Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Bleeding After Hysterectomy (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
Hi..I am 39 years old and had a total hysterectomy approx. 4 weeks ago. Within the past week, I have woken up on two mornings with moderately heavy , bright red bleeding from my vagina. Each time that this has occurred I also had moderate pain in my lower right side...Occasionally it even hurt to touch that area. I contacted my physician the first time that this occurred, and she had me come into the office. Upon exam, she said that everything looked okay and she said that this can sometimes happen and not to worry about it. Easier said than done for me, as I just feel that something is not "right".
I would appreciate any response as to whether this is typical or not.
Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper aflsh
|

replied January 5th, 2004
My wife had a hysterectomy also about 3 weeks ago. Last night she had a simalr discharge. She is going to the doc today. So, I can post what he says to her if you want.
|

replied January 5th, 2004
Bleeding After Hysterectomy
Hi lonnie..Yes..I would appreciate hearing what your wifes doctor has to say about this.....The more people I talk to it seems, keep telling me that its not normal to bleed like this....I really want to trust my doctor, whom i've been associated with for nearly 15 years now., but, I also realize that things happen and I dont want to jeopardize my health by letting this continue should it really be something she is overlooking. Looking forward to hearng from you soon.
|

replied January 6th, 2004
Jakesmom,

the doc checked her over, and said that she is doing extremly well at this stage. He also said that the bleeding is normal.

Hope this helps.
|

replied January 21st, 2004
It Makes Me Think Too
Hiya there, im 42 and had a hystertomy, and some bleeding is normal after surjury,, you are down that road though,, you need another opinion please seek one.. I had a nightmare of a surjury, I was operated on twice, I am not trying to scare you, its just that, these days us women need to make sure whats going on. They have the best team of obgyn's in gainsville fla where I was transported, after having the nightmare surjury in a hick town, seriously though, please seek additional advice...
|

replied January 29th, 2004
So What Did Your Drs Say?
I also had a total hyst. 2 weeks before christmas. I was doing great until the day after x'mas. I started bleeding. I saw my dr a few days later and he suggested I take it easy. (i am pretty physically active, although I was not and have not done anything because I am afraid i'll never heal.)
I kept bleeding as soon as I got up from bed rest (2 or 3 days) the dr tried stopping the bleeding with silvernitrate(?Something) and even tried a tampon. These worked for 2 or 3 days each time.
A week ago he went back in and said he found a small tear and stitched it up. I started bleeding today! I get a burning sensation with cramps just before I start bleeding. My Dr. Is totally flumuxed.I see him again tomorrow.
If it were not for this bleeding I would be the happiest woman on earth. I feel 100%. I do not understand this bleeding.
Does anybody have any good news?
|

replied July 17th, 2011
Bleeding after my hysterectomy
It's been 2 & 1/2 weeks since my surgery. I was told never, never, never use a tampon or have sex or go swimming, bathing, or anything else that can cause an infection after your hysterectomy, and I didn't, I also have been very careful cleaning. I stopped bleeding for about a week & 1/2, then I started spotting again. I call the nurse at the drs office & she said that that was normal & to inform them if the bleeding is heavy or fowl smelling. It still bothers me that it started to bleed again. I'm worried that something might be wrong. I'm normally a very active women & being so sedentary is killing me. But I've been pretty good, I've only picked up one thing that was 25lbs when I had a senior moment. By the way it reminded me not to do that about two minutes after I picked the item up, I started to cramp. I don't know if that was the problem or if this is just normal.
|

replied November 29th, 2007
im 33 i had a hysterectomy 16th november its been 2weeks now and ever since i left hospital ive had very light bleeding and the odd dark red spotting ..they left my ovaries in also,,im getting pain when i wee..i phoned the hospital and they said just keep an eye on it but how long to i give it?? im walking and bending better each day just concerned about the spotting and where its coming from the whole point of my hysterectomy was to stop the bledding as i was n my period every 2weeks hence the operation,,if anyone has same symptoms could they advise me plz
|

replied December 9th, 2007
Beverley,
I too had a hysterectomy on November 14th. 3 1/2 weeks after, I am bleeding now too. I'm very concerned. I'm feeling better, but don't understand the bleeding either. I'm going to call my dr. later this morning, but it's Sunday and I'm not sure if I'll hear from her today. When I find out...I'll post what the dr. said.
|

replied December 24th, 2007
Bleeding
I had a total hysterectomy,Everything gone,and a sling put in my bladder. I dont understand this bleeding. If they taken everything and stitched everything shut,what is with the bleeding? I had my surgery a month ago. I was bleeding a little then but it seemed to lighten up. now it seems heavier. Before my surgery i had taken birth control which also made me bleed,so I quit them. Now I'm taking premarin for hormones ,I started them a week after surgery, and it seems the bleeding got worse. I wonder if I quit the hormones if the bleeding will go away.
|

replied January 3rd, 2008
What Is This Bleeding
I had a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. i started bleeding about 9 days ago. I went to see the dr and he put some cauterizing medicine up there to help stop it. It wont stop.
what horrible thing do I have to worry about now? this recovery is terrible.
|

replied January 3rd, 2008
What Is This Bleeding
I had a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. i started bleeding about 9 days ago. I went to see the dr and he put some cauterizing medicine up there to help stop it. It wont stop.
what horrible thing do I have to worry about now? this recovery is terrible.
|

replied January 28th, 2008
what is this bleeding
i had a hysterectomy on 01/16/2008...i have never stopped bleeding since i left the hospital...i didn't do the whole bed rest thing, i am a single mom of 3 children. i and i am planning to return to work today. but this constant bleeding is driving me insane. my doctor told me that it is not actually bleeding but discharge from the internal incisions. i will be calling her again today. i wish the best of luck to all of you...
|

replied January 28th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Re: what is this bleeding
lisamed1970 wrote:
i had a hysterectomy on 01/16/2008...i have never stopped bleeding since i left the hospital...i didn't do the whole bed rest thing, i am a single mom of 3 children. i and i am planning to return to work today. but this constant bleeding is driving me insane. my doctor told me that it is not actually bleeding but discharge from the internal incisions. i will be calling her again today. i wish the best of luck to all of you...

You are returning to work today? I wish you well!
|

replied January 29th, 2008
Hi everyone!
I had a DaVinci Hysterectomy on 12-13-07. I have read about all the bleeding and will tell you it all sounds normal. You should rest as much as possible and by your 6 week check up it will either be gone or almost gone. There is a website you can go to for more support called HysterSisters.com. I have been going there and getting a lot of my questions answered. This site is also a good resource. Good Luck ladies and don't give up it really does get better it just takes time and seems like it will never end but it will.
Hugs and prayers for all of you.
Debbie
|

replied February 13th, 2008
Bleeding after Hysterectomy
I had my hysterectomy Dec. 19, of 2007 and the first 2 weeks of being home now bleeding. After the 2weeks my bleeding started alone with the spotting from time to time also. I am very unhappy about it ! When I go wee it hurts me and my sister is a nurse and I told her what it was doing when I wee and she said that it is called blatter contractions. Its very uncomfortalbe and I had no health problems before ever. My doctor told me also that I am still healing in the inside but this was not what I was pushing for was a slap in the face. I had a cycle every 2 weeks and Im still bleeding after all the pain and suffering.
|

replied March 19th, 2008
Bleeding after Hysterectomy
I had my hysterectomy 2 weeks ago and I have had the occassional bleeding since surgery. This was my 2nd surgery in a space of 4 mths. Had a cyst removed from left ovary in October 07 and this time a huge cyst removed from the right ovary. The pain prior to surgery was paralysing. Over the last few days the bleeding has increased and is now darker red. The pain seems to be on the increase as well in the last few days. I called my doc and she said the bleeding is normal for about 4-6 weeks after surgery. But if it keeps increasing then I need to go back for an exam.I also had a burning or hurting when I wee and was found to have a post op urinary tract infection and now on antibiotics for that. When does pain and bleeding stop?
|

replied June 8th, 2008
bleeding after hysterectomy
Hi,
My mother had undergone an total hysterectomy on 26th May 2008. She came back home on 2nd June 2008. After coming to home she had some complications like a bit of vomiting and constipation. But the one that has been giving her more problem is the bleeding she has been having for the past 5-6 days now.
Is this bleeding normal? The bleeding is not stopping even after the medication the doctor gave. Her haemoglobin levels have gone down from 10.2 to 9.2 today. She is really scared now. The doctor says we may have to admit her in the hospital again. She is not that strong minded and has not undergone any operation before this, so she is very frightened now. When will this bleeding stop?
|

replied June 8th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I had full hyst with salpingo/oopherectomy. I was the same way. It bled for a while and I thought it would never stop. It does eventually. It does take 6 - 8 weeks to heal so you have to take it easy during that time. No lifting at all. Good luck to you.
|

replied June 9th, 2008
Bleeding after hysterectomy
Hi afish,
I am thankful for your reply. The doctor has given her some antibiotics. She has started taking them since yesterday night. Her bleeding is usually not there in the night and morning. But during the day and evening the bleeding is considerable.
We were thinking that for precautionary measure we should get her admitted in the hospital again. Just for precautions so that if some thing emergency occurs then the doctors can help.
But today she is in home only and will be given an injection in the afternoon. I hope she doesn't need a surgery again to repair some internal stitches. Thanks for your reply again.
Pronojit
|

replied July 29th, 2008
re: bleeding after hysterectomy
Hi,
I had a hysterctomy (just uterus and cervix) by laparoscopy on July 10th, I am still bleeding to the point where I have to wear a pad everyday - I feel okay, not tired, no fever, trying to take it easy (although my husband thinks I do too much). I am 44 and did this whole thing because of very heavy frequent periods and thought I would be done with all the pads etc - even looked forward to doing a little genuflect in the tampon aisle but it seems like it is more than just "spotting" - I know I should call the doctor, but I don't want to sounds like a whiner - like I said, the bleeding is the only symptom I have right now - does anybody know how long this could go on? I did have, what she thinks was a hemotoma on my right side under the incision but it seems to be going away which is what she said it would do - could this be the cause of the bleeding?
thanks!
Sherri
|
Users who thank STarran for this post: newmansv 
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile