Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Chlamydia - So Much Information On the Internet............ (Page 1)

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
There is so much information on the internet about chlamydia, it's hard to know what advice/information to believe.

After the usual symptoms, I was tested 3 days ago for chlamydia, put on doxycycline 100mg twice daily for 7 days, and got the test results today.
Positive!
Thankfully I am feeling much better now, but still not at 100%.

I have been in my current relationship for 8 months now, and have not been with any other partners during that time. My girlfriend also states that she has had no sexual encounters since we started seeing each other.

I talked to my girlfriend about this the day I went to the doctor, both before I went and after. We initially thought it was a uti until I had seen the doctor.
She was tested for this in february with her annual exam and was negative then. She visited her doctor today and was tested again, also receiving a course of medication just in case. We are waiting now for her results.

The question of infidelity always rears it's head in situations such as this, but the information out there, and from doctors, is contradicting at the best of times.

1. How likely is it that she could have been tested in february and had a false negative?
2. Can chlamydia lay dormant, produce negative test results, but still be passed on?
3. How long can chlamydia remain dormant before surfacing as an acute infection?
4. Could it be possible that I had chlamydia before we met 8 months ago and it only showed symptoms now? If so, I would have thought that after 7 months of unprotected, and very frequent sex, that she would have had a positive result in her february check up.

I have seen everything from symptoms will show in 1-3 weeks after exposure, to chlamydia laying dormant for many years.
The information on medication and treatment can also differ greatly, but from what I see, I have been put on one of the most frequently prescribed treatments.

Any help, and accurate information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tidalcreek
|

replied April 27th, 2006
I don't have any answers, but I am in a very similar situation. When my boyfriend and I first became sexually active (without protection) I went in to be tested for chlamydia/other stds and everything came back negative.

Recently I went in for an exam because I thought I had a bacterial infection. While I was there I got re-tested, just to be on the safe side. When they told me I did in fact have a bacterial infection I didn't worry about the test results.

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail stating I am postive for chlamdyia and need to be treated. I consulted with my partner and he insists he has not been unfaithful. Of course I am apprehensive and need to know if he could have had it when we met and not given it to me until later.
|

replied April 8th, 2011
It's very difficult to find right answers to your questions...
You have to use your intuition and logical thinking when you are looking for informations about chlamydia.
|

replied July 22nd, 2012
Hi unfortunately I don't have much info!!but last week I was diagnosed with chlamydia,total shock tbh!!I've been,with my man for two years!!and I 100% believe he's been faithful!and I know I have!I think u have to trust it instinct and how well u know ur partner!! I have read on line the infection can ley dormant for years!!neither of us had any symptoms but recently I started working and I was so tired!and then started having a lot of painless and odourless discharge so went gp for a check up!and found out it was this!!my partner has not been tested but we have both been treated!! We have had this for two years or longer and I think the only reason I showed a symptoms is because I was tired and run down!It don't matter if I infected him or he infected me!neither of us have cheated or knew we had it so one of our ex partners have passed it on!I just want us to be free of clamidyia and find out what damage has been done as we want another baby and because we have had it so long I'm terrified I'll now be infertile!!I'm shocked at how little info I've been given I left gps in tears confused with a prescription and a phone number for a gum clinic that is it!!
|

replied April 27th, 2006
I did a lot of digging and information is very sketchy, but apparently it can lay dormant for many years, and sometimes display symptoms so mild you do not think it is anything.

We were both tested, and as far as I know (not knowing exactly what the doctor told her on the phone) she was negative, but as per the norm she received treatment also.

I took the line of trust this time and it's a dead subject with us.

Trust may not be the best choice for you...........I do not know your situation or circumstances, but I would still be cautious as I was and do everything you can to make sure you are being told the truth.
|

replied June 3rd, 2006
I had claymidia, and even though it lays dorment, you would still test positive. Symptoms appear when you first contract the disease, so when you realized something was wrong, you probally just got sick.
Your girlfriend is probally lieing to you. I know its hard to hear but you will never know what her doctor told her and since she was also treated she gets away free and clear leaving you wondering if you had it that long. Symptoms dont show when the disease but the test will
|

replied July 26th, 2006
I was tested a year ago, tested neg. I've been with my bf for a year and four monthes. My cervix is inflammed and the Dr. Wants to give me another chlamydia test. I'm positive neither of us cheated. But she did tell me that it can lay dormant for that long. So it is still possible, now, I dont know if she was just trying not to say "hey he still could have cheated, lets check to be sure" or what. But i'm more than positive he didnt cheat and neither did i.
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
I need some answers. I have been with my bf for over 4 years. I recently had my annual pap because I was in the process of getting my tubes tied, and everything came back negative. My bf told me that I needed to get tested because he tested positive for chlamydia. I am hurt because even though I know that it can lie dormant for some years, it would still show up positive if you are tested for it. I have a 3 year old daughter, and I know that if I would have had it, then, it would have been passed on to her when she came out of the birth canal. So I don't know what to do or what to believe. Someone please help me out with some answers.
|

replied January 24th, 2009
not understanding!!!
i am in a similar situation! i havent cheated on my boyfriend but i have lied to him. right before him and i met, 2 1/2 months ago i was raped. i didnt tell anyone because i didnt want the pity and drama that comes along with it, not to mention i didnt even know the guys name or anything so i didnt report it. i just wanted to go about my life. i havent had any symptoms and i had one test done within a week of it happening. now after being with ONLY my boyfriend since we have been together, 1 1/2 months, he has tested positive for chlamydia and he hasnt been with anyone besides me and his ex girlfriend int he past 3 months. i am so embarrased and ashamed but i dont knwo what to do. and i hate to admit to him that i was raped. i really dont want him to know, but i finally told him today after lieing to him when we first met about it. i had fractured my hand fighting the guy and when i first met my man i told him i got in a fight with a friend. i mean seriously, who wants a guy you just met to know something like that about you. its really more of a oh please pity me and feel sorry for me kinda thing if you do say something, and i totally hat that stuff. so now im freakin out cuz i tested negative and he has tested positive and i just dont know how to deal with this. i am a good girl, who did a few stupid things in my life and it seem slike now i am paying for it. is anyone else terrified that they have HIV or something now??? i am so freaked out and i dont know where to turn or who to talk to. i feel so alone and i have no one. what do i do???
|

replied March 6th, 2009
re:chlymidia
Please can you tell me ive been to the gum clinic today having been tested positive for chlymidia.Me and my partner went in last week and was both tested,mines come back positive and my partners hasnt.Iam male my partner is obviously female.I have not cheated nor do i think she as.Please could you please tell me what the chances off this happining is.We are in a relationship and both very sexually active i just cant understand why ive been tested positive for it she hasnt. Have you got any solutions which may off caused this ,your help would be greatly appreciated thankyou.
|

replied March 14th, 2009
chlymida
I got a smear done before christmas it came bak i had bacterial V , but my smear was fine.then 1 month later i was asked to to contact my doctor and she told me a test came back sayin i had chlymida. i am with my b/f 5 years n never have i been unfaithful . after questionin my b/f he finally admited to havin a one nite stand went he was away 2years ago. after convincing him he gave me the std he went an got all the tests he could . everything was clear the doctoe said he didnt have chlymida??? how can this be possible.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
chlamydia
phylis, I'm not sure how that could be either. But I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it could be b/c of the ping pong effect. Which is when one partner has something and gives it to the other partner and then that partner gives it back to you again. If he gave it to you though I would have thought for sure that he would have tested positive. Unless he got treated without you knowing and just let you think he was still clean.
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2009
ahhhh
ive been with my boyfriend since december, and we've been having unpertected sex, i hadnt had any symptoms, but i thought i was getting a bacterial infection because i had one 7 months before. so i went in for a pap on april 30th and they tested me for chlamydia, today they called me told me i tested positive. we both stated today that we both havent cheated, so we dont know how either of us got it. im wanting to know how long it is before chlamydia takes over your reproductive system, becuase im really nervous ):
|

replied May 29th, 2009
chlamydia
I had chlamydia over 10 years ago, i had it treated but vomitted violently through the whole treatment. Now, i've been with my boyfriend 8 years and had 2 children. i got tested in 2000 and 2007 and both came back negative. I had symptoms recently and today the doc said I had it again - is it possible my being sick through my medication 10 years ago meant it wasn't treated properly and somehow the 2 test since then were false negatives? I have never doubted my partner before and he swears he hasn't cheated so i wanted to know if it is at all possible I have had it all these years and previous tests haven't detected it?
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
Chlamydia medication
When taking the medication for treatment of Chlamyida, DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL! This is extremely important because it will make you vomit. The medication is also used for alcoholics to stop them from drinking!
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
didn't drink while on medication
I didn't drink while on this as I felt so rough and know the side effects of mixing medicine with alcohol. I wasn't much of a drinker back then or now really. also there is the possibility that my ex slept around again after I got treated as like a fool I stayed with him a whole year.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
i was tested two weeks ago a test came back negative for chlamydia.. than i got tested again a few days ago.. it came back positive.. i asked my doctor about this and she said it can take 2-8 weeks before it even comes up in the tests..
|

replied August 9th, 2009
Chlamydia can lie dormant. I believe your health and your relationshiip are both important, but don't judge your boyfriend or your girlfriend before taking care of your health. Get well. Abstain from sex until you are completly well, and after you have dealt with your health, deal with your relationship.
|

replied August 9th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
caelant
Chlamydia isn't very tricky. It seats pretty quickly and is contagious even when symptoms present. Viruses can lay dormant and re-emerge. Symptoms can take an atypically long time to show. However a doctor looking for a virus they know is in a person is much less likely to miss it than a doctor looking for possible diseases in a screening. I think it's much more likely your girlfriend was unknowingly the carrier.
|

replied August 30th, 2009
Diagnosed with Chlamydia and was put on Doxycyclene for 7 days...Day 5 on meds nad still not having any relief! How long before symptoms subside?
|

replied October 7th, 2009
Chlamydia dilema
Im in a very similar situation. Me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years and he just tested positive for chlamydia. he swears he hasn't cheated and says he must've had it before he met me. But during the first year i got myself tested 4 times and i tested negative for all STD's. I know i haven't cheated and he's never given me any reason to doubt him. The doctor said it could've been dormant in him. can this truly happen or is it just an 'excuse'?
|

replied October 7th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
STDs aren't magical proof of infidelity. Not only can they lay dormant for long periods of time but they can be contracted in a wide variety of ways.
|