Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Why is my face so thin? What can cause this?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
even though i sound heavy for my height, 5'-9.5", i don't appear as heavy as i am. i used to be physically active most of my life, weight training, some aerobics, still considered to have a muscular appearance, but i've become rather inactive last couple years. when i last weighed myself, i became alarmed, because i had thought i had lost weight instead of gaining weight. i am used to being about 180-183, but at 193 i thought i looked more like 175-178. my face has become sooooooooo thin the last year, but my abdomen is bigger. everywhere else, the weight seems to have stayed off, too. i'm very concerned that something is wrong, why would i be losing weight on my face? my face wasn't exactly fat or anything, but now people are starting to comment that i've lost weight (especially if they haven't seen me in awhile), when in fact i've gained a lot of weight?!?
i feel fine overall. had a preliminary checkup with my doctor, they did some blood work, general stuff, but the test for diabetes came back normal i guess, no concerns there.
can someone let me know why there's this shift in my weight, and why my face is thinning?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2006
General Q&A Answer A925
According to your age, sex, height and my calculations, your ideal weight is somewhere around 78 kg (172 lb). Perhaps your face appears thin because your abdomen is larger; the proportion between the head and the abdomen have changed. Additionally, you can check the level of the hormone cortisol in your bloodstream.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.