Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

L-4-5 Bulging Discs With Degeneration of Disc's

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
I have been suffering since last year with my lower back problems. I am seeing a neurologist. I presently take 200mg oxicontin, 1200mg trileptal, 400mg celebrex, 50mg bachlofen and can barely get out of bed due to pain.

My legs barely work after standing or sitting for a few minutes. She now wants me to take a new medicine. :cry: these just mask the problem. It is driving me crazy.

I have been unable to work since january of last year. I am still trying to get my disability. I need some help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile IMShirl
|

replied March 28th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I am signed up for a lawsuit involving the use of celebrex and 'possibly' associated heart attack. I dont know why they are still prescribing celebrex for the pain. You might wanna ask the .Dr about this. I thought it was taken off the market.
|

replied March 31st, 2006
Experienced User
As a disc degenerates, it can herniate (the inner core extrudes) back into the spinal canal, which is known as a disc herniation (or a herniated disc). The weak spot in a disc is directly under the nerve root, and a herniated disc in this area puts direct pressure on the nerve, which in turn can cause pain to radiate all the way down the patient’s leg to the foot .
Approximately 90% of disc herniations will occur at l4- l5 (lumbar segments 4 and 5) or l5- s1 (lumbar segment 5 and sacral segment1), which causes pain in the l5 nerve or s1 nerve, respectively.
* l5 nerve impingement from a herniated disc can cause weakness in extension of the big toe and potentially in the ankle (foot drop). Numbness and pain can be felt on top of the foot, and the pain may also radiate into the rear.
*s1 nerve impingement from a herniated disc may cause loss of the ankle reflex and/or weakness in ankle push off (e.G. Patients cannot do toe rises). Numbness and pain can radiate down to the sole or outside of the foot .
Foment bag help to resolve the back pain, leg pain and discomfort caused by the herniated disc and heal the disc.
|

replied May 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Re: L-4-5 Bulging Discs With Degeneration of Disc's
backishurting wrote:
i have been suffering since last year with my lower back problems. I am seeing a neurologist. I presently take 200mg oxicontin, 1200mg trileptal, 400mg celebrex, 50mg bachlofen and can barely get out of bed due to pain.

My legs barely work after standing or sitting for a few minutes. She now wants me to take a new medicine. :cry: these just mask the problem. It is driving me crazy.

I have been unable to work since january of last year. I am still trying to get my disability. I need some help

hi backishurting ~

please check your pm (private messages)

shirl :d
|

replied October 22nd, 2006
Back Pain &epidural Injections
I have had ra for 12yrs and I have several herniated disc's in my lower back, I have under gone 26 epidural injections in my lower back over the past 18 months. I am here to tell anyone who is thinking about getting them do not!!!!! It has really messed me up, and now I have worse pain than I ever did before and I had a bone scan done and it showed severe damage.. So if ya need to talk email me.
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2010
Degerative disc disease, bulging disc and arthritis - help?
I am 47 years young and I have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, 2 bulging discs and severe arthritis in my hips and lower spine. It has gotten the best of me for about a month now and I am as frustrated as I could be with the lack of information and help from the doctors. I do not and will not live on pain medication as well as masking the situation with injections. I just want a realistic game plan to better my condition through exercise and prayer. I just ran a half marathon last Sept, not aware of my full condition at that time and I gosh darn want to run another half marathon in May. I sure could use some good information and some real life experiences here. THANK YOU for anything anyone might be able to say to help all of us that are in this boat Smile
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Treatment
That is far too long to still be trying medical management only. By this point, if you have had little or no improvement with just medications, I would hope your doctor would be exploring more aggressive treatment options. If your neurologist doesn't want to take that step, I would consider a new one.
|