Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Bowel Problems Post Hyst (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I had a partial hysterectomy on 3/16/2006 still have my cervix and ovaries but, have have a urinary infection, bacterial infection and my bowels do not move without using something. Eating solid food is sometimes is a joke a couple hours after eating my left side hurts. Have told doctors have had numerous ct scans and barium scans all what they consider normal(small pockets of fluid in bowels one left side one right side). I'm beginning to think this was the worst decision of my life. At this point I really don't want any more surgery. Has anyone else ever had this many problems? I'm only 42 i'd kinda of like to enjoy my life again. I'm getting tired of the endless doctors visists and tests and nothing seems to be working to make me feel better.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Prtyeyes
|

replied April 5th, 2006
Re: Bowel Probs Post Hysterectomy
Hi there, sorry to hear about your problems. I understand I had a subtotal hysterectomy almost 4 years ago and I to have constant stomache pains(bowel) almost every day, sometimes I can feel my stomache ready to play up when im cooking my meals. Everytime I get test's done the results come back normal. It is totally frustrating isnt it.Im 26. All I can say it that I hope we finally get some answers. Good luck :)
|

replied April 27th, 2006
Po Hysterectomy Bowel Problems
I can relate in the opposite direction. I now have bm all of the time compared to having to carefully monitor diet pre-op. I also have frequency to urinate, fever, infection according to blood work, severe pain , and the docs don't give a honest eal second glance. Pile that with having to move, go through separation , raise two boys, was discharged after only 24hrs, and no one to help. Keep me posted. I thought this was just the way it is. I wish all of us luck, in and of the fact all I ever heard was,"oh you should have a hyesterectomy, it's the bes thing that will happen for you!" I sure hope not :(
|

replied February 8th, 2008
Just wondering if anyone can help me...???
I just underwent a hysterectomy4 days ago (Feb.4,2008) I am having extreme abdomal pain and I ahve been unable to have a bowl movement since the day before surgery... I have since drank an oral fleet and all that kinda stuff and I ws wondering what could be happening and what will happen inside if I dont have one soon? The pain is really bad and I have a hard lump feeling in my stomach but I cant go. What can happen to my bowels if I dont go? I am on antibotics already cause they think I ham getting an infection in my incision. Could anyone let me know if they have had these kinda problems too...? I am get a little worried. Thanks, and hope to here from someone soon.
(email removed by tinkinpink84) Can Private message this person by clicking the user name and click send message!
|

replied August 13th, 2011
After getting a partial hysterectomy you need to use over the counter soft gels. Do not us a laxative because it will cause more cramping. It's going to take sometime to get your bowels working again because everything is moving around to fill up that empty space. I had mine done 8-2-2011 and was off pain pills in 4 days. You are going to experience cramping for awhile because I still do it's only because everything is adjusting inside to fill the empty space where your Fallopian tubes and uterus was. Also sitting up a lot will cause cramping. When you start to feel pain in your abdomen you need to go lay down. I hope this helped you all.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Probs with bowels
I have to agree with the person who said that they are the opposite. I had partial, and later found that I had endometriosis removed from behind the uterus as well.

Docs dont give an eel as you mentioned. I have frequent bowel movements, and sometimes i get to the point of not being able to control them. It frightens me.
I have been treated now twice for urinary infections. First i was put on flagyl and cipro, now just cipro. So i dont know whats going on.

Its been 7 weeks since my partial vag. The docs discourage me, and say I should be back at work. I feel like Hell, and dont think I can manage going back to work, where i am the activity person for 32 alzheimer's patients. It just doesnt make sense.

I agree some docs, just fluff it off. My surgeon, shook my hand, and let me out of his room, after i disclosed probs with my bowels. He said surgery and the bowels are not connected. YA RIGHT. oh, and because i abused laxatives over 10 years ago, that is on my chart, and of course that is another reason why I wont be considered serious regarding these concerns.
|

replied September 4th, 2008
frequent bowel after hysterectomy
I had my partical hysterectomy on Aug. 6, 2008. Before surgery, I had a bowel movement once every 2 days, now I go to the bathroom five times a day. I did have ileus after my surgery, a condition where your bowels stop functioning temporarily due to the handling of the bowels during surgery. And I developed an infection. I just told my doctor today about my frequent bowels and she just told me to eat more bulk. I also have stomach bloating and lots of gas. This sounds like a frequent side effect among women who have hysterectomies but I didn't hear about it beforehand. I don't every want to have surgery again ... unless it's lifesaving. I had this surgery because my periods were never-ending. Now it seems I have never-ending bowel movements. Go figure!
|

replied September 30th, 2008
Supporter
trouble with bowels
I have trouble with both peeing and having a BM have to cath myself at least 2 times a week and I take 2 rx laxitives a day and only mgo once maybe twice if lucky. After my hysterectomy I could not have a bm they tried liquid drink they tried enema's the normal and then deep ones and nothing and 15 days post op had a day of bm and then back to nothing and that is how it has been since had hysterectomy nov 15 2007. I had adnomyotis (endo inside uterus) also had endo
outside uterus and was toldhad to peel my uterus off my bowel and bladder.
i am sick and inpain all the time, the doc's seem to not care even the female
ones and i think they are worse than a male gynie.
i am only 34 \and have 3 kids who see their mom throughing up every day as
the anti nausea med dose not work so well any more.
oh well we women have to keep going as we have no choice but too.
|

replied July 2nd, 2011
I have the same problem after a hysterectomy
What wad the end result for you? I had my bladder adhered also, so the doctor had to work to cut it away. I stayed longer in the hospital due to the catheter and almost went home with one. I only have BM's every 4 days or so and that is after taking laxatives a few times per day. I am at almost 3 weeks in from my surgery. I feel like my bladder dropped on my intestine or something. My doctor can't get me in for 5 days. Just wondering how things worked out for you.
|

replied July 2nd, 2011
What wad the end result for you? I had my bladder adhered also, so the doctor had to work to cut it away. I stayed longer in the hospital due to the catheter and almost went home with one. I only have BM's every 4 days or so and that is after taking laxatives a few times per day. I am at almost 3 weeks in from my surgery. I feel like my bladder dropped on my intestine or something. My doctor can't get me in for 5 days. Just wondering how things worked out for you.
|

replied January 7th, 2009
bowels & hysterectomy
Now I know I'm not losing my mind. I had a hysterectomy on 8.18.08 and have had problems with bowels (sometimes feel like they are coming out my vagigi). I hurt up under my ribs and my dr. thinks irritable bowel. Never had this happen prior to hysterectomy, please tell me it's going to go away!
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
Wish I could tell you it will but unfortunately I have the same problem along with headaches and nausea everyday it seems. I don't know whats worse having my period with constant pains and bloating almost everyday or this????
|

replied January 26th, 2009
abdominal hysterectomy ibs
I had a total vaginal hysterectomy 12/30/2008. i feel great except for
my bowels. i am 48 years old and had ibs in my twenties (going through
a divorc, school, work, etc). now after my hyster i am having these
extreme pains again, especially after eating or in the early morning. passing
gas or having a bm, i am alot better but before the pain can be extreme.
i have lost about 6 lbs because i cannot eat. right now i'll take the
weight loss but how long will this last?
|

replied January 26th, 2009
Community Volunteer
It really takes a while for you to feel good after this surgery...So many of the internal organs are affected...I would just continue to take it easy...It has only been four weeks...If the problem persists, talk to your doctor about it...Eat more of the bland foods and be careful that you don't irritate your stomach...

In the end, you will feel great....

Take care,
Caroline
|

replied March 18th, 2009
I feel you Cornee3
I just had a total vaginal hysterectomy on 2/23/09. B4 surgery I was put on a clear liquid diet the day b4 surgery along with a full bottle of magnesium citrate to clean out my bowels. After surgery I had not been about to move my bowels for 4 days. My doc told me to take Colace and eat high fiber foods such fruits and vegs. I began eating oatmeal for breakfast and made some homemade oatmeal cookies with raisins. I also added Cream of Wheat, Wheaties, Wheat Chex, anything except prunes to my diet. It worked to move my bowels but when I stopped eating these foods or some portion of these on a regular basis, I found that got constipated and the movements were again up to 4 days b4 I could go. In addition to eating more high fiber foods my doc also told me to NOT by any means take a laxative because it produces gas pains and you don't want that so close to having surgery. After 3 weeks out of surgery, I went back to the doc yesterday and she told me if I'm still having bowels problems, which I am because I don't eat the oatmeal and raisins every day, she told me to start taking Peri Colace which is a faster acting stool softner than the regular Colace. Perhaps you should try this. I know I couldn't stand the abdominal pains from gas after surgery, I knew I wasn't going to subject myself to more gas pains by using a laxative. Hope this helps.
|

replied March 28th, 2009
i have had my uterus and cervix removed and im getting ready to have my left ovary removed.i haved suffered with bowel probs such as not being able to go for days and then not being able to stop going.it is always painful and my stomach is always cramping.i thought i had tried everything and then i tried PHILLIPS COLON HEALTH PROBIOTIC it has really helped regulate me i strongly recommend it.you can buy it over the counter.
|

replied April 25th, 2010
complications post hysterectomy
I had a partial hysterectomy 4 mos later another to take out my ovaries. i have extreme pain in the morning and after I eat. It takes at least 10 mins sitting on the bowl to get my bladder to start to empty. The when I stand I continue to urinate. After a hysterectomy I found out AFTER! your organs move around to fill the empty space. No doctors can give me an answer. I would have never had the surgery if I was told and informed of all the complications that follow. I am starting to feel that this is just the beginning of a stream of problems. It has been almost two years since the first surgery and I am very healthy but can''t undo the surgery and the complications that it gives you. Spread the word Hysterectomy is not the answer there are alternatives i only wish I had a docter that knew of them.
|

replied April 29th, 2010
I was 29 when i had my Hysterectomy, I had to have the surgery, there was no other option, but I have had bowel issues since then (2years ago). I have diarrhea 3-4 times a day. I am a runner and eat very healthy, I cut out ALL dairy and take probiotics everyday to help and drink about 80-90oz of water, but just about every food hurts my stomach. I am so grateful to have found this site, it helps to know I am not the only one to have this side effect. I will just keep dealing the best I can, it''s better than the health problems I was having before the hysterectomy.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Research Please
Please for those who are going to have a Hysterectomy. I have postponed mine as a result of finding this organization. I had post meno bleeding and carcinoma on my uterine fluid. I will seek other options.
|

replied June 15th, 2010
I had a total hysterectomy in march 2010.(heavy bleeder with endemetriosis.)2 weeks after surgery started having deep pain right above my vagina. it was very uncomfortable to sit or lie down. standing felt better. urinating was slightly painful and bm were irregular. just thought it was normal pain. 3 weeks post op called and talked to nurse, was given more pain meds and had ua. ua normal. at 7 week post op check was having good pain free days and some bad days. ob dr told me upon palpation that it was my bladder that was the pain problem, because i didnt have a uterus any more. reffered me to urologist. had a cystoscopy(scope up to inside of bladder)all seems normal but he told me i could have interstitial cystitis. dont have all the symptoms, could take meds for 3 months to see if that helps, side effect=hair loss. No thanks! always have had touchy bowels, thought due to endemetriosis. going to start probiotics, eat better and wait a little bit. i dont think the medical feild has an answer that is generic to all. we are all individual and we know our bodies and we know that we now feel different. we need to find a dr to say i dont know what exactly your problem is but together we can find an answer, not just pop-poo our complaints or pass them on to someone else.
|

replied September 11th, 2010
will a total hysterectomy send me into major menopause?
TIRED AND REALLYAFRAID!!!!

This is really Ironic to me I am amazed and overwelmed at the same time with almost every comment I have read it is as if most of you are talking about my life, I had a partial hyst back in 1986 uterus removed because of fibroid tumors and severe pain after surgery I began experiencing bowel problems simular to most of your stories here, I was diagnosed with (IBS- Irrital bowel syndrom)placed on meds for that , a couple years later I had my right ovary removed due to syst on ovary I also had a syst on the left ovary but was too young the doc didnot want me to have to be on hormone therapy so she decided to leave the left ovary in, I yet continued experiencing the same bowel problems and more. Tuesday 7th,2010 I had a gyn appt and explained problems to the dr I have now been set up for surgery to remove the left ovary on October 18th 2010, I am very uncomfortable and really afraid with this dicision Im ON COUMADIN blood thinner for clots in my legs still in constant pain and have been for years even after the first sergury I had been given the Lupron shot about a month ago and was told it would send me into menopause and must admit it did that. I have been experiencing hot flashes big time since the shot I told the dr that I did not want to continue the shots because the side affects were not good and the pain never stopped which is the main reason for the shots Im now wondering if I have the ovary removed am I going to experience permanant hot flashes as well as the pain and possibly more things I am really seeking for an answer before the 28th of September when I return to the Dr office for preop to sign consents for the surgery do anyone have a suggestion, not to mention the Dr found some one else records in my chart which was pregnant. I would love to b able to get a second opinion but I have no insurance only thru the county hospital I am forced to go to but I am tired of being expermented on and dont want to be used as a genny pig any more. Im really afraid of any mistakes being made. PLEASE HELP!!!
|

replied September 18th, 2010
Hard call
When you say pain after the shot, pain where? I am in the same position, had Uterus and Cervix removed 4 yrs ago and have had bowel problems ever since, chronic diarrea then constipation. Pain, bloating, gas. Had colomoscopy three weeks ago and found a small carcinoid so went back in for flexible sigmoidscope to remove total carcinoid. Got told its gone but now have 4cm cyst on right ovary filled with blood? Left side is exstremely painful right through to my back and no one can tell me why? Had ct and ultrasound. My gallbladder did show small calculi stones. I am following up with Dr Friday but to have the ovaries removed or not? Hard choose. I wish I could have a fairy to tell me if it will take my pain away and make me better or worse? But yes I absolutely blame the hysorectomy for my bowel issues and its getting worse not better
|

replied September 21st, 2010
had hysterectomy in sept 2008 i have had this bowl problem ever since doctors never tried to figure it out so i have searched the internet and now finding out its all from my hysterectomy. WOW i have a dr apt this friday and printed info out from alot sites about this i can't believe i have to do the work for them.. went to the hospital in april 2010 for the same pain i had before the hysterectomy on the same side they did a ct scan and saw a large amount of stool in my left colon but they didn't figure it out either.so again now i'm taking this all to my md and be reffered again i will post what i hear back...i have been using exlax everyday just to go i have tried everything yall have written..tc missy
|

replied February 14th, 2012
I had a lap hysterectomy with the robot 2 weeks ago. I have had very little pain and was walking well after 6 days. I drove on the 10th day. My bowels are nor normal, though. I need to have a glycerine suppository to get anything to go. On a rare occasion, I go on my own. I am not feeling uncomfortable from the lack of BM's however there is a pain on my right side, on occasion. Someone in the hospital told me to eat bananas but not the water-based fruits. I ate all of the bananas at home and not the Clementines. My doctor talked to me a few days later and told me to eat the water based fruits. She said that the oranges and apples would be good. The apples have fiber which helps the bowels. The bananas are good for potassium, but won't really help the bowels. I like to drink milk, eat ice-cream and love yogurt. The dairies aren't helping with my bowels. I also love cheese. My family was bringing me meals without vegs on the plate. I asked them to put salad and hot veggies on the plate and it has helped a little. I tried to walk as soon as I was able to prevent blood clots and help with the bowels. My church friends were shocked to see me in church 12 days later. I will keep in touch with my doctor regarding the bowel problem. She said I can go back to work if I don't lift anything. I don't want to go back if the bowels aren't straightened out. I sub and don't want to have a huge, sudden BM in front of a High school class. I have a chance to also work in a doctor's office, so that may work out better. Good luck.
|

replied February 14th, 2012
I had a lap hysterectomy with the robot 2 weeks ago. I have had very little pain and was walking well after 6 days. I drove on the 10th day. My bowels are nor normal, though. I need to have a glycerine suppository to get anything to go. On a rare occasion, I go on my own. I am not feeling uncomfortable from the lack of BM's however there is a pain on my right side, on occasion. Someone in the hospital told me to eat bananas but not the water-based fruits. I ate all of the bananas at home and not the Clementines. My doctor talked to me a few days later and told me to eat the water based fruits. She said that the oranges and apples would be good. The apples have fiber which helps the bowels. The bananas are good for potassium, but won't really help the bowels. I like to drink milk, eat ice-cream and love yogurt. The dairies aren't helping with my bowels. I also love cheese. My family was bringing me meals without vegs on the plate. I asked them to put salad and hot veggies on the plate and it has helped a little. I tried to walk as soon as I was able to prevent blood clots and help with the bowels. My church friends were shocked to see me in church 12 days later. I will keep in touch with my doctor regarding the bowel problem. She said I can go back to work if I don't lift anything. I don't want to go back if the bowels aren't straightened out. I sub and don't want to have a huge, sudden BM in front of a High school class. I have a chance to also work in a doctor's office, so that may work out better. Good luck.
|

replied October 12th, 2010
partial hysterctomy
I had a partial hysterctomy in November of 06. Since that surgery, I have had over my fair shares of unrinary tract infections. I have them at least nine times a year. Went to a specialist, they do not see any problems. Now for the last two years, I have been having problems with my bowels. My left side experience excruciating pain that last for days. I have been having problelms with my hip, but it seems strange because the pain is extremely painful right before a bowel movement. I have went to the doctor and has been placed on every type of pill. I do not know what to do or expect from this pain. It seems like many of us have the same symptoms.
|
12 >>