Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

My Mind Is Foggy (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hey everybody, I was just wondering if any of you have this cloudy mind symptom? Its hard to explain, I know what depersonalization(sp) is. But this is like my mind isnt real clear and I cant seem to think straight. Sometimes I have trouble concentrating and remembering things. Also sometimes I have trouble reading and my eyes feel weird, its real hard to explain but do any of you know what I am talking about?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper FrankbDC
|

replied March 28th, 2006
I know exactly what you mean. I feel like this and haven't come up with any explanations as yet or solutiions.

Along with this its also the feeling of just kind of floating around and not really being here.

If I find out anything ill let you know :)
|

replied March 28th, 2006
Foggy Mind
I've too experienced this, and put it down to not exercising (i work in an office) so i've decided to start swimming once a week and am eating alot more healthier - i'm hoping that this will make a difference! If it does, i'll let you know!
|

replied March 28th, 2006
I found that taking a cold shower will sort of snap me out of it for a while, plus its good for your skin. But im still looking for a permanent solution.
|

replied March 29th, 2006
Experienced User
Hey its got a lot to do with your mind focusing on it as well. When you are concious of a feeling it kind of makes it worse. I try to do any thing that will take my mind off it, if you fill your day with activities it really does help as your mind is focusing on other things!
|

replied March 31st, 2006
They say too much masturbation causes this. Try stopping masturbation. Also eating junk food causes this. You should eat 2 parts fresh fruit and veg for every other food item you consume. Also you are probably sleep deprived.
|

replied April 4th, 2006
I Too..
I am experiencing this too, sadly at a more extreme level, as it seems to progress over time. I have been diagnosed with lyme disease, but I can never be sure if it is causing my neurological symptoms. I feel like im in a dream... 24/7. I lose a sense of awareness that I didnt notice until it slipped away. It gets worse when I dont sleep enough.
All around tired, really.
Im physically exausted, tired of hoping, tired of trying, tired of life.

This is a sad way to live, and no one diserves it. I've been labeled a pothead at school because they dont understand. Few do.
|

replied August 24th, 2012
foggy cloudy mind
I feel for your circumstances..
I too feel this way at times especially after a few beers that causes this cloudy confusion and fog feeling.
But i suffered from anxeity when i was in my twentys now 50. over come alot of my problems through meditation group.
But ive also found its alot to do with oxgeyn or lack of it so to speak and as a result some one once said to me ive got restricted blood vessels around the brain area.
this is why now if i go out for no more then four beers i feel this foggy more the following morrning, its symtoms are not clear thinking axious feelings. and avoidence of others. concentration poorley. and just plan diffucult with my own body and mind.
but dont worry. avoid booze if you can. no more then three beers if poss. and any pot what so ever.
other then that if that is not the case for you.
eat haelthy dink a glass of fizzy soda morrning and night this helps bring air to your blood vessles.
get plenty of rest. avoid to much coffe or tea aswell only it seems to stimulate the condition , especially coffe. theres something in the bean or poweder. that increases anxeity.
and try and find a group some were non religeous and take up meditation for 20 mins day and evening.
I know it seems quite a list but try what feels good for you.
your first port of call might be youtube for meditation ideas.
beleive me meditation works but you have to alppy yourself every day dont try to hard.
but for staters look at youtube find something there regarding meditaion. that suits your way of life and thought patterns.
wish you well and dont be hard on yourself.
everythingworks out fine evetually.
o yer sorry about my spelling mistakes.
good luck
|

replied August 24th, 2012
foggy cloudy mind
I feel for your circumstances..
I too feel this way at times especially after a few beers that causes this cloudy confusion and fog feeling.
But i suffered from anxeity when i was in my twentys now 50. over come alot of my problems through meditation group.
But ive also found its alot to do with oxgeyn or lack of it so to speak and as a result some one once said to me ive got restricted blood vessels around the brain area.
this is why now if i go out for no more then four beers i feel this foggy more the following morrning, its symtoms are not clear thinking axious feelings. and avoidence of others. concentration poorley. and just plan diffucult with my own body and mind.
but dont worry. avoid booze if you can. no more then three beers if poss. and any pot what so ever.
other then that if that is not the case for you.
eat haelthy dink a glass of fizzy soda morrning and night this helps bring air to your blood vessles.
get plenty of rest. avoid to much coffe or tea aswell only it seems to stimulate the condition , especially coffe. theres something in the bean or poweder. that increases anxeity.
and try and find a group some were non religeous and take up meditation for 20 mins day and evening.
I know it seems quite a list but try what feels good for you.
your first port of call might be youtube for meditation ideas.
beleive me meditation works but you have to alppy yourself every day dont try to hard.
but for staters look at youtube find something there regarding meditaion. that suits your way of life and thought patterns.
wish you well and dont be hard on yourself.
everythingworks out fine evetually.
o yer sorry about my spelling mistakes.
good luck
|

replied April 4th, 2006
Heh, me too :(

just recently i've been posting here trying to help people, and now I became one of them.

To set things straight - this is not depersonalization. I remember how dr/dp feels like, but this is different. It feels as though I became dumber, I lose track of words that I read. I also have troubles going to sleep.

This is how I explain this. Personally in my case, it might've been caused by stress. I'm a graduating senior (getting done this june). Over the few last semesters, i've had to work harder than anybody else, partly because I don't enjoy studying but still have to get good grades, and partly because I mismanaged my curriculum plan earlier. At the end of the previous semester, I ended up having to study and understand an entire book of advanced math, in order for me to pass the class. I haven't slept for days, and was in constant fear of failing the class.

The class is over now, I didn't fail it. But I think the prolonged stress finally got me, and I snapped.

I quit smoking. I quit eating junk. I'm planning to start exercising regularly once i'm through college, which is soon.

This "foggy brain" condition is weird, and it used to cause severe panic attacks in me. Not anymore. I'm kinda used to it now, basically I feel like I didn't sleep for one night.

If you people figure out what it is, let us all know. Also, the guy who decided to fix the condition with regular exercise - keep us posted. Back in the day I used to lift weights, and it helped a lot my mental and emotional wellbeing. Now unfortunately, the circumstances keep me from taking good care of me, so i'm coping temporarily.
|

replied October 31st, 2006
Definitly I know where you guys are coming from. Its killer on me cause im in college and I need to pass my classes. Sometimes it get me real down but reading that theres more people out there helps alot. I just wish I knew you guys in person becaues no one knows whats going on with me here and so have to just deal with it on my own. I guess the best thing to do is say !**@! it and to try and live life.
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2009
I know I feel this way most of the time when I get sick. But I do get this way once in a while, for example during a midterm test. I completely blank out, and the next thing I know there's only 10 minutes left and I'm not nearly done...it would be great if someone could find out what this is.
|

replied October 13th, 2009
I've had this feeling now for about 4 months. It started in june 2009 when i was hospitalised due to sum heart problems. Back then this 'foggy' thing wasn't as huge problem as it is now, I believe it is worse now because I'm waking up at about 4am every morning to catch train to school while going to bed around 11-12 am. I'm going to have to change my sleeping pattern and exercise a bit more and hope it lessens. I'm male
|

replied November 7th, 2009
HELP ME.........
What i have been through is difficulty thinking,forming thought,following conversation, and cant think striaght...and every time i speak with someone i cant think of word to say to them..and sometime im afriad that one day i would forget how to communicate with ppl or even talk to them..and sometime when im around ppl i feel like im watching anime without subtitle...what should i do?please help me....
|

replied November 11th, 2009
Some suggestions based on my experiences...
To anyone else, does it feel like your mind is trying to do a thousand things at once? Like you just can't get it to focus on the one thing you want to do, and you're too easily distracted?

Sometimes, it feels like early-onset alzheimer's, doesn't it? I'm only 22... I shouldn't be having problems like this. I forget things I know, or I just can't get my mind to focus right. It's all fuzzy. Like when I'm trying to read a book, and I have to re-read a sentence ten times just to understand it--just because my mind seems to be lazy about interpreting it like it should.

I've had some hits and misses with treatment for my case. Lots of short-term fixes; drinking a cup of coffee, for instance, parts the clouds a bit for a while. Some herbs like ginkgo biloba work to some degree too, but its effects fade in time and don't last very long.

But what could be a permanent fix? And why does it happen? I see some have recommended exercise. Cardiovascular exercise and stretching seem to have the greatest effects, cardio because of its effects on the circulatory system and stretching for its stress-relieving tendencies (I think).
|

replied December 14th, 2009
I lived in the fog, but it doesn't have to last.
I know exactly what everyone is talking about and I didn't start having these problems until after I had a panic attack. I found that melatonin and other natural sleep herbs from enzymatic therapy would help me sleep without resorting to habit forming medication, meditating on Bible verses and praying would calm my anxiety, and exercising in the morning would reduce my anxiety and clear the fog in my head about 30 minutes after I was done. I deal with this on a daily basis and I believe it can be controlled. Don't let it control or rule your thoughts. Focus on what you are doing, what you should be doing, and other people around you. The key is to shift your focus on positive, reasuring things. Think of things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, praiseworthy, noble, and other positive things. Replace the doom and gloom with hope and a smile and know it is temporary. If your having trouble focusing, find a quiet spot and close your eyes and have a positive reasuring thought or quote to focus on for 5-10 minutes. Take a breath in for 4 seconds and a slow breath out for 4 seconds and feel your body relax. Also find someone you can talk to about it. I was super emberassed to bring it up to my wife and ashamed that this happened to me, but don't be ashamed, know that you can clear the fog and get rid of anxiety and worry. So I want to encourage people not to give up, not to let this rule your life, and keep battling. I think stress and worry are the main causes and this forms a habit of worry and mental "fog". Just tell yourself your fine, your healthy, there is nothing to worry about, take a deep breath and count to 10, and tell yourself to STOP. Some days I feel totally normal and like my "old" self, and other days its a constant struggle. So keep on keeping on!
|

replied June 24th, 2011
Hello friend! Smile

I can't tell you how much your touching words spoke to me and really helped me. I've tried EVERYTHING stress relieving, but in the end I think you're right. I think you just need to take a deep breath and fill your head with positive thoughts and love. I actually tried that a few times and that is what helped me more than anything. I think this all began with me from having my 2nd daughter and being home with 2 kids under 3. I also feel like I have no one to talk to about this and I really wish I did have someone. Reading your post has given me some hope for the future. Something I haven't felt in a long time. Thank you, friend! Smile
|

replied April 10th, 2012
your kind words has touched my heart i have had this problem for a while now that i dont feel like my self and cant focus on anything around me but i see once u relax and dont think about it and think on whats good and have someone to sit and talk with about it, you really feel super good about yourself and not one what's gonna bring you down thank you very much Smile
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2010
Foggy brain
I too have been struggling with having a clouded mind, poor memory as well as a number of other symptoms.As I began researching this I came across what is called "Candida"...Come to find out every sympton I was experiencing was because of this yeast /fungus overgrowth that starts in the gut and is mainly caused by antibiotics both prescribed as well as the meat that we eat that is found in there feed, and poor eating habits..I thought I had Psoriasis really bad and the poor memory was from excessive partying as a kid and a really bad car accident. So I came to one website that lead me to a stuff called " Threelac " it claimed to clear the foggy mind as well as other symptoms...it cleared the skin problem but still struggled with poor memory and feeling like I was in an accident and was trying to come to....like you just woke and hadn't had enough sleep. So being that its mainly from a poor diet, the things that had been administered into our foods in the past 50 years that never have been before...antibiotics...pesticides for and steroids ( why do the young girls develop fastewr now ???...I went to Whole foods and came across "Paragone" its suppose to remove parasites from your body but the clerk told me it was also a great candida cleanse and this began clearing the fog, My memory is a lot better and I'm not struggling for words as much and its only my first time using it. I would suggest going to the "Colonix" website and getting a 2 or 3 month supply it'll cleanse the colon and all tyhe toxin that get into the bloodstream and causes all of these side effects...Hope that helps...
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Believe it or not, i had the exact same problem, mine was due to the partner i was dating. She was a psycho that created a lot of fog (fear, obligation and guilt) Once we split ways a few months passed and its pretty much all clear now. I myself ignored gut feelings i had about this person and for years it let me slide slowly into a dark, foggy place. Her game was emotional blackmail and she did it often. I see very clearly now, i'm eating properly (no junk) and feel a lot better for it.

Donno if this relates to any of you, but if you do have a partner and they're testing your love on a constant basis, get out of that relationship fast. Examples would be, them saying stuff like "if you don't come over you don't love me" or "you don't own me to you put a ring on my finger" crap like that, even fake fainting episodes or them always complaining that they feel sick etc. Its all tests to measure your love since they don't understand it.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
To the reply above me....bro I completely relate with you. I've been back and forth about my mental cloudiness issues. I used to take a multivitamin and fish oil every morning and haven't in a while. I think that may have something to do with it. But I was also in a relationship that was 80% of the time unhappy. I never ever felt the ways I do now before I started dating her. I truly believe being in that relationship brought me into some sort of mental funk. It's been about a month now since we broke up and I'm slowly but surely seeing a progressive difference.

I still do have some of those cloudy feelings but I'm optimistic about continuing to feel better. I have considered going to my doctor or seeing a psychiatrist just to be sure. I would like to say though that your mind is extremely powerful and a lot of times stress and anxiety can make you believe something is wrong with you when you're actually perfectly fine. But that's an optimistic viewpoint.
|

replied February 5th, 2010
You'll find as the months pass things become much more clearer, You'll start to remember things said and even done by your partner that will make you go .
Even now after 6 months i still remember things that screamed at me "Warning, get out of this relationship!"

Her own father was warning me not to marry her, I always thought it was because he was happy in his relationship with her step mother as defacto but looking back it was always said with fear in his eyes.. not advice but a warning.

I got advice from a psychiatrist, my sister has a mate that is one and he basically told my sister that my ex was a total nut. He couldn't believe all the stuff that i put up with. All the lies, temper spaz attacks and fake shallow emotions (crying and turning it off in a split second or crying when normal people would be angry etc)

It does my head in more thinking that i put up with all this and didn't realise what kind of person i was dealing with. If i could turn back time i would have told her to funk off within the first few months. Live and Learn, i have a PHD in psycho chicks now.
|

replied March 19th, 2010
Hmmm I have this too. I've had relationship-induced cloudiness before, but this I'm having now is different. There is no direct emotional cause. I've been teaching and tutoring on the side for 10 years, and sometimes I have a really hard time remembering the simplest things. At times, I jsut even kinda go on auto-pilot, but not willingly. Does anyone notice this when they are driving too? It's so weird. And scary.

I do agree, eating better and exercise helps. I've started with daily vits and fish oil which has definitely made a difference in my overall living.

But with the mind fog thing, it's like running up a hill. You keep trying and falling, ironically, partly DUE to the mind clouds themselves.

I mean, it has got to be something humans are ingesting now that was not part of our prior ecosystem or some dietary something or another, because so many different types (age, gender, ethnicity) of people are affected. I think I will try that Paragon from Whole Foods recommended by Joey.

Thanx!
|

replied July 4th, 2010
It is so good to see there are other people out there just like me. I was starting to worry it was something a lot more serious, but after reading all of your comments it seems as though its quite common.
I have stopped exercising for around 4 or 5 months now and I am slipping into my old ways and eating less healthy meals, and snacking a lot on cookies and toast. I do find that exercise helped me a lot before, but I am feeling too lifeless to find the motivation at the moment. It feels like I'm thinking of everything, but thinking of nothing at the same time - and I have issues I do not want, or I am not ready, to face.
I am in a relationship with a person who has bipolar disorder, which makes things incredibly difficult at times. I don't want to leave him just because he is bipolar, it isn't fair. He has sat up with me all night when I've been having panic attacks!
After reading this page, I think exercise and a healthy diet, and even meditation or yoga or something will help me a lot. Thankyou all, and I will keep you posted!
|