Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Doctors Don't Know Whats Wrong!!!!! Please Help!

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
I am writing about my husband who has undergone several test and the doctors are telling him that they still don't know whats wrong with him. I don't believe it to be colon cancer though. He has had blood in his stools for about 6 months and just told me about it 2 weeks ago. We immediately made an appointment and he ended up having a colonoscopy done where they removed a 2cm polyop from his colon. Well two days later (on new years eve might I add!) after not having any blood following the procedure, he suddenly had a toilet bowl filled with blood. I took him up to the hospital where he there had another bloody stool. The doctors decided to go back in and check to make sure the wound was heeling ok and they also went down his throat to check for bleeding ulcers. Everything was fine and they didn't know what was wrong. What also added to the confusement was that his back has been hurting and since the first colonoscopy he has had increased lower abdominal pain which worsened following the first bloody stool. In fact it wasn't even a stool but just blood. They did an upper gi today and it came back negative which leaves me to believe that maybe the doctor might have made a mistake. He has yet to have any more blood in his stools as of yesterday and today so first I would like to know if it is possible to not bleed the day right after the colonoscopy but all of a sudden have a toilet full? And is it possible that the doctor might have made a mistake and the bleeding was caused by malpractice? But does that seem to explain the abdominal pain? Also the doctor mentioned that if nothing showed up on the upper gi then the next step is for him to swallow a pill with a camera. And is it possible that the blood came from a mistake that the doctor is trying to cover up? I appreciater your time and concern. I appologize for the lengthy explanation...Just though you should know all the facts...Thanx again!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 3rd, 2004
Experienced User
Based on your summary the doctors are currently doing all of the logical tests to determine the cause of your husbands heavy bleeding episode.

Most experienced doctors will recommend against having a colonoscopy done, unless it is warranted because of the chance of post procedure bleeding. In your husbands case it sounds as if their recommendation was sound based on the symptons presented too them.

If the doctor did nic a section of bowel by mistake, it can bleed heavily. Any damage caused during the procedure is generally considered to be a normal risk associated with the procedure, rather than malpractice.

If he is givven the option of swallowing the camera pill, take it as it is excellent diagnostic aid.

Mike
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile