Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Head Lice (Page 1)

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
I noticed the nits (eggs) in my daughter's hair today. She has been away at her fathers for 9 days. How long has she had head lice? I did not see any active or dead bugs in her hair. I treated her, but also, do I need to treat her again in 10 to 14 days like the directions said.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tor1968
|

replied January 3rd, 2004
Home Remedy!
Just to let ya know! I can't tell you how long she's had it, probably not very long though you really should treat her again. Make sure she washes her head every day! I'm told that lice like unwashed hair. You should also treat everyone else's hair in your household, just for precautions. If the treatment doesn't work, there is a great home remedy! Before she goes to bed, rub olive oil through her hair and on her scalp. Then, put a shower cap over her head overnight, and wash it out over night. It really works! I had head lice when I was younger and my mother used it on me!
Good luck!
|

replied October 7th, 2004
Head Lice
Please dont reply unless you know what your talking about!!! Rolling Eyes lice does not stay out of clean hair! In fact they like clean hair! There eggs can not stick to dirty greasy hair!!!!! Any one needs real advice about head lice, feel free to e-mail me!
|

replied March 16th, 2005
Headlice Cure
I saturated my daughters long hair with a hair conditioner called le kair cholesterol plus.I put a shower cap on her head and she slept with it on all nite..I bought it at sally beauty supply.It completely eliminated the headlice.
|

replied June 21st, 2006
I know how you feel, cwainwright. My son got his lice after spending two weeks at camp and I had no idea how long they had been there, and of course the camp did not do anything for it or even let me know! ...I was very, very mad believe me.

I tried nix on his head like 3 times. All 3x it came back/. I finally just got on the internet and looked up head lice. Thats when I came across licex and I just went ahead and ordered it because it said it had all natural ingredeints, and my son has really sensitive skin. And you know what? It actually worked! I asked our doctor about it and he looked at the ingredients and said they were all safe for kids.

So anyway the lice have stayed gone now for 2 months. Thankg oodness. It worked for me anyway.
|

replied July 25th, 2006
How I Got Rid of Lice.....
Well I first got lice when I was 12 years old. I am now 14 and I finally got rid them. I had tried everything, from sitting with olive oil on my head, putting mayonaise all over my scalp, to using baby oil. My doctor kept telling my parents to shave my head. I eventually did have to get rid of my long blonde hair and cut it really short. It was emotionally devistating to me. My mom was really worried about using the shampoos so much because the chemicals in them caused cancer. None of them worked, and the bugs just kept coming and coming. Well about 6 months ago I went and got my hair professionally dyed. A week later the bugs were gone and all the nits that I had didn't hatch. I know getting your hair professionally done cost like $100, but after you spend so much money just trying and failing to get rid of the bugs, its totally worth it.
|

replied September 14th, 2006
Head Lice
Does anyone know? I have heard that chemically treated hair, such as dyeing, won't get lice. Is this true. My daughter has had a horrible problem with lice for the last year. On and off. We have tried all the remedies. They work for a while, but reinfestation is always a problem. School, school bus, church groups in close quarters, slumber parties. The list of possibilities goes on. My husband and son haven't gotten them, but they both keep their hair extremely close cut. I haven't gotten them and I dye my hair as well as use styling products. If it's true that color treated hair doesn't get lice I will definitely color her hair.
|

replied July 8th, 2007
Re: Home Remedy!
krazymeg710 wrote:
Just to let ya know! I can't tell you how long she's had it, probably not very long though you really should treat her again. Make sure she washes her head every day! I'm told that lice like unwashed hair. You should also treat everyone else's hair in your household, just for precautions. If the treatment doesn't work, there is a great home remedy! Before she goes to bed, rub olive oil through her hair and on her scalp. Then, put a shower cap over her head overnight, and wash it out over night. It really works! I had head lice when I was younger and my mother used it on me!
Good luck!
lice love clean hair too
|

replied July 31st, 2007
Try to get yourself a natural head lice remedy, one that contains Neem Oil. The Neem tree is native to India, is known as the ‘Cure All’ tree and has been used as a natural insecticide for thousands of years. When you mix this with other natural ingredients that kill both lice and nits you have a totally safe treatment.

If you want to suffocate the live lice coat your hair in baby oil, put on a showercap and leave it on overnight. Put on a sweatband to stop the drips. This will suffocate them.

In the morning straighten your hair with hair straighteners to pop the nits. Repeat this in 7 days to catch any nits that hatch that you missed. Use mousse or hairspray every day to simulate 'dirty' hair which lice find hard to attach to.

We got hold of a book called 'Live Lice Free - The Head Lice Handbook.' This had everything we needed to know to get rid of head lice. Their remedy worked for us and killed all the nits and lice.

Hope this helps.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Help Please!?!?!?
Can you tell me what the remedy was? I have been fighting with Lice in both my girls hair for 6 months now. I am about to lose my mind. I will sit for 7 hours pulling nits out by hand because the combs dont work. I also have tried different washes, i know they are bad but i need the lice gone, nothing is working. I finally got them out of my oldest hair which lasted for a couple months but my youngest just keeps getting them. I am washing everything in the house I even had to take away their xmas toys and bag them up for months. I have taken ALL the precautions even washing everyones hair with tea tree shampoo. Please help!
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Bugs
Is it possible for body lice to be in your hair? There's been times where I've been brushing my hair and little bugs fell out and landed on my shirt. I tried doing a head lice treatment but that didn't seem to work. I'm thinking that the bugs were in my bed somehow and crawl into my hair during the night. Is that possible? How do I get rid of them
|

replied June 11th, 2008
nits
sarahsmum wrote:
Try to get yourself a natural head lice remedy, one that contains Neem Oil. The Neem tree is native to India, is known as the ‘Cure All’ tree and has been used as a natural insecticide for thousands of years. When you mix this with other natural ingredients that kill both lice and nits you have a totally safe treatment.

If you want to suffocate the live lice coat your hair in baby oil, put on a showercap and leave it on overnight. Put on a sweatband to stop the drips. This will suffocate them.

In the morning straighten your hair with hair straighteners to pop the nits. Repeat this in 7 days to catch any nits that hatch that you missed. Use mousse or hairspray every day to simulate 'dirty' hair which lice find hard to attach to.

We got hold of a book called 'Live Lice Free - The Head Lice Handbook.' This had everything we needed to know to get rid of head lice. Their remedy worked for us and killed all the nits and lice.

Hope this helps.

The part about "simulate 'dirty' hair which lice find hard to attach to." isnt correct. I colour my hair, use copious amounts of different products including mousse and hairspray in my hair daily and I still caught the little critters. They dont care what condition ones hair is in. if its hair, they will attach.
Interesting theory about the olive oil. Think I will try that.
Ive seen that book on trademe. What sort of stuff to they say?Im a bit skepital buying a 'book'. Books dont kill lice!
|

replied February 5th, 2010
It works!
This morning i was straightening my hair and all these little bugs fell out. My head had been itching for weeks, and i know i have lice because they fell off because of the intense heat of my straightner. to be sure you really do have lice, straighten ure hair on the highest temp. and then if bugs (lice) fall out then u have it.
|

replied February 12th, 2010
My mom made us put coconut oil on our hair to control head lice. If ever we had an infestation, she would slather it on and make us go outside to play on a winter's day. coconut oil hardens rather quickly and it freezes all the lice and nits, thus killing them. Do this every other day for at least two weeks.
An alternative remedy would be to purchase internal parasite cleansers. The most effective ones would have cloves, sweet wormwood, and black walnut hull. the hypothesis being that if they kill the parasites inside you then they will kill the parasites on the outside as well since they feed on the same blood.
|

replied April 24th, 2010
I used to have head lice and i didnt tell anyone- i picked the eggs that i could see off as well as some lice. However that was a few years ago, and i havent seen any lice or brown eggs since then. I still find a few shells like the lice moulted etc, but none of the bronze, brown eggs that i had before.
I never treated it with any head lice medicine though. Are they gone??
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
It is not the shell of the lice you are finding. it is dead lice. They dont live forever. they have a short life cycle and will die on their own.
|

replied April 27th, 2010
Good Lice Treatment
My son got lice I was going to cut his hair short, but the local barber said it would infect his tools. His advice was put baby [mineral] oil over his head, then leave it for 2-3 hours. Wash hair as usual, maybe twice to remove more oil. Then repeat the next day.

I did this and after the 1st application, before washing, was able to comb out the various size bugs which were dead. He said the itching wasn''t there that night. There were no new ones after that. I repeated the method just in case.

Then I found a few bugs while combing, and did the same treatment. I also heard that hair conditioner can be used to and is less messy. I did one treatment with that and it was much the same, less drips though!

Whatever you put on - olive oil, baby oil, hair conditioner [creme cleanser] - I think the point is to leave it on for at least an hour, so the bugs cannot revive. Apparently they can hold their breath for 30 minutes, so time could be important.

When washing the bedding I soaked it for at least half an hour, in case they had not died yet. So far it''s been good. I doubt the eggs would want to hatch into my part-oil, part-shiny hair. LOL.
|

replied April 27th, 2010
Head Lice Treatment
- oops - [above] I meant to say after my SON''s treatment I found bugs in MY own hair and treated myself with oil too. His bugs did not return. Bye
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2010
Head Lice
A good tip is to use tea tree oil in the olive oil when smothering as this helps in getting the nit eggs of the hair when combing out . Also as a preventative measure to use tea tree oil behind your childrens ears and on shirt collar to prevent reinfection
Susan Bourke
|

replied June 7th, 2010
My Lice Tips continued [add to my other thoughts]
[Added to my tips above:] I also think washing the sheets is not a major thing after the first wash when you find the lice. Using light colour sheets and pillow cases helps to show up any bugs if they are still hatching. If there's blood on a pillow case but no bugs on sheets, just change the pillowcases.

After the 1st Discovery and Clean Out of the bigger bugs [with conditioner or oil], we combed morning and night every day. This removed the babies that just hatched from the white eggs. I couldn't be bothered picking out the eggs as there were so many and my hair is so thick, I'd be there for hours. Instead, we did combing 2x a day which worked and though it took 14 days [because I didn't pick off eggs] it definitely does the trick, if you don't want to waste money on products or can't afford it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When buying a comb, my only cost, it needs to be a fine-tooth metal comb, to catch the new babies which are tiny. You get used to spotting them a wee brown dot, with teensy little arms and legs sticking out the side, like a fuzzy shadow. I used a pin to scrape them out of the comb's teeth. You don't need to rinse for every comb-stroke done, they get trapped in there till you scrape them out.

Just do it over a sink or bath and rinse the little bodies away. You DO NOT have to stick them in boiling water. Down the sink and they're dead!!

If we managed then you will too... Get informed and you'll be ok!
|

replied September 18th, 2010
Re: Head Lice
[quote="cwainwright"]I noticed the nits (eggs) in my daughter's hair today. She has been away at her fathers for 9 days.
Don't panic, I have found something that works, even for real little ones!I am a mum of 4 children all at primary school. I have battled with treating head lice for years and believe me when I say I have tried everything.Nothing works if all the other children at school havent been treated at the same time and some parents just dont address this issue. I have tried old wives tales and shop bought remedies, even got a prescription from our doctor because my youngest daughter of 2 had a really badly bitten scalp.It didnt work and the chemicals irritated her scalp more. I have spent a small fortune and got so fed up that I thought it wouldnt hurt to try one more thing that my aunt in England wrote to me about.I used this Head Lice PETS treatment plan from the last week of class before summer vacations and all the kids were clear the rest of the holidays. I used on my daughter with sensitive scalp and it was so soothing and didnt irritate her at all. My sister is pregnant and she got nits from my kids but she used this treatment too and its safe for her.I was dreading the first weeks back at school and sure enough just 2 weeks in, there was a letter sent home to parents about an outbreak. Much to my sheer delight none of my kids got it and show no signs because of the treatment plan I got. It was only £2.99 and you can even earn points for your school and they get sent money. I am so releived this work and know that it doesn't matter if every other kid has lice , mine wont.
|

replied September 24th, 2010
HEAD LICE R GO!!
Thank you Kixley for coming back to me, all input is valuable and it is useful to build up a guide of what is succesful and what is not. I heard about the conditioner method before and for the most part it is good but it doesn't kill the eggs. If the eggs have not been killed with the treatment then about 5 days after there is a new batch of lice. A pharmacist told me that the lice can live without breathing air for 24 hours!!I think that this new system Head Lice Pets from headlicedeadlice.co.uk I have found is brilliant becasue it deals with the eggs, the little lice and the adult ones. The treatment has something in it that helps break down the glue that the eggs stick to the hair with, it must be like superglue! Also you only have to buy this once so I didn't mind spending £2.99 and some of that gets donated to my daughter's school. I think there is a lot of cons out there and they want parents to keep buying , this method is the best by far. I hope you don't have to deal with these nasty critters!! Thanks again
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Srinivas Singaram
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile