Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

White Blood Cell Count High with Traces of Blood in the Urin

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I have had a dull to sharp pain on my left side at the bottom of my ribcage for about a week. Went to my internist and she said that it sounded like Shingles. Then she took a urine sample and found the white blood count to be high with a trace amount of blood. I was then sent to a hospital where they did a CT Scan and everything came back negative on that. I am still having the pain, no rash has broken out (so no Shingles) and I don't feel any better. Any ideas what is going on and could this possibly be an ulcer?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2006
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass, Colon Disorders Answer A689
If there is an increase in white blood cell count AND blood in the urine, then you probably have an urinary infection. You can request an abdominal ultrasound to check for kidney stones. Microbiological analyses can identify any possible infective agent and its sensitivity to antibiotics. Proper protocol is a prescription antibiotic to treat the urinary infection. Additionally, peptic ulcers can cause the pains you’ve described, but urine analyses are a good beginning for diagnosing your condition. A gastroscopy can confirm or exclude the presence of a peptic ulcer.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.