Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Stroke In 18 Yrs Old?

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
How likely is it that an 18 yr old would have a stroke? And what would pre-stroke symptoms be and what could cause a stroke?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 29th, 2006
Answer
According to it's pathology, stroke can be classified into hemorrhagic and ischemic. Ischemic stroke happens when blood supply to the brain is insufficient while hemorrhagic stroke happens when cerebral vessels rupture which also causes insufficient blood supply. None of them has any difference in presentation but is important in management. For your first question, stroke is not common at a young age because the common cause of stroke are artherosclerosis and embolism ( the obstruction of an artery by an embolus, which is usually a piece of clotted blood which breaks away from one part of the circulatory system and travels to another but can also be gas or fat ) which is common in elderly . The cause must be taken seriously in a younger person. Presymptoms of stroke is tia .Tia ( transient ishemis stroke) it has a similar presentation as stroke. Tia is defined as the sudden onset of focal cns sign and symptom < 24 hours from a reduction in blood flow. Typically the neurologic signs and symptoms of tia last for 5 to 15 min but according to definition, it is <24 h. Common symptoms of stroke include abrupt onset of hemiparesis, monoparesis, or quadriparesis; monocular or binocular visual loss; visual field deficits; diplopia; dysarthria; ataxia; vertigo; aphasia; or sudden decrease in the level of consciousness . Although such symptoms can occur alone, they are more likely to occur in combination. Unless there are better advisor, I cannot answer the prestroke question fully. This is because stroke most commonly present acutely or sudden but in ischemic stroke particularly in the elderly, it may presents gradually from a decline in intellectual function ( dementia ) with or without sensory limb deficits. Hemorrhagic stroke is also sudden with neck stiffness, headache and vomitting with or without brain damage.
What are the causes of stroke ?
Ischemic stroke
1) cardiogenic embolism : it is when there is an embolism from the heart the the cerebral arteries. That only happens when there is a valve disease or a thrombus in the heart chamber. Young adults with congenital ( born with it ) heart defect, a history of rheumatic fever or bacterial endocarditis are causes in young adults.
2) small arteries disease : for example artherosclerosis ( narrow or vessels from the formation of a plaque) which is usually in the elderly and hpt.
3) large arterial embolism : this could be artherosclerosis, infective causes ( syphilis, tuberculous ) , collagen vascular disease (takayasu, systemic lupus erythemathous and giant cell arthritis; all are in young female except for giant cell arteritis which is seen in elderlu ).
4) blood disorder : polycythemia rubra vera, antiphospholipid syndrome, sickle cell disease

hemorrhagic stroke
trauma, tumor, bleeding tendency, vascular malformation are some of the causes.
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
18 year old stroke survivor
My name is Amanda Horne, I survived a massive brainstem stroke at 18 due to a blood clot that passed through an unknown hole in me heart called a PFO which was a birth defect i knew nothing about. Its been 4 years since my stroke and I have never met another 18 year old stroke survivor and I probably never will so although it can happen, it is extremely rare.
|

replied September 17th, 2009
im 18 and it was confirmed today that i had a stroke last week. the reason is unkown yet im to go for more testing next week. so fare everyone is amazed that i had a sroke. i went to the hospital with no clue what was going on with me unable to move or talk, see,and hear. now that i know i had a stroke all the syptomspoint to it
|

replied October 23rd, 2009
My girlfriend is 18 and she jus had a stroke
My girlfriend is 18 and she just had a stroke yesterday, she couldn't walk, but she could use here hands, and her speech was getting worse through the day. It started yesterday morning but she was only admitted at half 8 last night. Do you if it is a major issue that she took long to be admitted, and if there will be any consequences for it? Did it take along time for you tow to recover? How do I comfort her?
|

replied December 5th, 2009
I am 20, and I had 2 strokes when I was 18. I was in a bad car accident and the first one was on impact, with the second one occuring while I was still in a coma in the hospital. I am curious, do any of you still have headaches? I still have really bad headaches, or really just sharp pains that last seconds on the side that I had the stroke on or in the very back of my head. I never thought to check online and see how many other people had strokes when they were young, but I'm glad that I did. It is really rare, and very unlucky. I still have facial nerve damage, things just arent the way there were before.
|

replied December 20th, 2009
18 year old stroke
My 18 year old daughter had a stroke in May09. After lots of tests, they discovered she had a PFO, which is a hole in the heart that is present in about 25% of the general population. It can be a factor in stroke in young people.
She had the hole closed in a procedure that involved passing a catheter up from the groin and inserting a small device into her heart. Sounds horrible, but it was a simple op and she hasn't suffered any ill effects.
The main problem she has now is aphasia, the stroke badly affected her speech.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
hello there..i am sorry to hear about your daughter's stroke. My husband had one last year- he cannot speak. I know how very hard it is. I didn't realize how vital the power of speech is until it is gone. I hope your daughter is doing well and getting good support for her communication. All the best.
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2009
On average age, stroke could be start to occur?
|

replied October 7th, 2010
Hi there. my daughter is 7 years old and had a stroke in june 2010, it was an ischemic stroke it was confirmed it was an arterial stroke, they do not know the exact cause of it, they discovered she has a blood clotting disorder which played a part in the stroke but no cause, cardiac wise she is normal. it damaged her third cranial nerve and now has double vision and a droopy eye lid. can anyone tell me the recovery process and time period, for a child who has suffered a stoke? all her doctors say the damage is irreversible but i do not and will not accept that answer.. any help i would appreciate.
|

replied September 15th, 2011
im 18 years old, i had a stoke 7 weeks ago, where i lost movement of my whole right side and i couldnt speak. however now, i can move it all, and my speech is slowly coming back. feel for anyone that has to go through this, since i had nothing wrong with my health before, family history is all clear, nothing! the doctor said it was 'bad luck' ....
|

replied May 25th, 2012
18 year old having strokes.
Hi everyone! I was 18 when i had a minor stroke.. last July. I felt brain dead, and after a couple hours couldnt talk. I feel normal now, but the doctors told me my stroke was caused from by birth control patch (98% chance) i recently had another MRI to be certain, and it showed i had at least a couple more since my last one.. So it was not from the patch. They assigned me baby aspirin to take once a day when they found out about my first stroke. I was off of it for 5 months cause i figured it was probably just the birth control and i was fine. WRONG. so now they're planning a procedure to get the hole in my heart closed, cause they recently found out i have a hole in my heart that never closed up when i was an infant. I am now 19 years old and am so scared for my future.. i just hope i never have a stroke ever again. I am hoping after my procedure i will be back to my normal self.
|

replied September 25th, 2012
Mini Stroke
I'm 19 and had a mini stroke in June 2012, the doctors say it was due to my birth control pills. I stopped taking it right away. Having the stroke was the scariest experience of my life! I don't know if it is because I am more aware now, but I definitely notice more now when I stutter. Does anyone else notice they do? I also feel like somedays I stutter a lot more than others, is there a chance this could be some damage from the mini stroke or am I just extra paranoid?
|

replied July 3rd, 2014
I'm 18 and have had several instances where the right side of my face goes numb then tingles. It is getting more frequent. My right eye, right cheek, and right side of my lips will sometimes twitch (not all 3 at the same time.) I have been having issues with my speech. I will forget what I was going to say or say the wrong word. Sometimes I completely screw up my sentences. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I'm becoming increasingly concerned.
|