Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

What can Cause Recurrent Kidney Stones?

Must Read
More than a million people get kidney stones in the US annually. But what is a kidney stone? How many types of kidney stones are diagnosed?...
Can kidney stones be avoided? Learn the common causes and factors that can put you at risk of developing a kidney stone here....
How do you know if flank pain is caused by kidney stones? Learn to identify the common signs and symptoms of kidney stones in this section....
User Profile
I have had recurrent kidney stones for the past 10 years. I have had several litotripsys (about 10) some for the same stone and other for diferente stones in both kidneys. Although I don't always drink the amounts of water I know I should I take some care. I don't have an awkward diet -I eat what most people eat. I not a fast food adict and I only drink socialy and even so a beer or too over the weekend What I am asking you is what can be the causes of such a high recurency of kidney stones since I have heard of people having recurrent kidney stones but never so often.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2006
Kidney Conditions Answer A672
Kidney stones appear when a substance is excreted through the urine in bigger concentrations than urine can dissolve it. Sufficiently large substances that can’t be dissolved by the urine precipitate in the renal pelvis and transform into stones. Additionally, metabolic disorders can complicate matters and cause higher production of such substances in larger quantities. When these substances are excreted through the urine in larger concentrations, they can increase the risk of precipitation. Some physical conditions also decrease the ability of urine to dissolve excreted substances... even if those substances are excreted in smaller concentrations. This is the reason doctors encourage patients with kidney stones to drink liquids (water) as often as possible. Expelled stones are then examined to identify their chemical ingredients. According to their chemical nature, a proper diet is then recommended to decrease the likelihood that similar chemical substances enter the body again, and repeat the process.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.