Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Melanoma - Skin Cancer

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
My step-father recently went to a dermatologist and found 5 different spots of melanoma. They did a biospy and it came back cancer. The dermatologist has referred him on and said it is mohse. Does anyone know what that means?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Do you mean mohs surgery? Mohs is a type of surgery, but it is usually used to remove basal cell carcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma, not so much melanoma. But, maybe that's the technique they plan to use to excise the malignancy. That's the only thing I can think of that it means. Hope that helps!

Crystal
|

replied August 29th, 2009
mohs surgery for melanoma
i had stage 3 melanoma on my left ear lobe. i had basel cell on my face and the Mohs surgery was used for it. It probably depends where the cancer is located on the body. it may be possible to remove the melanoma if it hasn't went beneath the top layers of skin. it took appr. 3 hrs. to remove my cancer off face. they can get a good margin with this type of surgery. i hope this is all they have to do to your dad. i had to have 30 lymph nodes removed from my neck.
|

replied August 30th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi godsgirl2 and welcome to ehealth: The post you answered was three years ago, so don't expect a reply...However, I wish to reply to yours....You are a very lucky young woman that they caught yours as well as fortunate to have such expert surgeons to remove the cancer that needed to be taken out...I am familiar with this as our son has had a number of them taken out...He, too, has been lucky....Thanks again for your reply....It means a lot to the people that are looking for answers...

Take care,
Caroline
|