Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

I Have an Ovarian Cyst...What is the Normal Diagnostic Proce

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
i had a ultrasound today and was told that i have a 4cm ovarian cist. I wanted to no weather this stops pregnancy occuring, And because of the pain and eratic bleeding what will they do! They cant leave me like this can they?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2006
Ovarian Cancer Answer A656
Ovarian cysts smaller than 5cm, combined with menstrual abnormalities usually indicate functional follicular cysts for women your age; such functional follicular cysts can heal spontaneously by themselves. If an ovarian cyst persists for more than two menstrual cycles or is bigger than 5cm, it has to be treated surgically. Laparoscopy is a very useful diagnostic procedure that helps a gynecologist decide which treatment can be most effective. You can follow up with your gynecologist to determine whether or not it is safe for you to conceive.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.