Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Muscle Twitches In Left Arm. (Page 1)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Hey,
i've been experiencing a frequent twitching of my arm, sort of inner arm, above my elbow for a couple days now. I really became aware of it yesterday and wondered if I pulled a muscle or overused it. But it's still there today. So I looked some information up about muscle twitchings online and found that they are possible signs of als ( lou gehrig's disease ), spinal muscular atrophy, muscular dystrophy, and myopathy. I tend to worry, especially about my health. Ok, so i'm a hypocondriac, and I was wondering if I can get some help with this problem. The twitches last several seconds and are visible looking at my arm. Sometimes its quite a while between spasms, sometimes it is only a few minutes. Please help.

Thanks,
ajay ollis
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper areobie
|

replied February 9th, 2004
Hi ajay it sounds like u have what I have, benign fasciculations. I have it mainly in my legs and feet although when im tired or stressed I can get them twitches anywhere! I also get a lot of pain. If ur concerned ask to be referred for a emg (electromyograph) to see just whats going on. I doubt u have anything sinister but it will put ir mind at rest. Hope this helps
|

replied April 7th, 2004
Left Arm Muscle Twitch
I have been experiencing a twitch in my left arm below and on the inside of the elbow, near where the arm creases. Although it is not painful, it is very distratcing and persistent. I thought this may also be a benign fasciculation after reading up on muslce twitches.

Is there anything that can prevent or stop these? Can any medication cause these? I take zoloft, zocor, diovan and protonix.

How long can I expect the twitches to last? So far, it has been about 5 days. Thanks!!
|

replied July 1st, 2004
I been having the same trouble but I also get tingling I found out from my doctor anything can cause it like a virus or stress or even a infection cuz your body freaks out I had a infection in my splean and liver and it made them enlarged so they were pressing on nerves and caused me to ahve twitches but you still should get it checked out the sooner the better cuz then you can stop it before it gets worst and also if you have panic attacks they cause alot of those things try to relax if that dont work get to the docs as soon as you can
|

replied July 29th, 2007
Twitching In Left Arm
Hi
I've also been experiencing twitching on my left arm just above my elbow. This just recently started happening. I've also noticed that it happens at night. What could it be? Is it something i should worry about?

Thanks
|

replied September 21st, 2007
Muscle/nerve Twitching Right Arm
I found this web site trying to find information for my husband. His right arm began twitching in July. He tried massage, heating pad, and lessening weight training, but it did not let up, so he made an appointment to his primary care dr. The dr. told him it was probably an overused muscle and gave him an anti-inflamatory and told him to return in 2 weeks if it did not stop. Let me describe his symptoms: twitching in his right arm from his tricep to his elbow 24/7! After taking the medicine, and it not helping, he returned to his doctor. By this time he and I were concerned, because I had to him that he might have symptoms of multiple sclerosis, but it generally affects the legs, but has been known to affect the arms first in some individuals. Anyway, after this visit he told his doctor his concern and the dr. referred him to an neurologist. After waiting a month to see him, the neurologist did looked at him and did an exam and told him that he did not have a neurological disorder and to not think about it! He said that he continues to have the twitch that he could come back in a month and have a nerve test, but it is pretty painful. He reassured him that he had 25 years of experience and that he was a very healthy man. Mean while his arm still twitches and the day September 21. Does anyone have and suggestions? I forgot to mention the twitch is pretty strong you can see it and it feels like a pulse but not a consistent rhythm.
|

replied April 9th, 2011
this should help
hey i dont know if this will help him but it helps me 24 male healthy any way i get twitches in my fore arm close to my elbow the right arm i simply stretch my arm forward so the back of my hand faces me not the palm and i pull my fingers back this exercise is a stretch exercise it stretches your tendons in your arms that work your fingers and um er em lay off the caffeine if possible lol i drink a lot of that but ya the twitch should go away right after the stretch do it every day 30 seconds each pull back as many times youd like spread the word if it helps him

Rob
|
Users who thank areobie for this post: VinodV 

replied April 20th, 2012
muscle spasm
Thanks, this stretch helps me when I have arm muscle spasms.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
muscle spasm
Thanks! This stretch helps me when I have arm muscle spasms.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
Twitching in Arms
In Indian (Hindu) mythology the Twitching of Arms have positive or negative signals for upcoming events. If it is in the left arm it is said to augur well but if it is in the left arm is not considered a good sign. I want to know if such things happened in your husband's case as I am also having the same problem.
-Prem, India
|

replied December 6th, 2012
Arm twitching
Is it the left arm good or bad?
|

replied July 10th, 2012
It's possible that there is a psychological issue underlying the physical condition. Pyschotherapist A.A. Brill and various other students of Freud have used psychoanalysis to help patients with mysterious and unexplained physical conditions. You might find it useful to research a bit on the effects of repressed psychological content in the causation of physical symptoms.
|

replied July 10th, 2012
It's possible that there is a psychological issue underlying the physical condition. Pyschotherapist A.A. Brill and various other students of Freud have used psychoanalysis to help patients with mysterious and unexplained physical conditions. You might find it useful to research a bit on the effects of repressed psychological content in the causation of physical symptoms.
|

replied October 1st, 2012
I also get these spasms in different areas of my arm, and my research leads back to nerve and spinal chord injuries and conditions. After reading so much on those, I went back to my medical records and since I also suffer from scoliosis, I believe my spinal chord is either pinching or pulling a nerve that runs to my back. Since I found out about the scoliosis, I've also been getting sharp pains in my shoulder at random that feel like I've been struck by a small projectile or a needle in my shoulder. Its very painful and causes me to clench my whole arm. He may want to be examined by an orthopedic doctor instead of a nuerologist. Hope this helps
Steven 17 healthy muscular male
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2013
I have had the test that the neurologist is talking about. It is not extremely painful. For me it was no worse than IV pain. Which isn't bad. The worst part is when they took the very very thin needles and put them in the upper part of the arm. Not bad at all. We only have one body and I am not sure why the neurologist didn't order the test. I've had numerous nerve tests (EMG). I highly suggest your husband gets the test done if he is still suffering from the twitching.

God bless!
|

replied December 12th, 2008
arm twitching
Yea, my arm ahs been doing the same thing. It's my left arm and right below the crease. And also i can see it popping out. It's freaky. Does anybody know what i should do.
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
arm twitch
mainly at night i have twitching in my left arm and sometimes right above my elbow. it occurs oon my inner arm or along my outer arm and/ or area where some people have bisep muscle, but i do not. it feels kind of like a pulse but doesnt usually last to long adn stops usually if i move. i can see it moving when i look at it and was wondering if this is normal
|

replied January 31st, 2009
Arm twitch
the twitching could happen when u take too much caffine so try easing off the coffe or energy drinks and try not to drink coke or dr pepper. cause they seem to have the most caffine in them.
|

replied February 11th, 2009
Arm twitch and stress
I have the same thing, arm twitch what used to be legs twitches as well. Turn out it was a narrowing of my spine where the nerves pass through. After a lot of excessive exercise and/or stress it gets worse. Also if I play golf excessively and walk the course it gets worse. I rarely do this but Xanax makes it go away. It lasts a few days then goes away. Problem is more worry makes it get worse. Vicious circle.
|

replied February 19th, 2009
twitching in left arm
I've had a twitch in my upper left arm for the past couple of days and before that my left shoulder area was painfull, any ideas to what's going on.. I don't have any insurance so I don't have a Doctor either.. Any help is appreciated...
|

replied April 29th, 2009
twitching on top of forearm
i ve been having some twitchin in my forearm at random times of the day, usually when im sitting down or resting.. it also sometimes makes my finger twitch.. does anybody have any advice for me?
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Shingles?
I too have been having arm twitching. I am in the middle of a bout of shingles that travel across my chest, through my armpit and to my back. I imagine since the virus that is casuing the shingles is attacking my nerves in that area that it may be the cause of the twitching. Just a guess though.
|

replied July 17th, 2009
reply to arm twitching
I get the same twitching at times and its almost like an electric shock that affects my arm. To control it I have to relax and pray as I also have a brain tumor residual that I take meds for and follow-up mri's. Bottom line I guess it can be caused by a neurological or brain affliction. Hopefully its just stress but not knowing for sure causes causes anxiety. God bless all with this problem and hope its benign.
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Im only 18
My left arm is twitching by where the shoulder and the arm connect. I am only 18 and have not drank to much caffine.??
|

replied September 26th, 2009
"Ummm, yeah, there are parts of my body that are doing things it normally has never done before. And it's been going on for a few months now. What should I do?"

Hmmm?.... AH HA!

GO SEE A MEDICAL DOCTOR!

Seriously ppl, the original question was posted Jan 2004 and the first answer was posted Feb 2004, that person told him "If ur concerned ask to be referred for a emg (electromyograph) to see just whats going on."
But, for some reason every person that commented on this post said they experience the same twitching, and "oh it's never done this, what should I do?"
Come on ppl, get with the program here.....
|

replied October 1st, 2009
arm twitching
hmmm, so i guess Im not allowed to say i got the twitching to, and its driving me nuts, sure wish it would go away, probably stress though, been under alot lately.
|

replied October 11th, 2009
The self centered person (read id-ot) that suggest go see a doctor and get with the program must not have heard about people living isolated and far away from doctors. I am, in an island of the South Pacific, and my new left upper arm twitching found a reasonable explanation here, since my coffee intake has recently increased.
|

replied October 23rd, 2009
I have a frozen right shoulder which is being operated on within the next 12 weeks.
For the last few weeks the outside of my arm (just under the shoulder) has been twitching visibly but with no real pain,just an awareness of it.
Could the two be connected or maybe I have something else going on ???
|

replied December 13th, 2009
Try Magnesium Chloride Oil for Muscle Spasms
Try applying magnesium Chloride Oil. Often you will get twitching when you are lacking magnesium. Come back and share how it worked for you so others can benefit from your experience.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Srinivas Singaram
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov