Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

5 Weeks Pregnant But No Sac In Ultrasound (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I just found out that I am 5 weeks 3 days pregnant. I went to the doctor and had an internal ultrasound. The doctor did not see any sac. They did some blood test on me to see how my hcg levels were doin, and I get the results tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if it just might be too early to find the sac in some people.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Eyes Wide Shut
|

replied March 23rd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
By 5 weeks they can see a sac, just not the heartbeat in many situations.

Hopefully the .H.C.G levels are good!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2006
Experienced User
It's *possible* that they just missed the sac, but it's unlikely.

It's also possible that it's a chemical pregnancy. Simple explanation is that the body *thinks* it's pregnant and elevates hcg without an egg having actually been fertilized. It's one of the reasons a period can be late, but the thing is that the hpt's are so much more sensitive and accurate now, that they can actually pick up a chemical pregnancy where before we would never have known that hcg levels were elevated for "no apparent reason."
|

replied March 24th, 2006
Update
Well I jsut got back from my doctor today and the blood tests came out perfectly fine! He said the reason he couldnt see the sac was because your hcg levels have to be around 1500. Mine on the other hand were only 900, too soon. But they more then doubled in 2 days so im relieved. I go in for an ultrasound monday, 3 days from now. Thank you very much for your replies.
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2006
Community Volunteer
That's good to hear. I hope your pregnancy goes along smoothly!!!! Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Awesome news, I would never wish on anyone to loose a child, they can drive you nuts but they are precious! Congrats on the pregnancy!!
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Update
ardenb wrote:
well I jsut got back from my doctor today and the blood tests came out perfectly fine! He said the reason he couldnt see the sac was because your hcg levels have to be around 1500. Mine on the other hand were only 900, too soon. But they more then doubled in 2 days so im relieved. I go in for an ultrasound monday, 3 days from now. Thank you very much for your replies.

that's great news! Congratulations, i'm really happy that you got such wonderful confirmation.
|

replied March 25th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I'm sure everything will be perfect!!

Congratulations!!!

Sarah
|

replied March 29th, 2006
Experienced User
I hope everything works out for you. I'm only about four weeks and had u/s done and they couldnt find anything either. I was told hcg had to be atleast 3000. I donno. But I guess my problem is different than urs. They are trying to rule out ectopic pregnancy, starting of a m/c, or baby may be fine. My levels went up sun.(1100) and mon.(1600). So doc. Said that was good. But i'm hoping for the best. I have more blood work thrusday and another u/s on monday. So I hope everything goes well for you and they are able to find something
|

replied July 25th, 2012
Nothing visible at 5 wks 2 days
I've had a tubal reversal 4 1/2 years ago and my left tube is completely closed. I'm 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant. First Beta 548, 3 days later 1780. Waiting on the results from today. Nothing visible on an ultrasound yet. Devastated. Shouldn't I see something? They are ruling out an ectopic. Any one with similar situation?
|

replied November 6th, 2012
Pg after mc blighted ovum
Last oct I had a pos pg test, no baby visible at 5 weeks but hcg levels continued to rise (to 9000 plus). Dr did see a small mass/cyst on my left ovary. Told me a possible ectopic. 3 very long weeks, every day seems forever not knowing. Well I ended up with ER surgery to remove what was dx'd as an ovarian cyst. When I woke up I was told my pg was intact. The next week I started passing huge clots, bigger then golf balls. Was told I was m/c. My hcg levels kept climbing. Finally stopped. End dx was a blighted ovum. Well it's over a yr later and I'm now 27 weeks pg with finally a girl. Hang in there, I know every day/ hr can feel like forever. I have 2 grown boys, and 2 yr old son. But 4 m/c 2 being 2nd trimester.
|

replied March 30th, 2006
Update
Well I went to the doctors and my hcg levels were 2000. He did another ultrasound and there was my beautiful baby, lol, well the sac. So everyting is doin just as they should, ty all for talkin me through this.
|

replied January 30th, 2009
Miscalculated or is Baby in trouble?
My LMP was on December 4th, meaning I should be about 8 weeks along. My HcG levels were initially low, I have had them retested but am still waiting on results, to make sure they rise okay.
My problem is, I had a vaginal sonogram yesterday to rule out ectopic pregnancy, and the gestational sac was visible inside my uterus, but the technician told me it appeared only 4 wks gestational age, and not 8 wks like it should be.
My cycles vary by 4-5 days, and tend to be on the long side, 32-33 days or so.
Since I haven't had a period since Dec. 4, it seems odd that I would be only 4 weeks along. I had implantation spotting (just the tiniest bit) less than a week ago, which seemed about 10 days late for implantation by my calculations.
Factoring in the low HcG levels for 8 wks pregnant (probably good for 4, though), does this seem like something I should panic about, or am I just less pregnant than I expected?
Can a low level of HcG slow the growth of the baby or sac? Making them appear younger on the US?
|

replied February 16th, 2009
5 weeks and 4 days pregnant but no fetus was seen in ultrasound
i'm worried that my doctor told me last week that usually 1.8cm there will be a fetus.but the result of my ultrasound is the mean sac diameter 1.9cm and no fetus was found.it is normal?
|
Users who thank delux for this post: wheng 

replied February 28th, 2009
im 5 weeks pregnant empty sac
please tell me if thats ok im 5 weeks pregnant my hcg level is 3000 and in the scan the doc told me that the size of the sac did not grow from a week ago and the sac is empty so is my hcg level normal for 5 weeks
|

replied March 1st, 2009
4wks and empty sac
i had vaginal scan and it was explained to me that as sac was only 4mms its may just be u cant see baby yet but i still worried!! no blood tho
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
You may be fine
It is not uncommon to have nothing show up until 6 and sometimes even 7 weeks. Pregnancy hormone levels do have something to do with what you see but so does how much you weigh. Larger women with more weight around the mid section may not see anything until 6 or 7 weeks.

A vaginal scan may show something but not always. This early on, it is very difficult to locate a fetus / embryo so do not worry, especially if you have no bleeding and have other early stage pregnancy symptoms like sore breasts, headaches, dizziness, frequent trips to the washroom, light yellowish-white discharge, etc.

Best of luck to you!
|

replied June 6th, 2009
7 weeks pregnant
Question I went for a sono at 6 weeks and they didn't see anything. I had my hcg levels checked they went from 6000 to 8000 so I went back and had another sono 7 weeks and they see a yolk sack but that is all. Dr says it may not be 7 weeks maybe only 5, or I am miscarring. Any opinions the stress
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2009
I miscarried in April at 8 weeks. Well, I chose to have a D&C as there was no baby, only a gestational sac. The day I found out I was pregnant I also had bleeding. I went in to get my HCG levels over the next few days and they looked fine. I had spotting through out the next couple of weeks and asked for a ultrasound. I should have been 6.3 weeks but showed up to be around 3-4 weeks according to the size of the sac. Still bleeding then I requested another ultrasound at what should be my 8 week mark and the sac had grown considerably, but no heartbeat and no baby. My dr. recommended that I have few more HCG level test done and it did show a slow down in the levels raising. My dr. calculated that it would another few weeks before my body would realize that there was no baby and then miscarry. I am greatful for technology and was able to have a D&C done weeks before I would miscarry. I couldn't bare being so sick any longer for nothing.
Anyway... to comment on your thoughts.. I think if they didn't see a yolk sack before and now they do; things look like they are progressing. If you are worried, keep getting your HCG level taken often and they if there are any questions later they can reference back to the numbers and it would really help.
|

replied December 8th, 2009
i Guessed on my last period date and know im 2 months along. That can't be right and i told the doctor that it was foggy. Meaning im not to sure about my last period was. If im 4 weeks along instead of 2 months Should they see a sack?. Plus my HCG level are 210.. Thats not normal is it. I took a pregancy test today and it still says im pregnant.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
Shrunken Sac from 4 wk. U/S
Pepper, I'm in the same boat. Although I know my last period was for sure 11/2, I thought I had implantation bleeding on 11/10 (my period stopped on the 6th). By 11/19 I had a positive pg test--went to the doc who did a vag u/s and saw a sac but no endometrial thickening. my hcg came back neg so he decided it was just fluid in the uterus, not a sac. but on 12/1--hadn't gotten my pd yet. took another pg test and came back pos again! went back to doc, saw a sac again (looked the same as the "blood") but this time w/thickened lining. doc took blood which came back at 12. he told me i must have JUST implanted and my first visit I wasn't pg at all, just a false pos pg test (Target brand--could be why). Yesterday, I went for what should have been my 5 week scan. Sac was a 1/4 of the size from the week before. Doc said "I'm sorry" and said to come back in 2 days to rule out ectopic (didn't see any sacs in tubes but said it could be too early.) He took more blood and called me later at home saying my HcG was 615, way higher than the 12! So now he thinks my dates may STILL be wrong, or it could still be ectopic...I go back tomorrow for another scan. SO CONFUSED! Why did doc say he was sorry? Shouldn't he have waited for the blood before indicating a loss? Or, at least realized I'd had one pseudosac before, maybe the one from last week was just fluid as well? HELP!
|

replied December 13th, 2009
No Sac during U/S on 5th week
Hi, I just did my U/S and vaginal scan last Friday (11/12), the doctor cant see anything not even a sac. The doc told me that it should be still early because she
explain that it could be 5 weeks only. Is that true? Has anyone has the same encounter as mine?
|

replied September 14th, 2012
normal anteverted uterus with intact endometrium clear adnexae
this is the result of my 5weeks sonogram of the pelvis.The uterus is anterverted, empty and measures 7 x 3.45 x 3.92 cm with smooth borders and homogeneous parenchyma. Posterior cul-de-sac shows minimal free fluid collection. rest of the cervix is intact. what is this means...
|