Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Right Arm Pain, Numbness And Tingling At Night (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
For about 1 year I am woken up once or twice every night by pain in my right arm. The arm is numb, tingles (worst in the hand) and is cold. After 2-5 mins shaking and letting it hang down it clears. In the day same symptoms if using a strong grip, like the handlebars on a bike. Symptoms never occur in my other arm, and the positioning of the left arm seems to make no difference (eg: if hanging down when asleep symptoms still occur). Seems to be getting slowly worse. Help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dwolff
|

replied March 18th, 2006
Do you have a back injury? It sounds like nerve damage, but if you have no injury it sounds like poor circulation, but I don't see it as circulation problem since you only have it in 1 arm...
|

replied June 8th, 2006
Re: Right Arm Pain, Numbness And Tingling At Night
Could be stress on a nerve in your neck. The nerve between c6 and c7 vertebrae, if pinched, can cause tingling, numbness, or even severe pain all the way down your right shoulder, upper arm, elbow, forearme, and hand. Are you sleeping with more than 1 pillow? Try cutting down to 1.
|

replied January 9th, 2007
Pain In Right Arm
Hi there,

i too suffer from the same ailment you do. I will wake up during the night with pain radiating from my right shoulder down to my hand. I have noticed that the cold night air sets it off. If I keep the shoulder, arm and hand covered with a blanket, I usually don't awaken from the pain. I am a diabetic and have neuropathy, and this may be why I have this condition. My mother does the same thing; she too is diabetic, but she also has rheumatoid arthritis. She doesn't know why she awakes with this pain in her right arm and hand - her shoulder usually isn't sore. After one of these episodes, the muscle between the shoulder and elbow is very sore to the touch. I also have difficulty lifting my arm to brush or blowdry my hair. These episodes take place more often in the winter because of the cold air. When it first happened, it was constant, every night, for about six months. Over the last 10 years, it has decreased in frequency. However, I just had a bout this week due, I believe, to the cold night air. (i live in california where it has been pretty warm at night, but recently the temperature dipped to around 40 degrees.) while I can usually get up from bed and walk around with my arm hanging down by my side to relieve the pain, it didn't happen this time. Every time I tried to lay down to go to sleep, it would start hurting again, which leads me to believe that it is a combination of the cold night air and pressure on the nerves in my arm. Anyway, the next night, I made certain to keep that arm covered with a blanket and warm, and I have had no problems since then. Maybe that will help you too.

Try keeping the arm warm at night--it has definitely helped me.
|

replied October 22nd, 2007
Injury Right Arm
Yes i have pain in my right arm from a fall i took a few months ago.Everytime i lift on anything i feel the pain in my forearm and especially at night trying to get to sleep and getting in a position to do so.Well i hope that you feel better and not have so much pain. Surprised Surprised
|

replied November 27th, 2007
Right Arm
I have carpol tunnel from work, you might also have this, the symtoms are exactly what you said. The dr. needs to run a nuralogist test to really deturmine if you have C.T.
|

replied December 22nd, 2007
Back And Arm Pain, Numbness, Tingling And Coldness
I had an vehicle accident xmas of last year at which point I placed both hands on the dash and the airbag deployed. I damaged both hands was told I was fine. However I have tremendous pain when picking things up and now my right arm goes numb from my shoulder to my elbow at which becomes very painful, then my elbow to hand are numb and my hand gets ice cold, and my fingers curl up. After about an hour it subsides but my arm feels very heavy and fingers swell and are stiff. When I pick things up like a wet towel it causes a sensation that makes my hand react where I have to drop it. What could be the cause, I am desperate and I'm not getting any help or answers? Another thing that happens is between my shoulder blades it will start hurting and my shoulders will draw backwards and I can't straighten or move it excruciating. PLEASE HELP!!!!
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
right arm pain
help! i've been having this right upper and elbow area pain and numbness for a week. i never had this problem before and went to see an acupuncture. it seemed to help somewhat but the pain is still there. he suggests to change my posture using computer. i cannot lift my arm with heavy object and bending the arm inward is particularly painful. Any suggestions? i don't have any known ailments.
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I suggest all of you go to the doctor instead of asking here for something like this.

I would assume its some sort of nerve problem, but the cause of it can be many. You guys might be getting carpel tunnel just from being on the computer all day, or it may because you sleep in such a way that cuts off circulation from your arm, etc. It is hard for us to ascertain the possibilities as to why you are experiencing these things.

Go to the doctor.

Speleo, did you have your arms towards the upper part of the steering wheel when the crash occurred? I assume that is how you injured them, when the airbag hit your arms from that position. Even though it is merely a bag, it apparently pops out at 200 miles per hour, quite a painful slap.

I'm not sure what this topic is doing in fitness though. It has nothing to do with exercise and conditioning/etc.
|

replied December 18th, 2011
Are you a doctor???
|

replied July 28th, 2012
pain in right arm at night
Yet you gave an answer
|

replied April 10th, 2009
martinax i have the same pain and it is aweful i have jus bought weights to tone up and as i did this started to happen and it is not good as i cant lift them because as u have explained clenching or stuff like that really hurts funny thought really its not the way you sleep on the arm as they are two different pains as ive notice i need to get this sorted i think you should visit the doctor
|

replied May 24th, 2009
Pain in right arm, hand, wrist & elbow
My pain is from handeling heavy machinery all day and lifting logs to cut and shape with chainsaws,grinders & various other sanders. I also work difficult horses.
The firm grip in my right hand and the strength needed in awkward positions to prevent injury and do the job, has caused pain in my right arm, elbow and hand at night. It seems to go numb and if I don't awaken in time, then developes pins & needles as well.
My wrist and hand has become weaker in this time and if I stretch my hand, it tingles and hurts. I suspect C.T, but cannot think of how to prevent any further damage & continue my work without medical intervention. However, will I still be able to continue a heavy work load if it needs surgical repair.
Work is my lively hood and I cannot afford time off; I am my own boss.
|

replied May 24th, 2009
hey so this is my theory Very Happy my arms use to do as you have stated and i started to pump weights at first lifting weights with this pain hurt but fight through the pain and the blood circulation in your arm is more greater for the exercise you have done by lifting the weights after this i kept the blood flowing and no problems now Very Happy just great
|

replied June 19th, 2009
Pain in Right Arm
Everyone needs to see a Doctor. The pain and numbness could be from one or a combination of things.

I have had pain in my right arm for just about 1 year now. I swear it started when I was making Potato Salad last year for the 4th of July. I have always workout and used to lift weights, until now. I can lift light weights if my arm is close to my side. If I hold my arm out and try to lift any weight is when the pain hits pretty good. Even holding the blow dryer causes pain. I sit at a computer almost all day at work and I get a dull pain running down the inside of my upper right arm, down to the forearm, and wrist. I had horses in the past and many accidents from riding. I had x-rays last year and it showed arthritis from an old injury between cervical c6 & c7. I have been going to Physical Therapy just this last week because the pain has not gone away and seems to be getting worse. My hands started getting numb today too. Don't know if this is all nerve damage, arthritis, carpultunnel,(spell??) over use of muscles or what. Can't sleep at night from the pain.. wakes me up. Anyway, hope everyone feels better... Go see a Doctor.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
rt arm pain
many of you describe ulnar nerve entrapment. occurs with injury,overuse of joints(sports, texting ,etc). go to a DOCTOR!, that,s what they,re for, diagnosis and treatment.
|

replied August 6th, 2009
shoulder pain and hand and arm tingling
i had severe pain in my right shouder from vacuming the stairs that lasted about 6 weeks,then it went better when i kept my shoulder warm,it eventualy went away,and now i am left with a tingling sensation in my hand and lower arm ,i seen a pharmasist who said it could be nerve damage,its tingling when i lift my arm or when i rest my arm on a chair.i will see a doc soon and see how i get on ,christine liverpool uk.
|

replied January 7th, 2012
radiating pain down the arm
My doctor told me that I really wasn't hurting. That's why a lot of us end up on sad internet forums...
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Upper right arm pain
I HAVE seen a doctor, I have had an MRI, I went to a Nurologist yesturday who was to do a Nerve conduction test and DIDNT because on his initial poking and proding, pulling and pushing he didnt find anything abnormal. Well when I wake up in the middle of the night with pain from my shoulder to my elbow and I can barely catch my breath or lift my lower arm and hand maybe you should try those tests THEN. I cant believe he went against my doctors request. So now what? The only option I have is to try to figure it out myself and looking into what others have found is step one. Thats why alot of the people here are asking. So STOP telling them to go to the doctor. Im sure they are bright enough to know that. If anyone has had the same problem as I have and been diagnosed I would appreciate knowing what you found. Thanks!
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
Pain, tingling and numbness in right shoulder, arm and hand.
Don't give up, keep going until they find out what is wrong. Doctors are not GOD, even thought some things so. There may be more than one or two things wrong, it is a process of elimiation. I have pain in my whole right shoulder to my finger tips. My right hand gets cold like it is dead, it tingles, numb. There is pain no matter what position it is in. I had surgery to remove bone. That allowed me to lift my arm completely over my head and before surgery it was at best maybe 40%, 45% caused to much pain and I physically couldn't lift if higher on my own. Now they are checking to see if I have something wrong in my neck.
|

replied August 24th, 2009
Help !!! My husband has been waking every night for the past week complaining about his right arm being numb. And do not tell me to take him to the doctor, I do not have insurance for him . Only my girls and I do. I am scared and am affraid it might be something very seriuos.
|

replied March 27th, 2011
The pain your husband are having maybe what they would calls refer pain. That pain could be his gallbladder. Or,do your husband sleep on two pillows; if so get rid of one them. Because, that pain could also be coming from him neck; too much pressure on the nerves of C6 and C7. Tell him to try sleeping on one pillow.
|

replied August 29th, 2009
Right arm and sholder pain is often a sign of a GALLBLADDER issue. It seems hard to associate, but on the nights that you wake up with pain did you have something fatty such as ice cream, whole milk, or fried foods before you went to bed??
|

replied September 11th, 2009
I have been having this problem nightly for several weeks.. not getting much needed sleep due to pain and tingling. Saw the Doc and he suspects Thoracic Opening Syndrome. Have been doing the exercises but still no relief. Sad
|