Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

My Eyes Hurt When I Move Them to the Side Or Up. (Page 1)

Hey people.
I have had this odd pain in my eyes for the past week or so. Whenever I move my eyes to the far right, far left, or all the way up they deliver a hearty pain to the back of my eyes and my lower forehead. I'm not sure if this is eyestrain or not. Actually i've found very little information even close to my pain. It's not debilitating or anything, but I would really enjoy not having my eyes and head hurt.
Here's info for anyone who might try and help.
I'm a 22 year-old male. No serious previous problems or injuries. I wear glasses, but my optomoligist said even if I didn't wear my glasses I should never experience pain from my unnoticiabley bad vision.
Thanks everyone.
-max
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Ryan4021
|
Users who thank maximusrocks for this post: brainybrain 

replied March 5th, 2004
Sore Eyes
Hi max...
I am experiencing the exact same thing right now. The sockets and my lower forehead hurt when I move my eyes up or to the side. My first hypothesis is that it is due to eyestrain. I spend a lot time in front of a computer for my profession and at home, but this is the first time it has ever felt like this. I am also looking for some information about this. Let me know if you find any and I will do the same. Hopefully after a restful weekend it will go away.
Thanks

fardler
|

replied March 25th, 2011
Hello,

I have the exact same symptoms as everyone else. Extreme pain anytime I move my eyes up,down, left, or right. I have read all your comments below and I am curious how long did this pain last for some of you and did anybody figure out how to treat it. Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated and come next week I will go see an opthalmolagist to hopefully get more answers. Thanks.

Mike
|

replied January 11th, 2012
Did you find out any information on your condition, I have the same symptoms as well? Thank you
|

replied March 12th, 2012
I had the same issue, even though I am a bit late I was given a deflamatory shot because the reason the eye hurts because it is a sinus related infection and the frontal sinus cavity is swollen. Usually infection within the sinuses and more precisely the front nasal cavity which are located above the nose left and right side which affects the eyes.
|

replied June 24th, 2012
im a 16 year guy and im playing alot of video games over summer break, would that cause the eye pain?
|

replied August 15th, 2013
The answer to most of your problems is probably sinusitis caused by colds and, allergies

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/aller gies-sinusitis

If you are not experiencing any of the other symptoms of sinusitis then it might be a more serious complication

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/eye-pain-c auses-symptoms-diagnosis-treatment
|

replied March 7th, 2004
Eyes Hurt When I Move Them
I have had the same problem for about a week and a half now. When I move my eyes more than just a little in any direction I get this awful pain in the back of my eyes and my forehead but after a short time I will also get lightheaded. It has been causing extremely bad headaches. I am 16, male, and I have had no problems with my eyes before this. At first I thought it could be just a sore muscle or something so I endured the pain and moved them as far in every direction I could for close to 5 minutes. It just gave me the worst headache I have ever experienced (it hurt so bad it made me almost throw up) and made my eyes red and sore. I am tired of the almost constant pain and headaches so I have been trying to find information about this but I have had no luck. If either of you hear anything about the cause or a cure for this...Or even anything about this please tell me.
|

replied January 7th, 2012
i have same problem
|

replied January 7th, 2012
anybody have wireless router in the same room , i think this is the problem ??
|

replied May 28th, 2013
Oh dear. This problem has nothing to do with a wireless router, otherwise why aren't half the population on here moaning. Don't be paranoid, it's medical.
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2004
Advanced Support Team
It is just headaches, my fiance and I had the same thing we went to the eye doctor and he says they are just headaches.

~sara~
|

replied March 9th, 2004
How can it be a headache when my eyes hurt when my head doesnt hurt sometimes..The headache comes after they hurt for a while, if they just hurt every now and then it doesnt give me a headache
|

replied March 22nd, 2004
Eye Pain When Moving Eye
I would definitely suggest that you consult with an optometrist and/or opthalmologist. I am an optician and in a case like this, I think it would definitely be advisable to consult with a professional for help, if you have not already done so. Sometimes, as maximus indicated, pain like that described can be attributed to eyestrain, especially when sitting in front of a computer, reading, or watching television for long periods of time. In addition, it could be also related to just headaches if the pain is not acute.
In loser_k's case, it sounds like the pain may be indicative of something else entirely. Definitely consult with someone as soon as you can.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Only One of My Eye Hurts
Only one of my eye hurts when I move it up or down or to the sides , ive only had it since yesterday night , is this just eye strain?
|

replied October 8th, 2005
Could Be Graves Disease
I had the exact symptoms: painful eye movement. That's the only symptom I had but it kept on getting worse. Two doctors and and optomstrist said it was eyestrain but I didn't think that was so. After four months of this, my eyes got puffy and began to burn, so I finally went to an optomologist. He took a cat scan of my eyes which showed enlarged eye muscles due to graves eye disease. Very often graves eye disease is associated with hyperthyroidism so a simple blood for thyroid dysfunction can also be diagnostic. However, in my case, only the cat scan showed the presence of the disease. If your eye pain does not go away, do yourself a favor and insist on a cat scan. It might be a bit costly but if you have graves, it could save your eyesight.
|
Users who thank aibrauer for this post: tiggergirlabc1 

replied August 30th, 2007
Spelling
Hey, I don't know what to say but just for the record, its 'ophthalmologist'.
|

replied May 4th, 2011
Just for the record: "its" should have been "it's".
|

replied January 5th, 2013
HAHAHAHA!!
|

replied September 13th, 2007
My Eyes Hurt Too!
Well its nice to know I'm not the only one with weird random eye pain. Cool
I was very concerned about this pain that just started last week and continues. I called my optometrist a couple of days ago in a panic. They listened to my symptoms, you know pain when I move my eyes left and right, up or down. No vision changes, just an achey feeling in my eyes. I was surprised and relieved to hear that simple "artificial tears" i.e Visine will aid in relieving this. So I guess its dry eyes. I just started with the drops today, and already I'm noticing an improvement. Good Luck!
|

replied February 10th, 2008
My Eyes are Killing me..
I am only 16 and I seem to be having the exact same problem. My head itself does not hurt so much; it seems like it's all in the eyes. I figured it was just associated with the cold I just got over but I am thinking not so much anymore. I think it's more than just a headache. My vision is not skewed or anything, just that intense pain when moving too far left or right; up or down. I do not know about anyone else but I also have these dark circles around my eyes. I get enough sleep so I am assuming it is related to this whole Eye ordeal.
|

replied March 25th, 2012
Actually, it might be your cold
I'm 15 and I'm having the same problem. But now that I read your post, I think it might be just a weird post-symptom of a cold. I'm beginning to get over my cold, which I've had for about a week-and-a-half. Last night I was a little dizzy, and I just woke up this morning with my eyes hurting. So let's hope that it's just because of our colds! Smile
|
Users who thank pooterb96 for this post: Tentee 

replied April 24th, 2008
Post subject: My Eyes Hurt When I Move Them to the Side Or Up.
Hi,

The pain in the eyes when you move them can also be the result of a stress or, as mention above, dry eyes.

First off all drink more water and cut down on alcohol and sugar.
Alcohol might be very stressful for your liver. Your eyes and liver are connected so watch your diet.

If you have to much stress, I will highly recommend to do some relaxation exercises for eyes, they will help the muscles around your eyes to relax and you will feel much better when you move your eyes.
|
Users who thank Evgania for this post: alouk 

replied July 13th, 2008
My eyes don't hurt- it's my head!
I feel like everyone else so far- except my eyes don't hurt that much, but I'm having these horrible headaches. It feel like someone is cracking my skull open every time I move my eyes to the left, right, up, or down, and sometimes even when I turn my head quickly. It started this morning. Even right now I have a headache, but it's in the top of my head, not the front area like it has been. I spend a lot of time on the computer, so it might just be eye strain, but I'd like to know for sure. Someone please help.
|

replied July 14th, 2008
Hi everestgirl,

you are right, the headaches you experience might be a reaction of your body on working so much in front of the computer. You must know how to relax your eyes and take short but good quality rests.

I also would recommend to drink more water and to breathe fresh air.
In your age it will be great for you to start with good quality eye exercises because it will help the muscles around the eyes to become stronger. This will help to prevent any eye problems in the future because 75% of the people who work regularly with computes get eye problems.

Look into all kinds of relaxations and a form of whole body gymnastics that will help you to increase the blood circulation to the head, so you will get rid of your headaches.

Best regards
Evgania
|

replied July 31st, 2008
I've had this a couple of times before, once I remember this happened at night, when I was watching the tele - this was when I was around 14 or something like that - quiet a long time ago, now, lol. It then stopped by itself.

--------------------------------
Here's My Step-By-Step Guide To How I've Restored My Own Eyesight To 20/20:
http://www.squidoo.com/restorevision
|

replied September 15th, 2008
I Found Relief
I Have had the same symptoms reguarding the eye pain. My brother inlaw said to put a cold pack on the back of my neck, so I did. It worked It takes a little while but the pain will subside.
|

replied October 10th, 2008
Yes, I think it is eye strain
My right eye has been hurting for the past 5 days when i move it side to side or up and down. The pain was never that bad and didn't get worse, it just wouldn't go away. By reading this page and how users believed it was eye strain, i dug out my glasses that I that I don't usually use and have been wearing them since yesterday. My eye actually feels better! When I got the glasses almost a year ago, my doctor said i could wear them all the time but mainly for seeing things far away.

I didn't think it could be eye strain because my eyes weren't dry, red or anything - just a touch sore in the back of the eye. I had been using the computer a lot, but i'm a senior in college and have been using the computer a lot for 4 years. But indeed people, it was eye strain. Start with that to try to fix it! Smile
|

replied October 22nd, 2008
I have been having the same kind of pain that many describe...pain when rotating the eye. I have a low level headache, but get a sharp pain looking to the edges of vision. I am taking antibiotics for a sinus infection and the pain is clearing up. I am sure not everyone has an infection, but it is something to consider if you have recently had a virus, have yukky drainage, etc. There are 4 pairs of sinuses located above, below, and beside the eye so it seems entirely possible that inflammation of any of these could cause pain or pressure in the eye area.
|

replied December 14th, 2008
yeah i have to same thing and it has never happened before. does anyone have this problem too? when i turn my head fast or nod back and forth any type of movement with head it feels like my head is lose in my head and its shaking slightly in my skull. weird rite? but my eyes hurt too when lookin side to side. its been almost 24 hours
|

replied December 17th, 2008
Its sinus pressure. It happen to me after i got really sick and then in a week it went away. Right now i got it again and i am not sick at all. It started off as a headache, then i thought i had a fever. But right now my eyes feel heavy and it hurts to move them around.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile