Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Woken Up Nightly By Arm Pain, Numbness And Tingling. (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
For about 1 year I am woken up once or twice every night by pain in my right arm. The arm is numb, tingles (worst in the hand) and is cold. After 2-5 mins shaking and letting it hang down it clears. In the day same symptoms if using a strong grip, like the handlebars on a bike. Symptoms never occur in my other arm, and the positioning of the left arm seems to make no difference (eg: if hanging down when asleep symptoms still occur). Seems to be getting slowly worse. Help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile wendigo_chaser
|

replied March 18th, 2006
Night Time Arm Numbness
I just posted this in another thread, but you have the same issue that myself and many others have. You may want to see the other thread regarding this issue [it's the very last link on this page] as there is some additional insight to this problem there. Here is what i've posted elsewhere:

i first awoke to this feeling on christmas day 2005, while laying on my back with my arms to my sides - a very natural & non-contorted position. This alarmed me, as one immediately thinks the worst [heart attack]. After standing, it went away. I'm a 39 y/o male who is in the prime of his sudden heart-attack years, and i'm about 20 lbs over my ideal weight.

Three months later, i'm still plagued by this problem, mostly at night and mostly in my left arm but occasionally in both. From my research, it looks to be a common "pressure palsy" from a nerve either being pinched or the blood flow being reduced or stopped to the affected limb. Typically i'm a side sleeper, and surprisingly this occurs most when on my back.

Approximately two years ago, I was rear-ended at an adjusted speed of about 40 mph. Since then, beginning about two months afterwards, i've had neck & shoulder pain, sciatica [numbness in my right leg (removing or relocating my wallet to my left-rear pocket usually resolves or avoids this)] and finally this arm numbness. Unfortunately for me, the statute of limitations has run out so I cannot pursue his insurance company to pay for any related procedures, and I fear that I will continue to have ongoing and increasing health issues because of that accident.

Seeing the chiropractor usually brings lasting relief from this annoyance.

Perhaps these links will be of help to you. I suggest that you see a doctor in any case, but especially soon if you're additionally experiencing chest and/or throat pain as this may be an indicator of heart disease or the onset of a heart attack. Good luck & take care of yourself :)

http://www.Tvo.Org/yourhealth/medicine101/ nightnumb.Html

http://www.Medhelp.Org/forums/neuro/archiv e/8811.Html

http://www.Medhelp.Org/forums/neuro/messag es/33394.Html

another thread discussing this topic on eheathforum:
http://ehealthforum.Com/health/topic1326.H tml
|

replied April 10th, 2006
Re: Woken Up Nightly By Arm Pain, Numbness And Tingling.
Sleep study may find out why you seem to be going hypoxic.
Drop in blood flow shalow breathing all this can cause sleepy arms.
|

replied April 13th, 2007
Well At Least I Am Not Alone
And this isn't the only page of this on this same sight. Now if anyone went to a Dr.. and got us an answer I went to my Dr.. the other day and she sent me to an orthopedist in which I didnt make the appt. yet but she said arthritis but I dont think so.... LOL not that I am a Dr. or anything. I know I kind of sleep on my arms but I am 32 and have always done that. This has been happening since Novemeber '06. Waking up a few times a night never really sleeping. I have bags under my eyes from not enough sleep!!!!! I am going to try stretching every night before I go to sleep someone suggested that also. It cant hurt!!!!! Good luck! If i get any answers I will let you know it may help everyone else!
|

replied April 18th, 2007
Binaural Beat Secrets
Hi,
I understood you are problem, i think this web site is useful to you and all
this web information about "Binaural Beat Secrets" Please go through this site
http://www.binauralbeatsecrets.com/
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like you have cervical radiculopathy from possibly a bit of nerve root impingement in your neck. An orthopedist or neurosurgeon can diagnose this for you with an MRI of your neck. There are many treatment options:

Medication
Oral steroids
Injected steroids
Manipulation (chiropractic or Oseopathic)
Physical therapy
surgery
|

replied January 30th, 2009
numbness in fingers, hands, arms and shoulders
Need to know what is going on and why this is happening to me I haven't been able to get a good nights sleep in so long I am constantly tired from not having a good nights sleep. I wake up throughout the night from all the horrible numbness in my whole arms both of them and now it is affecting me during the day. Help what is this!
|

replied March 13th, 2009
jessie8 - any news?
Hi Jessie8 - it's March 12 '09 - It sounds like I have VERY similar symptoms as you...please tell me if you are better, and if you found out what is causing this!!! It hurts so bad & i get little sleep as well.
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
sleep disorder
I recently got CPAP, pressure of 14 following sleep study with 506 episodes of apnea and hypopnea, and O2 falling to 60%. I have been on the machine for less than one week. Last night and two nights agp I awoke with tingling, numbness and pain in my left arm. It took a few minute the first night and about 45 min last night to go away. No other pain any where else. I usually sleep on my right side, but awake on my back. CPAP was in place. Help
|

replied November 11th, 2009
Nightly numbness in hands
I suddenly started getting pins & needles and a burning feeling in both hands and arms through the night. I read up about methods that would ease the discomfort.
I started a DVD work out and running on the treadmill every other morning...That worked.
Having mixed hot and cold showers.....that helped.
Keeping healthy and watching my weight....
But now I'm 33 weeks pregnant I can't execise...so I'm stuck for ideas of how to ease the numbness in both hands....Help!
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2009
Like Schoolnurselh, I started CPAP at a pressure of 9 about ten days ago, and since then, sleeping on my back, I have woken on several nights to find my left hand feeling 'fat' and numb. I plan on asking the Respirologist when I have a video conference with him in a week or so. Is there a link between CPAP and hand numbness or between sleeping on back and the numbness?
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Arm and shoulder numbness while sleeping.
I went to my Dr. and as soon as I told her about my arm numbness while sleeping and how I couldn't get a good night sleep she said B-12. I was advised to take a B-12 suppplement. She was pretty certain that was all I needed. I am buying a bottle today and will advise.
|

replied November 10th, 2011
B-12
Did the B-12 work? My sister actually made the same suggestion to me and I was considering adding a B-12 to my multi.But I am curious if the B-12 actually worked for you.
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
i hurt my neck doing press ups last year and since then i wake up every night almost , with numb arms and pain in my armpits and shoulders. the forefinger on my left hand is permanently numb, but i can still move it..
i saw a doctor in the UK and he said "And what do you want me to do about it ?" he said i should just grit my teeth and get on with it. I was prescribed amyltryptamine and dihydrocodeine. they will take the edge off when it gets real severe pain.. which it will if you got the same problem i have. sorry to say it but this is bad s**t
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
numb hands
Has anyone heard of a 6 yr old boy waking up with numbness and pain in his hands. It is not Carpal Tunnel. We dont know what is causing this. If anyone has information that might help, can you please let me know
Thank you
Shelly... very tired and sleep deprived.
It happens every night.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied July 13th, 2011
Thinks the side affects and stress of stopping smoking can also cause arm pain. My mother says when she suffered bad stress years ago all her bones hurt. She says now though that with no stress she is ok ?
|

replied July 13th, 2011
I have put up with this on and off for years. First came on after a good few workouts with heavy weights. Put it down to that. At first just below my elbow i felt a sharp pain. This has gone now (pray !) but if i flex my hand back (imagine how your hand would be when doing a press up) i get a real shooting pain to the right of my wrist.

Now two more even weird things about this are, i know if i take a power nap on the couch for a hour say the pain will be there actually have to have a bath which really helps (hot never cold).

The next one i am on my second attempt to stop smoking bot ciggies and cannabis. Whilst smoking cannabis this pain NEVER NEVER occurs. I would never suggest that you should smoke cannabis, as i am guessing it is just masking the problem and comes with major health risks.

I am starting to think two things that the original injury is pressing on a nerve and then with the increase blood flow that comes with stopping smoking is causing more pressure on the nerve.

I suspect carpel tunnel syndrome one good test is put your hand in the press-up position (hand bent back to the arm and apply some pressure. If you start to feel pain it could be carpel tunnel syndrome. I do have a doctors appointment tomorrow and will update you.

I am not a doctor and all of this is just my own opinion but the cannabis pain relief is one great result as I am walking proof that this plant DOES HAVE PAIN RELIEF and that more research should be done into SATIVEX (Google this). email me if you have any tips or want to know how i get on in the future.

PS THIS PAIN FOR ME IS ALWAYS AT ITS WORSE AFTER A POWER NAP SAME FOR ANYONE ELSE?
|

replied August 31st, 2011
pain, numbness, tingling in arms while asleep
I have been having this problem every night for the past three weeks....waking up with shooting pain going up my arms, and the same horrible tingling/ "numb" sensations that others have mentioned. I went to an orthopeditic doc today and he just gave me a script for a week of prednisone and tramadol. He offered no possible explination for why this is occuring and spent a grand total of 2 minutes seeing me...not even asking about the pain. I'm not sure what type of doctor I am supposed to see for this type of thing, but it obviously was not him. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know
|

replied January 5th, 2012
10 years ago after complaining about excruciating pain in my arms at night (like electricity charging through both, i discovered i had an extra rib on both sides. after one rib was surgically removed on the right side, the pain was gone on both sides. now, i have it again in both arms, waking me up several times a night. i am 74 and don't want another surgery at this age, anything i can do?
|

replied January 5th, 2012
arm pains in both arms at night
10 years ago after complaining about excruciating pain in my arms at night (like electricity charging through both, i discovered i had an extra rib on both sides. after one rib was surgically removed on the right side, the pain was gone on both sides. now, i have it again in both arms, waking me up several times a night. i am 74 and don't want another surgery at this age, anything i can do?
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Try sleeping on your back with an almost flat pillow under your shoulders. Let your head fall slightly backwards off the edge of the pillow. I use a foam pillow since they squish nearly flat when you lay on them. If I do this and never let my head fall forward during sleep, I get a lot of relief from the pain.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply