Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Painless Lump On Mastoid Bone

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Approximately 3 months ago I was suffering with what seemed to be a chest infection. My gp said it was probably viral and therefore did not prescribe antibiotics. The illness continued and I returned to my gp about a month later. He prescribed me a course of amoxycillin and I felt much better. Around about the same time I noticed a small lump in what seemed to be the lymph nodes behind the ear. Knowing that i'd had an infection I was unconcerned. A few months on the lump is still there but it doesn't feel like a lymph node anymore. It is solid, painless and I am not able to move it. There is no associated ear pain and my blood tests (esr and total count) were normal.
I returned to my gp who on examination said that she was convinced it was bone but she referred me to ent to rule out whether it is lymph or not. I'm still on the waiting list to see a consultant.
I have started to get a strange slighlty numb/tingling sensation on two areas of my head. I'm not sure if the source of this is my scalp or my bone.
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. I'm worried it could be somethng more sinister than a swollen lymph node.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 19th, 2009
Please Share Your Outcome
Owen, it's been 3 years. And .... what did the consultant say? was it lymphatic, or was it a small protuberance on the mastoid bone? I am interested in the 'strange slightly numb/tingling sensations on your head. I have had these for years (normally following a bout of flu) and they last for months. Had a neurologist check them out about a decade ago with no conclusion. Yet, they still occur ...
|

replied October 27th, 2009
hardened lump - mastoid bone
I have a hard lump there too, it feels like a bone but is not because there isnt on the other side. Im actually seeing an ENT tomorrow.
|