Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Pneumonia?

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
My mother died 1 year ago from lung cancer. I smoked for 30 years and have decided that I will probably develop lung cancer in my lifetime. I was diagnosed with pneumonia from a chest xray today. Has anyone ever heard of pneumonia with no coughing? Thank you. P. S. I haven't been a smoker for 4 years.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 4th, 2006
Hello weenie,
i have look up at my lecture notes for pneumonia. I hope it could be useful but take into account that this are presentation commonly in asia. There are three types of pneumonia, hospital acquired ( not yours ) hiv ( not yours too ) or community acquired ( this could be the one ) . It have two presentation

typical

fever
cough (purulent sputuum)
pleuritic chest pain
consolidation signs (dullness,bronchial breath sound,inc. Fremitus, creps )

atypical

gradual onset
dry cough
non specific
abnormal cxr ,minimal signs on physical examination

this depends on it's agent ( bacteria or virus ). Each have cough in the list. So pneumonia without coughing must be very uncommon.
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2006
Pneumonia can develop in healthy younger people during the winter months, causing a mild illness with recovery in 2 to 3 weeks. Pneumonia also may occur after a viral respiratory illness; in these cases, bacteria may cause the infection, which can be severe.
Pneumonia is caused by viruses, bacteria, or (in rare cases) parasites or other organisms.

In people with impaired immune systems, pneumonia may be caused by other organisms, including some forms of fungi.

Common symptoms of pneumonia include:-
cough, fever, chest wall pain, shortness of breath

antibiotics are used to treat bacterial pneumonia.
|

replied May 7th, 2010
What was the outcome
Weenie,
I know this is a long shot, since its been 4 years since you posted. This is the same condition my dad is in right now. What was it that you had? I hope it was pnemonia.
|

replied June 9th, 2010
Pneumonia with no cough
I was just diagnosed this weekend with bacterial pneumonia following a chest x-ray at a local hospital. I did not have a cold, had no wheezing, and no cough or sputum. My only symtoms were fever and nausea. I have not been able to find anything on the Internet about bacterial pneumonia with no cough. It's very odd and I am going to get an answer somehow.
|

replied June 25th, 2010
My son had the exact same thing. Fever and nausea and lungs sounded clear but X-ray showed fluid. What did you learn, because I'm finding nothing, as well. We are to see an allergist and a pulmonologist next. He is 4 and has had pneumonia several times since was 4 months old.
|

replied June 26th, 2010
Pneumonia no cough
Sorry, but I still do not have an answer. I have had asthma and allergies since childhood, but the asthma is well-controlled with medication. I had a pneumonia shot recommended for those with chronic lung disease, but managed to get pneumonia anyway. And in the summer too! I am scheduled to get a follow-up x-ray in 6 weeks to make sure my lungs are clear. Let me know if you find out anything.
|

replied July 10th, 2010
Pneumonia without a cough
I have had a fever of about 103 for the last three days and absolutely no cough or nausea. I found out that I have right lung pneumonia as well. The doctor told me that she has only seen it once and it was when she had it. I have been feeling absolutely awful but I started antibiotics last night...we will have to see how it turns out. I can't find anything saying you can have pneumonia without a cough either. Hopefully it is gone soon though! It has been miserable. The fever is what has been the nightmare.
|

replied December 16th, 2011
pneumonia without cough or cold symptom but with very high fever
Hi, I read about your pneumonia w.out cough but with high fever. Fever for me has been horrific, spiking up and down from 101 - 104. Accompanied by incredible back pain when elevated and massive sweating. I have no congestion or other signs of a cold. After a chest x-ray, I was surprised to learn that I have pneumonia in left lung. Would very much like to know how things worked out for you. My doctor had unusually concerned voice when he called me. I have been put on anti viral flu med. (although I tested negative for flu a & b) and z-pac antibiotic.

If you recieve this, would you let me know how you did?

Many thanks,
Debra
|

replied September 9th, 2010
Pneumonia with no cough
I also had walking pneumonia with no cough. Actually, I had no symptoms except for extreme pain below my breast and in my back. I went to the ER thinking I pulled a muscle. I am 35 years old, I am a smoker but have never had any major health issues. It has now been over two months since it began, now I have developed a cold. I had another xray today which showed "great improvement but not 100 percent". Back on antibiotics and an inhaler. I am very paranoid that it will return and plan to have the pneumonia shot as soon as I am well enough. Best wishes to you all.
|

replied September 30th, 2010
Advice?
My husband coughed up blood yesterday morning. He went to his Dr. and they thought it was an anti inflammatory drug he was taking but had him do the X Ray anyway. They called back and said his X Ray showed Consolidation in the Right Upper Lobe.They said he had A typical Pneumonia and prescribed him an antibiotic. He has absolutely no symptoms other than the coughing up blood and a bad chest x ray. And the cough isn't even a cough.. he just feels like he has a little phlegm. Yesterday afternoon when he coughed it was a big blood clot. No phlegm or mucus. Just blood. We have been trying to get his doctor to take a culture but they've told him to wait until tomorrow. I'm concerned that he may have TB. His father travels often to China. Or maybe possibly lung cancer. I just can't figure out why they'd think it was Pneumonia when he really doesn't have any symptoms...
|

replied October 6th, 2010
PNEUMONIA WITH NO COUGH ..PAIN STILL IN BACK
i accidentally inhaled water into my lung and had all the symptoms of PNUEMONIA; fever (though low), chills,almost no breath, pain while breathing, pain in chest, pain in back... but NO COUGH, none. i have been sneezing up a little and do feel phlegm being swallowed. I have improved on antibiotic but still feel back pain. DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE WHAT I HAVE.
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Pneumonia without a cough
I have been sick with pneumonia at least 8 times in the last 12 years, all without a cough. More recently my only symptoms have been back and chest pain (esp when I breathe), low grade fever, muscle aches and fatigue. The x-ray is the proof it's pneumonia, but I never start out with a cold or flu. It just comes on suddenly as feeling sick, and it's pneumonia! I did get the vaccine several years ago and it worked for 7 years, but now pneumonia twice in the last year...it's time for another shot!! I think some people think I'm imagining things until I go to the doctor and get the x-ray because they've never heard of pneumonia with out a cough. Good luck to you!
|

replied January 14th, 2012
No cough Pneumonia
I also have Pneumonia without a cough! It actually started without a cough--just completely unable to breathe and I was TRYING to cough so I didn't feel like I was drowning. Went to the doctors and she heard some really bad wheezing, got an Xray, and YEP. Pneumonia. My doctor said sometimes it's just that there is a "latent" phase where the junk is collecting--THEN the cough starts. Which is kind of proving true, since I just coughed up a ton of stuff after being on Penicillin for two days.
|

replied April 25th, 2012
I have pneumonia without a cough and actually without any symptoms. I was diagnosed on 04/06/12 - gave me antibiotics and went back 04/20/12 and it has gotten worse. double pneumonia and water in lungs. Second round of antibiotics. I am hardly coughing, no fever. I am fatigued but I am still able to work. I have joint and deep muscle pains. I have no idea where that is coming from. This is all very strange and I am getting worried I am not going to get over this. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied February 24th, 2013
pneumonia without symptoms
I was just diagnosed with pneumoniawith no cold or cough. I thought I had a kidney infection because of lower back pain. Xray showed nothing. I had blood in my urine so they decided to Do a CT to look for kidney stones. That's when the diagnosed me with pneumonia. Dr. Said he it was very unusual.
|
Quick Reply