Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Hiv Concern Relating to Sports

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I have a recent issue that has just come up while playing basketball. I played the normal game of basketball and then afterward noticed that the person I was playing against had some blood coming from his finger. I looked at my hands as well and noted one drop on my right hand and two drops/smudges on my left hand from his cut (they were very small, smaller than the eraser on a pencil). The skin on my hand was intact and there were no noticable cuts.

I looked at my face when I went home just to make certain that there was no blood there and I did not see any blood in my eyes/mouth nor nasal regions, but uncertain if some may have gotten in my eyes etc...

Do you think there is anything to be concerned about here (i have heard that this happens a lot and there are no known transmissions via sports, especially with intact skin) or am I just thinking way too much? Its tough to concentrate now when doing normal activities...What if the blood went in my eyes and I did not know it, or other mucous membranes?

I hope to hear from someone regarding this,maybe the docs...

If you have not noticed I am a hypochondriac and I may need some help.

Thanks,
zin
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 29th, 2006
Experienced User
Blood
I am happy to say that there is no risk whatsoever of becoming infected with hiv, for the following reasons:

1. The blood did not enter your bloodstream - hiv does not pass through intact skin, or even healing wounds.
2. A wound must be fresh and deep, and the other person's infected blood to be of a high quantity, for there to be any kind of risk.

Hiv is a difficult virus to become infected with. If you avoid sharing needles, and make sure that you use a condom properly for vaginal/anal sex, this is a disease you need ever worry about.

You did not get hiv from this scenario. If you require further reassurance, please visit aidsmeds.Com, and post in the 'fears' forum. True experts will answer you within minutes.

No risk. No way, no how.
|

replied March 29th, 2006
I do not remember if any blood got near my face...I did not see any blood when I got home and looked in the mirror near my face. So you think I am really good here?
|

replied March 30th, 2006
Experienced User
Yes
You have no chance of being infected by hiv this way.

Educate yourself.
|

replied February 9th, 2009
I had a similar situation. But what if a speck of blood had got into my mouth or eye and just didnt notice it?
|