise and activity I really have. Also being at home i'm binging more because I get bored and i'm slowly starting to put on weight. I'm 5'7 and weight 120 pounds which is healthy for my height but I want to get down to 112 at least. I was 112 about a month ago and I think I can do it. If I cut my calories down to 1000 a day-a small breakfast, lunch and dinner and continue to exercise for 30 minutes every day-at least- will the weight come off? As long as I don't binge it will right?I ate a lot last night so i've had a small breakfast and am off to the gym now. I know I should exercise more than 30 mins but I get really bad asthma and just can't handle it. My friends are like my enemies too-they are always getting me to eat but it's ok for them-they are slim! God I need help...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi.
I think you don't need to lose any weight, really, you must be fine like that.
Eating poor meals (specially a poor breakfast) and exercising a lot will not make you slimmer, because you will not be taking good care of your body.
You, as everyone else, need to give fuel to your body so it can work properly.. I can even have the opposite effect: as you don't give enought food to your organism, it will keep every little thing you eat - you can even gain weight that way. I know because it happened to me...
Your friends are trying to help you, listen to them...
If you really want to lose weight, talk to a nutritionist - check at medical schools, for exemple. At universities, doctors aren't usually so expensive.

I'll be here if you need to talk or anything else.
|

replied April 7th, 2006
Hi
Hi thanks so much for your advice but exercising on little food has made me slimmer. I know people say starving your body will make you fat but that's a little of a lie. When I exercise and cut down my food the weight falls off. For like 2 months I was so busy with work that I ate very little but continued to exercise. I must have lost like 3 stones. Unfortunately i've put on a stone over the last month partly because i've not been working and so have been less active and being bored you tend to eat more. I binged so much last night that I was in pain. I binged saturday, sunday, tuesday yesterday and ive just had a whole tub of ben and jerrys as well as 8 biscuits and 4 toast and its only 12.30pm. Sick I know. I need to burn this all off so i'm going to give myself more time to lose the weight now. So i'm going to give myself the next month to lose a stone which is healthier. I've realised theat when I eat sweet food or sweet drinks even diet drinks it sparks off a major binge but when I avoid these foods I dont binge. I should lose a stone in a month. Averaging 3 pounds a week. The bad thing about binging as soon as you stop the weight drops off and so you think you can afford to eat lots again when really you should just stay healthy.
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
I know that you cam get slimmer that way, i've gone throw that too! That and even worse things.
But what I said is completelly true: you can also put weight on - it depends on how your organism is working...
And I also know that being bored - specially at home - is and easy path to eat too much. But try not to blame yourself every single time you eat something called "bad". It's done, so let's move forward. Try to do something that keeps you busy, like an hobby, something that you like and that keeps you away from those nasty thoughts...

I assure you it will be a lot more healthier if you try go recover good eating and nourishing habits, like i'm doing now! :) and I feel a lot better - during the first times, I didn't and I felt it was too hard for me. And even now, there are hard days for me, but I just keep fighting this illness.

Ok?
I'll be here at anytime o/
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2009
2 point that may help.
1) The binging may be a symptom, not the actual problem With no job and feeling fat, self-confidence may be the problem. You need to deal with that.
2) Eat as much as you like and do not weigh yorself. Between meals eat stick s of raw carrot, sweet potato, celery, cherry toms, avocado etc. Dont have a goal, just eat right, keep exercising and drink water before each meal. You'll feel healthier and more self confident, even if it takes 6 months.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
" The problem is I have no job at the moment so that is the only exercise and activity I really have."

Which means you have a ton of free time. Get a hobby.
|

replied February 11th, 2010
stop worrying about your weight. i am 5'6" and weigh 230. so i think that is a weight problem. your complaining about something that doesn"t really matter. there are people who just suffered an earthquake and are trapped under rubble. since you don"t work donate your time to help somebody else and at the same time you will feel better about yourself.
|

replied May 9th, 2010
weight doesent realy matter thats true its more of a health issue. i too feel fat and hate going out in public i feel everyone is judging me. what i find helps is to look around, everyone is fat and nobody really is looking at me judging, its all in my head. try to look at it as a mind set. hopefully this will help you, same goes for any insecurity truth be told, the worst and hardest judge is yourself,
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2010
Retrochick,

It's true there are different kinds of suffering all over the place, but this person is suffering too. The reality of an ED is it is NOT about the weight, it's about the relentless suffering in the mind -- every minute of every day.

MG123 - GET HELP NOW. I used to be like you, and yes, exercise and eating less worked...for a time. Eventually your body will become so used to the lowered intake that it will adjust your metabolism, so that a binge makes you gain weight. I went from 110 pounds to 220 pounds because of this. Don't do it to yourself. You deserve more.
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2010
Community Volunteer
IMO, it is about your thinking...Accepting yourself for all that you are and not what you think you should be and what other people expect of you...Once you have conquered this uphill battle, you are on the right track to fighting yourself....I am not saying winning as this is a lifetime battle, but on the right road for life...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied January 29th, 2011
I feel fat too. I am 5.3 and weight 138. I wished I'd weight 116, but because I'm 45 years old, I know I'd look bad, mostly because as you age, you hold on to fat more and lose muscle, so I'd be happy weighing 125 lbs. In the mean time, I feel fat. A lot of people tell me I look fine. Mostly people who weight more than me. Honestly, I know I don't look that bad (compared to bigger people), but compared to smaller people I know I don't look that great. I have my days where how fat I might be doesn't matter. I feel confident that I'll get to where I want to be, eventually and in the mean time is not that bad, but then there are days like today, where I don't want to go out because I saw myself in a bathroom mirror that made me look bigger and I just can't get it off my mind. I used to binge and I still over do it sometimes, but not as before. I think the binging is what makes you feel out control.
|

replied February 1st, 2011
I share your feelings and apparent loss of self confidence because you look big in your own eyes. Smile i can help you overcome this complex and loose fat if you wish.

I will give you free consultation and follow up until you rebound back to that person you ever wanted to be. Good luck
|

replied April 30th, 2011
Hang In There
Hate it when someone says 'you look well'....no one has an idea how it feels for each person. One has to look inside and deal with self acceptance, self love ....yet it seems so much easier to focus on weight than the real painful issues inside.

I just had a good cry, let it all out as I am feeling so fat and wobbly today....I know its in my head but it still hurts. I feel so much better for having expressed that feeling.

Thank you all for listening Smile
|

replied June 8th, 2011
Am I anorexic?
Hi,

I know kind of what you're going through. I just recently had a bad break up and am super stressed with school, everything has just blown up in my face. And well, I seem to have lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. I am now obsessing over every single piece of food, pound and roll of flab (even though I am slim 55'6 and 125lbs). All my friends and family tell me to eat more but I just can't. I cannot stand the feeling of fullness or any flab on my hips. It is an obsession now, and I have never looked in the mirror and felt fat but now all I see is rolls, when really it's just muscle! I dont' know what has happened to my brain.
|

replied May 16th, 2012
i hate myself and i feel like a huge pig
i am a guy, 6'2", 185 lbs, vegan and all of a sudden my disorder came back, after being gone for a few years. every day,now, after i eat, i feel like a pig, my stomach feels like it's just growing bigger, i am wearing larger clothes to hide myself, i won't look in a mirror, i lie in bed most of the time i'm home, i don't want to go out to meet people, friends, i feel i am too fat for that. i know it's wrong to feel this way and i try to overcome the feeling, understanding it's all in my head, however, it is there, like a large black cloud looming over my head. i try not to let anyone know, so, my friends just think i'm being anti-social because i don't care to be around them anymore. i tell them that it's not the case, without offering the truth (which would just sound like a lie to them anyway), so, i'm stuck, a cow lying in bed, out to pasture. what help is there for this psychological madness. even as i write this i am totally aware of my stomach. i have abandoned my regular gym routine, kickboxing, spin and pilates because i feel too fat to go. i'm sick, i know it, however, i don't know how to fix it. help!
|