Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Swollen Eyelids

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
:cry:
i've been experiencing this for the past year or so. Off and on. My eyelids are extremely itchy and tend to swell up when i'm sleeping. I'll wake up with swollen eyelids. Usually for the rest of the day i'm fine there not swollen only when I wake up in the morning. There also red and it usually gets worse in the summer. I want to say that its allergies but I haven't had any other symptons if they were allergies. Can someone please help me? I wake up extra early every morning to put ice on my eyes so the swelling can go down. I've had enough. I've read some other posts on this site and I believe their some other people who have had similar conditions, but not exactly the same. I would really like to know the cause and solution if there is any. A year is a very long time if you have swollen eyelids. :(
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 16th, 2008
I have the same thing going on!!!
Confused Yep, I was wanting to see if you had heard anything yet or found out what this is. I go to sleep fine, wake up and my eyelids are swollen, sometimes one, or the other, sometimes both.. Then later they go back to normal. And then they are so extremely itchy... a lot of the time. I wondered about allergies, and that maybe my lotion or make up...

Nothing gets rid of it. Please let me know if you can share anything with me. Everyone thinks I am crazy!!

Good luck and I will share with you also.
|

replied April 17th, 2008
someone who understands.
Well, I wish I can say that I've found some new information, but no. I did however go to the allergist and I took a skin test, where they test all different kinds of common allergies from pollen to dust and even foods. Nothing! I was allergic to absolutely nothing. I'm becoming concerned again because the weather is warming up and summer is just around the corner. When I went to the dermatologist awhile back he did prescribe to me an ointment which I use everytime this occurs and it works except I'm walking around with oily eyelids all day long. I have to go home and get the name, but I'll def make another post with the name. I don't think its makeup either, because when I went to the dermatologist he told me not to wear eye makeup for 3 weeks or so and I still had the same symptons and because its seasonal it makes sense that it's not makeup. But I think for now the only thing I can say is don't rub your eyes, put vicks or hydrocortisone on it just be careful not to get it in your eye, cause the more you rub the more swollen it gets in the morning.
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
Swollen eye lids
My mum has this too,or something very similar. She has had red, swollen, flakey skin all around her eyes for the past 2 years. Although there are times where the eyes arn't swollen, they have never really recovered since it first started happening. Doctors just say its allergies because she does have bad hay fever and also allergic to pets. But our animals have been banished from the house for some time time now and she has no contact with them, yet her eyes recently have been the worst i've ever seen them. She misses her old eyelids and would like to understand what is causing this to happen. Please, anyone if you have any suggestions let us know.
|

replied March 27th, 2011
Swollen eyelids
Your Mom probabaly has eczmzema. It starts off as a red itchy spot or area then the skin flakes off.

I have the swollen eyelid problem. I wear make up all day and I'm fine, then I go to sleep and when I wake up my eyelids (mainly the area where my eyelashes meet) are huge and my eyes feel heavy and sleepy. They do go down after a couple of hours sometimes other times they are really bad and I can't put any make up on for work. It's really cramping my style. The doctors told me the same thing. Use hydrocortizol cream and stop wearing make up for a few days then slowly start adding it back to find out what I'm "allergic" too. I'm 99% sure I'm not allergic to anything. A couple of times I also got a small patch of eczema on my eyelid but that hasn't happend as often as the swelling.
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
Possible Diagnosis
I've been suffering from the same thing, my doctor told me its something called blepheritis. Guess it has something to do with a skin disorder. I have been using warm compresses every morning and washing my eye lids with baby shampoo, but my eye still remains the same. They said it would help but I don't see a difference.
|

replied September 21st, 2009
There is a very good chance you may be suffering from a delayed food allergy. I experienced the exact same thing, for two or three days consecutively I would wake up in the morning with TERRIBLY swollen eyelids that progressively reduced in size over the course of the day that itched and from time to time would turn pink without me even scratching them. Turns out that at 22 years old, I had developed a wheat allergy for the first time in my life. So, the day after I would eat large amounts or certain types of wheat products my eyelids would swell and itch for about 72 hours, then go back to normal again, then flare up again days later simply based off of what I was eating. A Bloodspot IG food antibody test should be able to help you better pinpoint what your food allergen may be. Eliminating the food affecting you from your diet for 3-6 months will ususally reverse the allergens effect on your body and you will be able to reintroduce the food into your diet at that time.
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
swelling
i know this is one of those delayed replies...but i just so happened to catch this and wanted to help. This is for anybody experiencing this. First, from what it sounds like is blepharitis (props to Jim123). Baby Shampoo does help but not your best option. Sterilid (it's a foam) clean your lids with it before bed and every morning it will keep the pours clean and help with the swelling. Warm Compresses also will help with the swelling, you'll see better results with a mixture of the two. If i can be of any further assistance to anybody please let me know.

-- exeyeguy
|
Users who thank exeyeguy for this post: calihug 

replied April 5th, 2010
i have been having the exact same thing!
Except since the on and off morning eye swellings have started, one of my eyelids has tucked itself under my eye socket. I find this to be every unusally, so basically it looks like i have one eyelid.... i have tried every ointment and cream, im thinking i might visit the doctor, if you have the same thing, let me know?
|

replied April 5th, 2010
my eye is wack. :/
i have been having the exact same thing!
Except since the on and off morning eye swellings have started, one of my eyelids has tucked itself under my eye socket. I find this to be every unusally, so basically it looks like i have one eyelid.... i have tried every ointment and cream, im thinking i might visit the doctor, if you have the same thing, let me know?
|

replied January 28th, 2011
Swollen eyes/Allergy like symptoms
For all the people with horrible allergy-like problems and no allergies.... After having hideous sinus problems all my life, I was finally diagnosed. Chronic environmental rhinitis. All the symptoms without the allergy. They really don't understand much about it. The only thing I've found helps is Claritin-D daily. I also had turbinate reduction sinus surgery. It was getting more and more difficult to breathe.
|

replied July 26th, 2011
'Blepharitis'
Here lately I have been waking up with swollen eyes. First it started off with a little wrinkle, then slowly progressed to the bottom eyelid being swollen.. and then, it got to the point where I would wake up and not even HAVE any eyelids.. (they were that swollen). Swollen eyelids is called Blepharitis. Anything ending in 'itis' is inflammation.
I went to the doctor and OF COURSE, nothing is wrong. It's simply 'allergies'. Oh, allergies, eh? That's a good excuse to get me out of your doctor office fast doc, Good one. Wink Any half brained genius can look at pink and swollen eyes and guess that one. -.-
The best way I can describe this condition is by saying that your eyes are-- pink, itchy, swollen, crusty/flaky, and of course swollen. (Yes, I know I said it twice Wink )
What I decided to do, since everyone in these 'Blepharitis' forums were saying that baby shampoo works miracles, was to go to Wal-Mart and of course buy some baby shampoo and ... some eye drops just for the hell of it, because my doctor perscribed me $125 dollar eye drops which is a bit overpriced! Very Happy
Lmao, Well I honestly have to say that the baby shampoo in fact DOES work miracles. I used it two or three times yesterday along with the eyedrops, woke up this morning and my eyes were not nearly as swollen as they have been!
So, I hope I have helped. I wish you all luck with your life long present you've been granted with.

Toodles
xo
|

replied September 7th, 2011
Ictching and redness of eyelid
Try washing your face before going to sleep and after waking up, which should clean your face. Dont use soap or anything like that as it may over dry your face. Try not using creams around your eye lids and use just enough around other areas of your face if your face seems to be dry. Also, change the lotion or cream you use it on your face; use a much expensive lotion than less expensive ones as certain chemicals are irritating to your face. Wash your face after you get home from outside with water. Would love to know what works for you. Good day.
|

replied October 14th, 2014
I have the exact same problem, What I do is take two pieces of tissue dampen them with water put one piece on each eye when you go to sleep this helps keep them from swelling up and prevents some of the dryness and flakes,I probably sleep half the night with them on it is soothing. I also wash with tea tree body wash and shampoo because I also have itchy, dry scalp. I use Lumene for dry skin cocktail on my eyes. Good luck I hope this helps someone by far I know it sounds nutty but the tissue paper with water on my eyes when I sleep gave me alot of relief.
|