Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Palpatations: Missed Beat 1 In 10 For 2 Months ... Any Ideas (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Hello there, im a newbie and have a question.

Im 32 years old and for about 2 months now I have been experiencing palpatations. They are constant, no matter what I am doing, and occur no matter what speed my pulse is. I have them when my pulse is at 73 and there have been several occasions when it runs at 120+ while resting. The happen about 1 in every 10-15 beats, my heart rythm generally is strong and regular and then it misses a beat and a stronger, thudding beat follows. Apart from the feeling in my chest, I have felt this numerous times in my pulse.

I finally plucked up the courage to visit my g.P. Who performed an ecg. Which showed up one missed heart beat although I had several during the 5 times the ecg was taken. She said that, generally, there did not look to be anything abnormal on the print-out.

My husband, however, listened to my heartbeat when we got home and I asked him to tap on my arm each time he felt there was an irregularity. He got it each time and heard about 7 in a minute or so.

Im being referred to the cardiology unit and having bloods taken on thursday.

Has anyone experienced this before or do you have any idea what on earth is going on? Believe me, nothing could be worse than what im thinking right now - im literally expecting to drop dead any any minute - im pretty scared right now.

Thank you

patricia
x
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper PaceFL
|

replied January 11th, 2004
Jumpy Heart
I have had that too. I am 35 f and am on tropal. It has helped alot. The only thing I deal with is sometimes when I am trying to go to sleep I will be lying there and bam. My heart just jumped and my body jolts. Very frustrating anyone have that?
|

replied June 14th, 2011
|

replied February 4th, 2005
Missed Heart Beats
Well I am 40f and have been experiencing exactly the same symptoms as patricia I landed in the emergency last weekend as I was too scared they did an ecg and sent me home in 15 minutes no explaination was given to me which infuriated me I went to my gp who on my insistance is sending me to a cardiologist.
|

replied May 5th, 2005
Palpatations !!!
Hello everyone. I'm looking for answers. I have had palpatations since 1998 and really nothing has been done. I have been put on a beta blocker corgard which doesn't help. My heart skips and flutters and pounces all over the place. I feel like i'm going to die all the time and have troubles breathing. If any one has any answers and is on a great medication please let me know. :?
|

replied June 6th, 2005
Palpatations
I know exactly what you are going through, you are not alone. I am 36 and got my first palpatation at 28. You described your palpatations just like mine to a "t". My Dr. Even sent me to a cardialogist and put me on a heart monitor for a month. After a month they said everything looked normal, but I couldn't be convinced!
She then put me on anti-depressants, nothing seems to help. Instead of 1 palpatation, they started coming in pairs, back to back. Now they come in 3s. Everyone thinks its anxiety...I disagree. I'm going to talk to my Dr. About something called "topal" maybe you should to. I am desperate to have these things go away.
I hope everything works out for everyone! :)
|

replied June 8th, 2005
Any Answers???
Hello everyone,

i'm 34 and have had pac's for 7 yrs.I'm on a beta blocker which slows my heart down some but doesn't take the palpatations away. They come on whenever all day and night. Sometimes it's just one big hard thud and sometimes it skips like 3 to 4 times in a row and continues that way for hours. I am always short of breath and it feels like my throat is closing.I don't drink any caffeine and I stay away from sugar. So if any one has any answers please let me know.

Thank you :(
|

replied June 10th, 2005
Palpitation
Hi everyone,
i'm 47f. I experience many kind of palpitations in my life. They all have name and reason. I think one of them almost same feeling as sxenurse but may be not exactly. It ticker my throat and make me cough. It also make me very nausea. Beta blockers haven't totally control yet. (still trying out for the right combination) at the moment, sometime work at night after I sleep. Many times I get the very strong beats wake me up in the middle of the night. It doesn't work during the day or when I open my eyes on the bed. It seems the strong beats are chasing the light palpitation. After reprogrammed the pacemaker, strong beats seem a little bite gentle, still get many many and I also get sob and many chest pain, see stars blinking in front of me and have a cold flash on my head as well. I wasn't sure is that the medication too strong? Dr said it is a atrial fibrillation. I've to take oral medication for the rest of my life. I hope you are not the same case as me. Good luck.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Missed Heartbeat
I am surprised about the lack of information you guys have been given.
Heart beats can miss periodically.

It is a begign condition, and should not cause harm.

My doctor said. The thud is a double strength pulse to make up for the miss. He also said that it is brought on by alcohol, caffeine or stress.

It is also possible that potassium, calcium and magnesium are :d not in balance. Make sure you get plenty of these in your diet.
Potassium: banana, tomato, avocado
calcium/magnesium : nuts and beans.
|

replied December 15th, 2011
Can u have palpitations cause your iron is low. Im 26 and i have been experiencing them for quite a while. Sometimes i feel dizzy afyer the fluttering and sometimes a thud. Ive been to a cardiologist and have been checked several times but they always tell everything looks fine. I dont kno what to do anymore its frustrating sary and i feel cery tired and weak at times
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Palpitations
I cannot believe there are people like me! I am 33 yrs old and have had palpitations for over 10 yrs. My heart skips a beat and it drives me crazy! You have all described exactly how I feel. I have been to the cardiologist for several work ups and all said the same thing its anxiety go home. Well it has always been very hard for me to accept that it was just anxiety. But last week I went to yet another cardiologist because I was have a lot of palpitations at work. He did a test that no one else has done he did an echo at rest then got me on the treadmill did the stress test then stopped me when my heart was racing had me get back on the table and did another echo while my heart was racing. Thank god nothing is structurally wrong with my heart but he said my heart rate was too high. I exercise regularly and im in pretty good shape so he said I have something called hyper b-adrenergic syndrome where the receptors in my heart are too sensitive to the adrenline that the body produces. He has prescibed a beta blocker toporol-xl. But I am nervous to take it. I hope someone thats on this med can give me some insight. I have to young children and im nervous its going to make me tired and dizzy. I hope my information can help someone who has never gotten any answers. It is comforting knowing im not crazy and there are people like me out there. Hopefully we can help each other. Hope to hear from someone about this drug.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Do Not Under Rate the Power of Food
A good healthy diet - in my view is one that avoids processed foods and tries to get plent of natural foods. Lots of fruit and veg and a good supply of eggs and meat.

It is also processed vegetable oil that is the real villain, not saturated fat. Try to avoid it. Its in fast foods, pastry and margarine.

Also most peope are deficient of omega-3 oil. (obtain from oily fish or supplement)

bodies are amazing things, but they can go wrong if not fed correctly.

Try to feed your body to avoid the need for medication.

Sorry, I forgot to mention co-enzyme q10. It is essential for heart function, made in the body and obtained from diet (in meat). You can also supplement it - (as you can potassium/magnesium/calcium) to see if it causes an improvement.

Cheers,

ned
|

replied May 19th, 2011
I was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy in 2003 after losing brother with it,& father possibly! Had adult stem cell treatment in 2008 (EF was at 12) with 30 injections of own stem cells injected directly into heart muscle. Cardiologist has me on usual meds but I swear by CoQ10 + Fish Oil supps. Take 150mcg CoQ10 x 3 daily with 1000 x 3 oil. Energy levels have improved radically. Also rely on clever Naturopath/Homeopath & deep tissue massage fortnightly.All combines well for me. I am 65 y.o.grandmother-loving life!
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Palpitations
Thank you for your input. But just to state I am very picky with my diet . I do not eat any processed foods or anything with partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oils. Only whole grains no sugar and no white starches, take fish oil and eat fish high in omega 3 oils 2 to 3 times a week. Unfortunately my diet and the vitamins I take are not the cause of my palpitations. But thanks for the input anyway.
|

replied August 16th, 2005
Hello Everyone, First Post...
I'm a male...Sorry....Seems most posters are female...I'm 55 and just recently started experiencing this problem...It goes away for about a month and then starts back, lasts about a week, and then resides again...Been to the doctor here in miami, fl....Given ekg, blood tests...Basically, the works, and was told nothing was wrong with my heart....I'm 5' 9" and weigh 160 lbs, so I don't think weight is a factor....My blood pressure is 125/75, heart rate around 75 per minute....The doctor told me that as long as these occurred less than 8 times a minute there was no cause for alarm....But, he ain't the one with the problem....Well, I think one of the posters here has come close to a resolution, because I have cut out my caffiene intake altogether, lowered my acholol consumption and that has seemed to eliminate the problem...However, two weekends ago I over-indulged and now for the last 7 days I have paid the price....Guess it's time to give up the drinking, even though I never was only a weekend social drinker...Ok, I like to party, give me a break...But, it does seem like that attributed to my problem....Once this "skipped heartbeat" problem starts it usually takes about 10 days to work itself back to normal, or so my experience has indicated....
|

replied September 5th, 2005
Still Frustrated
I just turned 44 and have had palpatations and "skipped beats" now since I was 25.
A couple of months ago I started a weight loss diet, basically just watching what I was eating and reading labels, cutting out sweets etc.
I joined a fitness facility where you have a 30 min workout on a circuit of machines. In some ways I think this is helping my overall health, but in other ways it seems my "skipping beats" have been getting much worse.
I basically have the same symptoms as some who have replyed to this forum, rapid pulse, skipping beats, even feel the beats in my neck! I also get them several times in a row, even up to 1/2 jour or longer at a time.
The last month or so they have become so bad that I feel like I am very weak and even felt like I was going to pass out at times. This weekend I went to my local emerg and had an ecg, chest x-ray and was put on a 24-hour monitor that I wore around my waist.
Doc thinks it is nothing to be concerned about, but boy it is sure hard to deal with when you feel like you are going to die!
I noticed that no one mentioned the possibility of peri-menopause. Last week, while waiting to get a blood test, I was reading a very popular magazine in which there was an article about this woman who had the same symptoms as the rest of us. She had gone to several doc's and had numerous tests done. Nothing!
Then she went to her gynocologist for another matter and happened to mention the "skipping". That doctor said that it is very possible that hormonal changes were attributing to the increaing incidences of the symptoms, as she was getting older they were getting worse and lasting much longer.
Interresting possibility!
|

replied May 20th, 2011
Im 51 f was wondering about the peri-menopause as ive started to have heart flutters and when i checked my pulse i realised im missing beats. I feel like theres pressure in my head when it gets bad. Im going for an ECG on Monday, so heres hoping ill get some sort of answer. Ive been admitted to hospital in the past but tests were always inconclusive. From reading a lot online about this it does seem that sress and stimulents like caffine can play a role. I however havent drank tea or coffee for over 20 years and apart from this im not under any particular stress. Ive also found that magnesium supplements seem to help me.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied May 28th, 2011
Update
Took two 300mg magnesium supplements and my hearts been fine all week, after weeks of almost constant flutters. Doctor says if it starts again to phone and she will arrange for a 24hr monitor, but as nothings happeneing just now they wont be able to find anything. I will be taking magnesium from now on and see what happens, will keep you posted. ECG and blood tests all came back normal but chloresterol a bit high. Def recommend trying magnesium as most people are deficient due to the way our foods processed, which can cause palpitations. Its cheap to buy and no side effects that i know of, although better taken with food as it can irritate the stomach. Doctors dont seem to know much about nutrition!
Purplepoppy
|

replied September 14th, 2005
Missed Heart Beats
:) hi my name is sue and im new to this site, I recenlty visited my drs to say I have been experincing palpitations, I had been before but the other dr was hopeless, he has told me that my heart misses a beat, I feel that it is either fast or really slow with a thudding feeling, he says this is normal, but with both my parents suffering with heart problems and the rest of the family having died from them it does worry me from time to time. No medication was offered just put up with it,
any suggestions?
Thanks sue. :d
|

replied September 14th, 2005
Re: Missed Heart Beats
[quote="angel hi my name is sue and im new to this site, I recenlty visited my drs to say I have been experincing palpitations, I had been before but the other dr was hopeless, he has told me that my heart misses a beat, I feel that it is either fast or really slow with a thudding feeling, he says this is normal, but with both my parents suffering with heart problems and the rest of the family having died from them it does worry me from time to time. No medication was offered just put up with it,
any suggestions?

Thanks sue.
|

replied October 14th, 2005
Heart Palpitations
Hello, I am a newbie too, just became a member today as I did a google search looking for info on heart palpitations that lead me to this forum. After reading all the posts, I realize I am really not alone with having these horrible, scary, bothersome heart palpitations.

I too have the strong thug and the missed beat feeling, it is really strong in my throat just above my sternum. It almost, at times, takes my breath away and scares me.....And then my heart races, I think due to scaring myself. I sometimes feel foggy in the head too after, don't know if it is mind over body because of worrying about the palpitations or not. It has affected my life in that I am concerned about going places with my son, could I pass out?, faint while driving?, etc... This is so not me, I am a social person, love to go places, but now, I am concerned all the time.

I am a 41 woman and have had some degree of palpitations since being a teenager, but never like what I have been experiencing the past year and a half. I have read about menopause and the changing hormones causing palpitations, maybe that's it. I use to drink alcohol daily, wine and/or beer, but have since stopped that and I am drinking half decaf and half caffeinated coffee, only two regular sized coffee cups a day. Thinking these life style changes would help.....Well they haven't! I also try to watch what I eat, no trans fats, basically a mediterranean style diet for the most part.

I am so tired of feeling like I am about to die every time I experience these sensations, which lately has been round the clock and daily. I was in a critical auto accident in april of 2003 that really messed me up, lots of surgeries, hospital stays and a very long recovery. Due to that, I was on prozac for anxiety attacks, and even on the prozac, I was having heart palpitations, maybe to a lesser degree, but I had them.

I have normal to low blood pressure, no problems with my cholesterol and I am 50 pounds over weight :(, and not as active as I would like to be due to my leg injuries. My question is does anyone else feel them strongly in their throat, does it make you feel strange in the head, like you might just faint or feel out of it???? I can also feel my heart literally pounding in my chest too.

Like others who have posted about this, I too have seen my doctor, had the 24 hour heart halter monitor, ekg's, etc...She just said to cut down on the caffeine, that's it. I plan on seeing my doctor again because at this point, I find it hard to function, they have taken over my life!!!!! I don't feel good and I am constantly worrying. I am a christian too, so I have tons of faith, but even my prayers for these dreaded palpitations to stop haven't helped yet. I am not ready to die yet, have a young son and husband to care for and live for.

Thanks for your time and sharing about your heart palpitations. God bless.
|

replied October 18th, 2005
Palpatations
Hey everyone I am new to this site but I needed to talk to somebody who might be having the same problems I am having. I am overweight and i'm trying to lose my weight but I keep having palpatations especially when I work out or even just walk. I didn't use to have these palpatatoins a lot. I would maybe have them once a month. Now I have them everyday, I can't even count how many times a day I have them now. It's scaring me to death. I could just be sitting down and have one. When it happens it's like it stops me dead in my tracks and my heart skips beats back to back sometimes 4 or 5 times in a row, I feel dizzy and light headed for a moment and then it feels like my breath almost gets taken out of me and then a big thud happens and then I feel weak and drained afterwards. Does anyone have this out there? I am only 25 yrs. Old. I have had this since I was 12 yrs old but never mentioned anything about it because at the time I didn't know what it was until I got older. I really want to lose this weight but i'm afraid I will have a heart attack or pass out while working out. I'm so scared. I have alot of heart disease and stuff in my family. I made an appointment to see a heart doctor but they can't see me until oct. 24th.2005. I was hoping maybe I would get to talk to someone who has the same symptoms as I do and talk to them. Thanks.
Sincerely scared,
kyla
|

replied October 28th, 2005
Missed Beats?
:? Hi to all who read an and post , this is my first time looking at this site,and iam amazed at how many have the same symptoms as myself,i am 42 and thought I was fairley fit untill 18 mths ago when I started having "funny dos" this is what the kids call them, to me they are far from funny :cry: I have ended up in a&e so many times after fainting due to whatever happens while my heart misses or jumps then rights itself, I wanted to know if anyone had pain in thier back between the shouder blades aftrer after having there missed beat also a dull ache in the chest that can last a few secs or hours also when the heart jumps itseems to jump into a differny rythem , a a bit like not running on all cylinders then later it will right itself and I will feel fine I think like most who post here that when your heart misses you natrually panic and this inturn can give you symptons that just make it seem worse, I have had all the nomal tests and more and iam now going to have a small computer insirted under the skin done under a local, and it will they say record heart activity and will be a sure way to see just what it is going on . I suppose the good news is we are all still here, able to write so whatever it is going on we are here to write another day :p
|

replied November 3rd, 2005
Palpatations
Hi everyone...I just joined this site in hopes to find others who suffer from palpatations and here you are! I'm hoping I can learn something from each of you that will help me to understand my condition a little better. . I am 43 yo female and I started to suffer with palpatations about a year ago. I went to urgent care one weekend when they were pretty active and they put a halter monitor on me for 24 hours. The results showed alot of extra heart beats (even though to me it feels like my heart is actually skipping beats, not adding one). So, I took the results to a very good cardiologist in my area (of course the day of my appt, I wasn't having them, so I was glad I had the proof from the halter monitor results). Anyway, he did an ekg and also an ultrasound of my heart and said everything was normal. He told me most palpations are very normal and to try to cut down on caffeine, etc. Well, now i'm getting them alot more frequently and i've even had a few occassions where i've felt like i'm going to faint. One time I was driving when it happened and the other time I was standing up to sing the national anthem at the beginning of a hockey game and boom......Thought I was going to hit the floor. I immediately bent my head down (cause I heard that makes the blood rush to your head and stop fainting) and prayed she would finish the song in record breaking time and not prolong any notes! As anyone knows, after you have this near fainting experience, it really freaks you out and if your heart wasn't racing before this happens, it certainly races after it happens and it really consumes your whole thought process and puts a damper on any fun that you were attempting to have. You just seem to sit there and wait for the worst to happen until these darn palpatations reside. Anyway, one thing i've started to notice about my palpatations is that they seem to come when I drink more coffee than I should or maybe when i'm not drinking as much fluid as I should. I'm really bad about the water thing and as soon as I start drinking a lot of water, it seems like they go away in the next day or two. Since everything seems to "dry up" or "fall down" when you reach your 40's, i'm beginning to wonder how much dehydration plays a factor in palpatation sufferers? Can any of you tell me if you drink alot of fluids a day or notice any reduction in your palpatations after you increase your fluid intake? Does anyone think like me and feel that dehydration may play a big part in palpatation sufferers? Thanks for listening to my story and I look forward to reading your reply's.
|

replied November 11th, 2005
Try Cayenne Pepper
Edit

there is alot of research going on in the field of orthomolecular nutrition.

Cayenne pepper caps are amazing for the heart and all heart related issues.

There are clinical studies on it's efficacy.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska