Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Is Gnc Brand Good (Page 1)

Whats the opinion of gnc vitamins and supplements.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Nightmare07Gt
|

replied March 22nd, 2006
To enrich your urine of course!;-) I think they're just trying to make money!

Actually, one only needs a multi-vitamin if they don't eat a balanced diet or are pregnant/lactating/could become pregnant...I've always read it's pointless to spend extra bucks on special vitamins because the walmart brand (or wherever you shop) are just fine.
|

replied May 7th, 2006
><
Mullberry you are dead wrong about vitamins, and about the quality of the pills.

No matter how well you eat everyday it is virtually impossible to achieve the level of nutrition that you will find by taking decent quality suppliments.

Edit
|

replied May 8th, 2006
#1 i'm not dead wrong. Vitamins are vitamins any way you look at it. They'll work the same way cheap or expensive.

#2 it is possible to eat a balanced diet and take in almost everything you need. So many foods are fortified these days.

#3 if you're going to show me links to prove i'm "dead wrong", make sure they're not dead links.
|

replied September 3rd, 2007
Quality of Gnc Vitamins
I just purchased some "store brand" coral calcium from GNC. The product is "GNC Coral Calcium" in a green bottle. Both products have a "capsule" that comatins the coral calcium. I compared it to the specialized Health Food Store Coral Calcium that I have been taking by putting one pill of the GNC brand and one pill of the Speciality Store brand in a glass of water to see how fast they disolved. About 2 hours later, the Specialty Store brand's capsule had totally disolved, but the GNC brand's capsule was still intact.

So I though, perhaps the GNC brand needs an acidic solution to disolve properly. So I dumped out the water and replaced it with white vinegar in the GNC brand. 6 hours later the capsule was still not disolved - even when I swishd it around.

If it won't disolve in water or vinegar, it sure isn't going to disolve in your stomach.

I thought that I could same moey by buyig the GNC brand but I was very mistaken. I am returnig the GNC brand.

I wanted to post this so that others would be aware of this issue - it's an easy test to do.

dan
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Stomach acid and water are two totally different things! LOL
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Stomach acid and water are two totally different things! LOL
|

replied September 7th, 2007
Where Did It Go
I remember posting a detailed reply on this topic a few days ago. I wonder what happened to it.
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Mulberrywine is correct, one can achieve their vitamin needs without the assistance of multivitamin pills.

However, most everybody I should say, doesn't eat properly, thus why multivitamins come in handy.

Should be careful if you already have a high DV% of certain vitamins through food and take supplements on top of that, you could risk overdose. Your body can store some, but it can take only so much before it becomes toxic. Iron intake should be monitored in men, because men do not lose iron quite as well so there isn't a need to replenish supply. Women however, need iron quite a bit more since they go through menstruation.

Back to the main topic, GNC = quite a rip off. I've taken a few supplements from there, a few whey proteins, currently muscle milk, glutamine, leukic, yadda yadda. I don't know about the vitamins there, but I think they care more about the money, they overcharge moreso then a few other places I have been. Try to have a healthier diet, that way you don't need multivitamins -_-.
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2007
Community Volunteer
My recommendation is taking whole food vitamins, such as "Alive". These are multivitamins which dissolve quickly and absorb into your body because they are not chemically formed or come from things that we would never eat and cannot digest: they are foods that we'd eat anyway. Just imagine it as cramming a whole bunch of spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. into a pill.

The reason why most regular multivitamins don't work is because they are separated from their natural sources, so the body doesn't recognize them as food and thus indigestible.

It is possible to eat a balanced diet and not need a multivitamin at all, but it would take a lot of work to figure out exactly what you need on your own and very expensive to invest in the consult of a nutritionalist.
|

replied December 10th, 2007
GNC is good, I personally don't use them. But my older brother and my brother-in-law, both of whom are in their late 20's, take GNC vitamins, they are good. But there are better vitamins out there.
|

replied December 12th, 2007
I prefer the Vitabase Brand They are great with quality and have even better prices. You may want to check them out.
|

replied February 28th, 2008
GNC Vitamins
Actually there is a huge difference between GNC vitamins and Store Brand (Centrum, One A DAy, insert generic here.) The FDA does not regulate any supplements on the market. Therefore GNC goes the extra mile to have an outside company, NSF, to come in and do a 150+ quality check including the make-up of the supplement, the expiration, the quality, and overall purity. Think of it as the Food Underwriters Association.

GNC vitamins are all natural and the levels of vitamins and minerals are a lot higher and a lot more complete than a Centrum, One A Day, or a generic vitamin. Centrum, One A Day and other generics are synthetic vitamins. You only absorb about 15-18%, if that, of a synthetic vitamin. GNC is all natural, and time released. They actually disolve immediately just in water. You cannot get all your necessary nutrients throught the food you eat, even if you eat a "clean," organic diet. You would have to eat a bushel of every vegetable, and other foods every day in order to get the amount of nutrients you get from a GNC vitamin. Also, our food is so processed these days that all the nutrients have been literally zapped out of the food. I highly encourage everyone to throw their generic, one a day vitamin away and pick up a GNC vitamin. I personally see and feel the benefits.

Don't get me started on fish oil....
|

replied March 14th, 2008
Experienced User
I completely agree Buff. It is "possible" to get everything you need by eating a balanced diet, but studies have shown that people don't do that. Not to mention that our food and soil these days are incredibly depleted of nutrients. You also need to look at your definition of "need". If what you "need" is to just get the bare minimum of supplementation (which is actually what the RDA values are...the minimum amount to prevent such diseases as berri berri and scurvy) then you can opt for something with fewer dosages. However, if you're looking for something to provide optimal benefits to help fight off degenerative diseases, you're going to need something well over the RDAs.

As for the myth that 'all vitamins are the same', that couldn't be further from the truth. A pharmaceutical grade vitamin is much better than something you buy at Walmart. Why? Because something from Walmart isn't controlled by anyone. Legally, a supplement which is not pharmaceutical grade or verified by a 3rd party (like NSF) is required to have 25% of the dosage listed on the bottle actually in the product. Meaning if you pick up a supplement which lists 100mg of vitamin c, you might only be getting 60mg.

Also, take a look at vitamin E. It comes in two forms: dl-alpha tocopheryl and d-alpha tocopheryl. The difference? dl-alpha is synthetic and doesn't absorb in your body. But it's cheap. D-alpha is natural and will absorb. Take a look at some vitamins in your local retail store and see which type they use. Odds are it's the dl-alpha type of vitamin E.
|

replied April 19th, 2008
whoever said all vitamins are the same is dead wrong. Buying walmart or supermarket vitamins is about the worst in quality you can get.

Is GNC ok not the best choich but If your choich is Gnc or walmart I would rather see you buy the GNC. I would bet if you asked the trainers at your local NFL team if the players use walmart brand supplements you would be laughed out of the room.

If you really need to buy cheap you might want to look into the vitamin world stores or puritans pride online at least they have a decent quality at a lower price than most. If you want higher quality you look for brands like Vitamin Research Products, Garden of life, Metagenics, Standerd Process just to name a few.
|

replied April 21st, 2008
Higher quality/ less expensive
I take Vitality Gold. It is an AM packet and a PM packet. It has a Fructose Compounding mineral delivery system that helps with the absorbtion of the vital minerals. Besides the vitamins in them, they also have a mineral complex, florify which helps fortify and detoxify your gastrointestinal tract with two strains of healthy probiotics, and a broad spectrum antioxidant.

I have so much more enegry with these vitamins! They are awesome!
|

replied May 26th, 2008
GNC is just flushing your money down the toilet - I know because I did. I chose Daily Life which contains a multi vitamin, antioxidants, omega 3, a vitamin that supplies you with "good bacteria" and more through a wellness company I am with. They even allow you to try their products Risk Free- trust me I wanted my money if these didnt work because I was tired of not feeling any better. To this day - 2 years later - this is the Only vitamins I will ever take.
|

replied July 9th, 2009
I take the GNC packets for active lifestyle. Do you think since there are so many pills that it could be destroying my liver?
|

replied March 13th, 2010
It couldn't be any more obvious that BuffBlonde works or has worked for gnc.. or atleast is entirely too impressionable. The flawwed logic contained in this sentence here is a dead giveaway "GNC is all natural, and time released. They actually disolve immediately just in water." The plug for fish oil at the end was just an insult to anyone who is honestly seeking real information. Having worked for gnc for 3 years, I know their marketing agenda and fish oil is at the very top. While I cannot say the vitamins do not work, I can assure you that NO products, most creatine supplements, and "detox" drug cleansers are proven not to work, at least not in the way they are marketed as.
|

replied August 23rd, 2010
What I would really like to know is who actually makes the gnc vitamins.
If you look on the label in says "distributed by gnc" not "manufactured by gnc".
|

replied November 6th, 2010
GNC Supplement Multi Vitamin
Well my husband had been taking a Multi vitamin from GNC for 3 months and felt no change. So I did The Quality Test & Dropped It In Water here it is almost 2 days later & do you know that Pill has Not Dissolved yet! At the same time I put in another Brand of Multi Vitamin I purchased from Walmart, The Walmart Brand Dissolved Immediately.. So what is this telling me? That Gnc Is Not Quality or it would have dissolved. It Was Men's Sport Multi Vitamin. Try It & You Will See It Won't Dissolve. And He Doesn't Want That In His Stomach Just Sitting There. So NO To Gnc!
|

replied November 30th, 2010
The stuff in your stomach is not water
Put a piece of steak into a glass of water and see if it dissolves. Put a piece of steak into stomach ACID and see if it dissolves. I'm not a scientist, but I think that stomach acid will dissolve those pills.
|

replied October 20th, 2011
Better Brand
Very true, which is why one should try that test in white vinegar, it has about the same acidity that your stomach does. What I want to knowis: where does GNC get their ingredients for what goes IN the pill? Is it really natural? And if it is, can they guarantee that the farms they buy from don't use pesticides? Because Nutrilite can. They are the biggest brand name in nutrition in the world, and GNC, which comes second, is still 15 TIMES SMALLER. Give that a search!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply